Skip to Content

3,500 copies!!!! am I crazy

15 replies [Last post]
Anonymous

So my opoly style board game is coming along, and I've been seriously thinking about the number of games I want to produce its a city game, so only people in one particular city will buy it. At the beginning I had 1,500 copies in mind, but when I have talked to manufacturers, and gone over the numbers my only real profit will come from 3,500 copies. Am I crazy to go through with making so many copies? since I read 20 Things to do with 3,500 Games it hasn’t exactly put my mind at ease either: http://www.gamefest.com/news/blog_detail/1313_0_16_0_C/ .
any suggestions out there? go with 3,500 or play it safe but not really make a profit

thank you all,

Aaron l

Dralius
Dralius's picture

Only you can decide how much money you are going to risk on this. What I do know is that small producers commonly start with a run like 1,000 pieces and base the next print run on the sales from the first so if it’s not doing well they are not out much but if it turns out to be the hot game of the year they can do as many as needed be it 1000 or 10,000. Sure you save per piece with the big order but warehousing games that don’t sell for long periods of time can out run that savings + what is known as shrinkage; the loss of product due to accident or theft, can be a problem too with long term storage.

Good luck

Joe_Huber
Re: 3,500 copies!!!! am I crazy

Aaron_l wrote:
So my opoly style board game is coming along, and I've been seriously thinking about the number of games I want to produce...any suggestions out there? go with 3,500 or play it safe but not really make a profit

Question #1: What is your primary goal?

Question #2: Could you find additional ways to bring the costs down and thus make a profit with fewer copies?

I live in Westborough, MA, a town of 15,000. The local Civic Club printed up an -opoly game for the town; they produced 1,000 copies, and over multiple years have sold some 700 or so.

However, they reduced their costs by allowing local businesses to advertise on the board.

Joe (who owns a copy, a nice thank you for giving a speach on game design to the Civic Club)

Anonymous

Also, you need to consider your methods of distribution. Are you using established channels of distribution? A company? Are you doing all the leg work and making the contacts and pushing the product yourself? 3,500 games is a lot to sell, especially if you have to find stores willing to buy them, stock those stores and track your receivables.

How big is your company? Is this your first/only game? Do you already have established contacts? Either way you will have to stay vigilant to sell them all.

I'd be interested to hear from some game store owners about how manygames they typically buy (both mediocre and well-selling games) at a time. It may be that you will be able to sell only a few at a time. And even then, if you're not using a distributor, you may have to settle for consignment in some stores.

The answer to your question depends on your finances (are you paying for everything yourself, do you have a bank loan that must be repaid, are you borrowing from friends/relatives), your tolerance for risk (can you or your friends/relatives afford to lose most of the money you spend on getting your game produced?), and your desire to get your game out there. You will need to have the business sense and the unbridled drive to do whatever it takes to see your game sold.

Best of luck!! Please let us know how it goes (I for one love to hear about any member's game that gets published).

phpbbadmin
Re: 3,500 copies!!!! am I crazy

Aaron_l wrote:
So my opoly style board game is coming along, and I've been seriously thinking about the number of games I want to produce its a city game, so only people in one particular city will buy it. At the beginning I had 1,500 copies in mind, but when I have talked to manufacturers, and gone over the numbers my only real profit will come from 3,500 copies. Am I crazy to go through with making so many copies? since I read 20 Things to do with 3,500 Games it hasn’t exactly put my mind at ease either: http://www.gamefest.com/news/blog_detail/1313_0_16_0_C/ .
any suggestions out there? go with 3,500 or play it safe but not really make a profit

thank you all,

Aaron l

Hmmm. If it' strictly related to a city, you may want to try to get a museum or some other local instution to help finance the venture. Also, you could sell spaces on the board to local businesses (I.E. instead of Park Place you could have Joe's used autos, etc.). Be creative with the financial aspect! Talk to the mayor, talk to the chamber of commerce. With a game as specialized as a city version of monopoly, you may actually find it *easier* to sell all those copies. Good luck with your game!

-Darke

Anonymous

There is no real risk involved for me the whole production of the game. It is all paid for by advertisements, its fairly beautiful. It’s an "opoly" game made out of businesses and landmarks.
This is my first board game, although I have a few connections with businesses across the city, as they will be advertising.

The production cost can't be lowered its fairly standard for what I want.

Keep it coming you guys are great,

Aaron

Zzzzz
Zzzzz's picture

If you are trying to make any money on the deal, it might be hard. You have two factors against you, the real monopoly game and demand for a your city specific version.

Do you have any information that gives you enough idea as to the desire for your city specific version?

Even for 3500 copies, would you be able to set a price that would make the game affordable for the public? And could that price compete with a standard price for a monopoly game?

I guess my big concern would be the number of copies and the demand. If you have 3500 copies and your in LA, you might have enough population to justify that run. But if your in a city with less than 100k of people, you might not have a big enough target population to sell that many copies.

Keep in mind 100k does not mean that all of the people will play games, and of the people that do play games, they most likely wont all buy a copy.

Chip

Have you tried pre-selling the game before you manufacture it? Doing so does two things: it's an indicator for how easy it will be to sell the game after it's manufactured, and 2) could provide some capital to help pay for the manufacturing upfront.

