Skip to Content

Comments and Questions on the December 2005 Challenge

31 replies [Last post]
Brykovian
Brykovian's picture

Please use this thread to discuss, ask questions, and seek clarifications on the December 2005 GDS Challenge.

-Bryk

markmist

I am very interested to see what people come up with for this one. I racked my brain for about an hour trying to figure out a game that could use a hunting /chase & capture theme without having player elimination. I guess if players get captured, they are technically still in the game, but what do they do then? My other thought was a conversion of sides, for example one player is a vampire and bites another player who then becomes a vampire and joins their side. However, I couldn't think of a good way to incorporate this idea into an actual game. Other ideas such as a cooperative game would probably be too involving for non-gamers. I am thinking this needs to be as simple as a game like werewolf (however that game HAS player elimination).

Good luck to those brave enough to attempt this challenge. I will be voting this time...

Hamumu

The big question:

" Large Group - The design must have an upper limit of at least 8 for "number of players". The upper limit may be greater than 8, and the lower limit may be anything."

Can the lower limit be higher than the upper limit? And if so... HOW? Because that seems trickier than making dice float.

seo
seo's picture

Hamumu wrote:
The big question:

" Large Group - The design must have an upper limit of at least 8 for "number of players". The upper limit may be greater than 8, and the lower limit may be anything."

Can the lower limit be higher than the upper limit? And if so... HOW? Because that seems trickier than making dice float.

Such a literal interpretation sounds almost cruel. ;-)
I guess he meant that the game doesn't need to always be for large groups (e.g.: the minimum can be 2 players), but has to admit large groups. So chess won't fit the rule, but bingo would.

Seo

Brykovian
Brykovian's picture

Hamumu wrote:

lol ... You're a programmer -- I'm sure you can figure out a way to make it possible. ;-)

-Bryk

Kreitler

Brykovian wrote:
lol ... You're a programmer -- I'm sure you can figure out a way to make it possible. ;-)

-Bryk

(In your best "Mr. Scott" voice:) "I canna' change the laws of mathematics, Captain!"

Brykovian
Brykovian's picture

Kreitler wrote:
(In your best "Mr. Scott" voice:) "I canna' change the laws of mathematics, Captain!"

:-D

That just made my whole week!

-Bryk

DSfan

Life has been busy but I think I'll have enough free time to take a stab at the Showdown. Christmas break is coming don't a ya know!

Anyways, I got a quick question:

My design can be a card game right? I think the answer is "yes" but I want to make sure.
Just some more tinkering needs to be done then I can begin to write down the rules.

Happy Holidays & Good Luck!
Justin

[/]
Brykovian
Brykovian's picture

DSfan wrote:
My design can be a card game right?

As long as it fits the other requirements/limitations, there is nothing in the Challenge that rules out games that include cards. ;-) Have fun!

-Bryk

Brykovian
Brykovian's picture

Wow ... it's very quiet this time around ... almost spooky. ;-)

Only 1 legit question (and only 1 smart-alecky "break Bryk's definitions" attempt) so far ...

Did I make it too easy? Or, did I suddenly learn how to state things clearly the first time around?

I half-expected Scurra or Sebastian to say, "I'm just going to submit 'Bang!' ... without the death part, of course." ;-)

Or perhaps everyone is caught up in the busy holiday-doings and doesn't have time to worry about it this time around ... I guess we'll see how many entries are submitted.

-Bryk

p.s. For those who are a little disappointed that I didn't go with a straight-up Christmas/Santa/"winter holidays"/etc. type Challenge ... I kinda did: Around this time of year, the holidays leads to gatherings of larger groups of people -- most of whom are not hardcore board gamers -- coming together for good times ... playing one of the entries to this Challenge might make for some enjoyable moments, no?

doho123
doho123's picture

hmmm...submitting Bang! might be a good idea, given the impossible combinations of restrictions this month....

Brykovian
Brykovian's picture

doho123 wrote:
given the impossible combinations of restrictions this month

Okay ... can you give me some details on what you see as an "impossible combination of restrictions"?

-Bryk

doho123
doho123's picture

Well, ok, maybe not "impossible" but really hard. I was all set to pass up this month's competition, but a flash of brilliance appeared and gave me some direction.

But still, trying to make a game involving chase/hunting with 8 players playable and no elimination is pretty hard.

Brykovian
Brykovian's picture

You do know that the players don't need to be hunting/chasing *each other* right? But even so, there could be a good catch-n-release or catch-n-punish-n-release-n-catchagain system in the game.

Man ... I quickly thought up a half-dozen game concepts when putting this Challenge together! I'm almost tempted to list them here, but think that might ruin it for some.

(Now I'm wondering if you were just trying to get my goat ... and easily succeeded! ;-p ... add goat-getting to that list, I guess ...)

-Bryk ;-D

doho123
doho123's picture

But would any of those half-dozen concepts passed the tough, ruthless , and often mysterious voting ways, of the Game Design Showdown Judges?

Hamumu

I'm sorry, did you need more smart-alecky questions?

I'm trying to juggle this, a 48-hour game programming contest, and a real project that I sort of would hope to have done by Christmas, though I doubt it. It's overwhelming! And yet, hard to resist.

Brykovian
Brykovian's picture

doho123 wrote:
But would any of those half-dozen concepts passed the tough, ruthless , and often mysterious voting ways, of the Game Design Showdown Judges?