Do you plan to sell directly to customers/end-users of the game, thus pocketing full retail price? Or will you be selling to game stores or other merchants who in turn will sell it for retail price? The economics of the situation are much different if you can sell at least some of the games at full retail price yourself.

Are the stores/businesses depicted on the board willing to purchase copies? If you're able, you should try to get these companies to purchase the game and give as gifts during the holidays to their clients/customers.

Chip

Anonymous

Aaron_l wrote:
There is no real risk involved for me the whole production of the game. It is all paid for by advertisements, its fairly beautiful. It’s an "opoly" game made out of businesses and landmarks.
This is my first board game, although I have a few connections with businesses across the city, as they will be advertising.

The production cost can't be lowered its fairly standard for what I want.

Keep it coming you guys are great,

Aaron

Side note: You're name is Aaron? So is mine. I guess all Aaron's were brought to earth to make board games.

Anonymous

Hmmm pre-selling that’s an idea, I'm still far away from doing that but yeah it would really let me see who’s interested.

Umm setting the price of the game wont be a problem as the game itself is paid for in full. I'm more afraid of what the hell I’m going to do when I’ve sold 1000 copies and I look in my basement as see only 2500 to go.

Yeah I think I really should check more on the demand, and who would buy it.

Sorry I’m just writing out my thoughts as I think of them,

Regards
Aaron

Oracle

Aaron_l wrote:
Umm setting the price of the game wont be a problem as the game itself is paid for in full. I'm more afraid of what the hell I’m going to do when I’ve sold 1000 copies and I look in my basement as see only 2500 to go.

I might be missing something, but I don't see why the game being paid for means setting the price won't be a problem? Is it because you don't mind a price that means you're taking a loss?

Can you get each of the sponsors to have a display of them to sell to their customers? That will help you sell more copies and get a lot of copies out of your basement and into the sponsors space.

Have you said what city this is for?

The regional -opoly games I've seen are usually around $40 while the basic game is around $10 (there's a great source of bits). Would it make your production more practical to just produce and sell the board, title deed, and community chest/chance cards. It might well bring your retail price down more than the cost of a complete monopoly game.

Jason

Anonymous

I will have a set price, but I'm saying the price is not dependent on a production cost, so any set price will do. For example If I created a game which cost 35 dollars to produce I would have to sell it for 40 just to pay back my production fees, and make a little profit. Although this game I could sell it for 20 and still be making profit.

I'm out of the US so it won't really help to know what city I'm in.

Thank you all

Aaron

P.S. I'm in Israel by the way

Zzzzz
Zzzzz's picture

Aaron_l wrote:

I'm out of the US so it won't really help to know what city I'm in.
P.S. I'm in Israel by the way

Ummmmm please dont take offense, but if you want people to be able to honestly give you help, knowing facts always helps. Knowing what city you are targetting would help someone (such as myself) check into the potential market audience and then I would be able to better anwser your initial post topic of

It seems that you are a little concerned with someone stealing your idea, well I can tell you not many people on this board will go through the trouble of trying to sell any type of "opoly" game. So I hope that is not a reason you are being vague.

Also you stated in one post that you want to make profit but you also say the price you set does not matter, you say if it cost you $35 you can sell it for $40, can you? Knowing you can sell it for $40 is a big piece of the puzzle. Because if the production cost is only $15, and you could sell it for $40, you only need to sell half of your copies to "break even". It also allows you more flexiblity at setting a price your consumers will like....

I guess the only thing I can add is that if the cost of production is not a problem and you honestly feel you can set the price at $5 or $10 over your production cost and the game would sell, you have already answered your own question, make 3500 copies....

The worst case from all the posts that I can see, is that if your target audience is not large enough to consume 3500 copies you would have the remaining copies left to sell. At that point you could drop the price down to the cost of production in hopes to get more sold at cost. If that does not work you would consider selling them at that point for a charity in your community and donate the money. And the worst worst case you can give away the rest to just to help promote the companies that paid for advertising (and the production) in the first place.

Anonymous

Awesome that really helped thanks.

No, I’m not worried about stealing of my idea definitely not, I just don’t think knowing that I live in Ra'anana Israel is really going to help anyone on the list, although you never know.

on another note reading the second part of your message really helped me if I have nothing to loose why not, although storage may cost something. Whatever I can always use my game as a paperweight.

Aaron l

Anonymous

Aaron -

Your statement that "if it costs 35 to print and I sell at 40 then I have 5 profit" is only true if you sell directly to the public only. But very few publishers can do this.

If you try to sell through stores or museums or any other retail establishment, they will only pay you between 50-60% of the game's price. So you would only get $20-25 for each game, not the full $40!
And if you use a distributor, that number goes down even further!

Since you're printing a city-specific game, I'm assuming you would mostly sell to the stores/museums/etc. and they would sell to the public. Know in advance what percentage of retail they'll pay you so you can calculate your actual cost/return figures.

Hope this helps! (And a belated Shanah Tovah!)

Anonymous

Yeah I was taking in to account my personal profit, and selling it to stores, but thanks for looking out for me.

Have a great New Year, and I hope you enjoyed your holidays,

Aaron l

Syndicate content

forum | by Dr. Radut