Of course!! I would easily take first through sixth place with those entries ... you're all so very, very lucky that I admin these things instead of participate in them!! ;-D

Hamumu ... I feel bad for you with all of that self-imposed pressure you find yourself under. ;-)

-Bryk

Xaqery
Xaqery's picture

doho123 wrote:

Is doho123 belly-aching that its the judges fault he didn’t win last month :P

doho123
doho123's picture

Quote:
s doho123 belly-aching that its the judges fault he didn’t win last month :P

I'm belly-aching because it's the judges fault I haven't won ANY month!!

Kreitler

doho123 wrote:

Don't we all follow the same time-honored judging method?

1) Write all entries on sticky notes and post them on a dart board.
2) Drink 1/2 rack of Guinness.
3) Throw a dart.
4) Ask someone who can still see what you hit.

Don't tell me I've been doing it wrong all these months...

K.

seo
seo's picture

Kreitler wrote:
2) Drink 1/2 rack of Guinness.

That was for JUDGING? I thought it was for the CREATIVE process!

Seo

doho123
doho123's picture

I hope Byrk appreciates how hard we are trying to artificially make this thread long.

Anonymous

Well, I have actually got a question. The part about how the entries have to be a Large Group / Party / Family Game really confuses me. What do the slashes mean? Does my entry have to be everything listed at once, just one thing or any combination of them?

Brykovian
Brykovian's picture

Dargor wrote:
Well, I have actually got a question. The part about how the entries have to be a Large Group / Party / Family Game really confuses me. What do the slashes mean? Does my entry have to be everything listed at once, just one thing or any combination of them?

Good question ... the slashes can be replaced with an "or". Your game should be recognized as a "large group game" or "party game" or "family game" (or any combination of those).

The specific details of that that means is covered by the bullets in the design restrictions.

-Bryk

Scurra
Scurra's picture

Brykovian wrote:
I half-expected Scurra or Sebastian to say, "I'm just going to submit 'Bang!' ... without the death part, of course." ;-)
Is my reputation *that* bad? Don't answer that.

Kreitler

Dargor wrote:
Well, I have actually got a question.

And now, so do I. Looking at my entry, I realize I have a hunting theme, but not necessarily a hunting genre. Could you please clarify your expectations for a hunting/capture game. Also, if we go with the "slashes mean 'or'" interpretation, then how does hunting differ from chase/capture?

Thanks,

K.

Brykovian
Brykovian's picture

I used the different descriptors to simply give a wider mental range of things that essentially abstract to the same concept. For example, a children's game of tag could be described as chase-and-capture, but would probably not normally be considered "hunting". Same thing for fishing.

So, there's really not a whole lot of difference ... I just didn't want someone to get hung-up on worrying that their game based upon, for example, kids trying to catch butterflies in their nets wasn't exactly "hunting" ... or that a game about deer hunting wasn't exaclty "chase and capture", since it's mostly about "standing and killing". Both of those games, imo, would be within the scope of the Challenge.

To put it as simply as I can ... if you have a game based around the idea of something or someone intentionally trying to "get" something or someone else, and it can be played by a bigger group of more casual players ... the I'd think you're good to go.

I hope that helps.

-Bryk

Kreitler

Brykovian wrote:

To put it as simply as I can ... if you have a game based around the idea of something or someone intentionally trying to "get" something or someone else, and it can be played by a bigger group of more casual players ... the I'd think you're good to go.

I hope that helps.

-Bryk

Hmm...well, sort of. I guess I'll submit my design and get disqualified by everyone. Why should December's challenge be different from every other month? :-)

K.

Anonymous

Quote:

p.s. For those who are a little disappointed that I didn't go with a straight-up Christmas/Santa/"winter holidays"/etc. type Challenge ... I kinda did: Around this time of year, the holidays leads to gatherings of larger groups of people -- most of whom are not hardcore board gamers -- coming together for good times ... playing one of the entries to this Challenge might make for some enjoyable moments, no?

The first thing I thought of when reading the Challenge was the "white elephant gift exchange" (a.k.a. Yankee Swap). Everyone is chasing the iPod and trying not to get stuck with the knitted oven mitts and it works with large and even very large groups. And the sequel happens next year when the oven mitts reappear with a group of another gifts.

The second thought was "bang minus the elimination".

...I guess I'll have to keep thinking about this one.

Jonathan

Kreitler

jhager wrote:
The first thing I thought of when reading the Challenge was the "white elephant gift exchange" (a.k.a. Yankee Swap). Everyone is chasing the iPod and trying not to get stuck with the knitted oven mitts and it works with large and even very large groups. And the sequel happens next year when the oven mitts reappear with a group of another gifts.

Nice theme!
Am I the only one who would rather have the mitts than the iPod?

K.

Brykovian
Brykovian's picture

Brykovian wrote:
Man ... I quickly thought up a half-dozen game concepts when putting this Challenge together! I'm almost tempted to list them here, but think that might ruin it for some.

For the record, these were the ideas I had come up with off the top of my head:

• Bass Fishing Tourney -- players could even team-up and put 2 players per "boat" ... only needs 5 boats to have a 10-player game
  • Deer Hunting -- that's a big deal where I come from ... and it's not hard to find hunting parties consisting of at least 8 people.
  • Photo Safari -- hate to tag-along on a previous Challenge theme ... but "hunting" for good photos in a jungle would be doable methings
  • Frogs & Flies -- 'nough said
  • Junior High Socio-politics -- "Jimmie must like Suzy because he just knocked her down during recess!"
  • "Speed Trap" -- been there!

With that said -- I'm impressed (as always) with the wide range of style and topic that the submitted entries cover.

-Bryk

[/]
Syndicate content

forum | by Dr. Radut