Skip to Content

Comments and Questions on the February 2006 Challenge

14 replies [Last post]
Scurra
Scurra's picture

Please use this thread for any comments, questions, or clarifications regarding the February 2006 GDS Challenge (found here).

Hamumu

That third limitation is absurd! How do you even... I mean how?!

I suppose it even rules out robot pirate ninja zombies?

Epigone

Note: aliens and vampires (and maybe an alien vampire, the xenoholy lovechild of an alien and a vampire?) are still allowed.

OutsideLime

....I think that robot pirate ninja zombies technically classify as robots, pirates, ninjas, and zombies.... so that's probably no good.

However, my romance game about mechanical swashbuckling samurai ghouls seems to still be ok. ...phew...

~Josh

seo
seo's picture

OutsideLime wrote:
However, my romance game about mechanical swashbuckling samurai ghouls seems to still be ok. ...phew...

You will have to remove the VPs for "innovative intercourse position", though.

Seo

seo
seo's picture

A serious question now: the example given in the first restriction means tiles for a variable board are allowed, right? I don't want to work on a tile laying game just to found that it was an example of the sort of tiles not allowed.

Seo

Torrent
Torrent's picture

Let Scurra give the definite answer, but I read tiles as beign allowed as long as they are being used as tiles. You couldn't print your cards on thick stock and call them tiles, but use them as if they are cards.

Scurra
Scurra's picture

seo wrote:
A serious question now: the example given in the first restriction means tiles for a variable board are allowed, right?
Yes. The Carcassonne example is good here - although many variants of the game allow players to "hold" tiles in their hand outside of their turn (and even choose between them), they are not cards under any gaming-related definition, even though you could recreate the concept using cards if you wished. Have I confused you enough? ;-))

doho123
doho123's picture

Should the punny name relate to the game somehow? Like the "love is in the hair" example, would it matter if the game included no mention of hair or hair products?

For some reason, I would argue that it should, since titles should promise what's inside the box somewhat, but this isn't listed under a design restriction...

Xaqery
Xaqery's picture

See since I can not spell very well I thought he meant "Love is in the Hare" and it was a game about love bunnies from HELL.

But I agree that if the name needs to relate to the game to get a vote from me.

Neoclown

So does the game have to use a board? Could the tiles represent the entire board as they are laid down? Does it have to use tiles? Could it be basically a dice-only game?

Details, haha, I'm new.

Scurra
Scurra's picture

The only restriction I specified was that you can't use cards. Use counters, dice, giant fluffy toys, entire planetary systems* - anything that makes your game work. That's what makes this exercise so much fun. The only reason I mentioned tiles is that it seemed the most obvious way around the restriction.
(*although I'd love to see a prototype for that one.)

Xaqery
Xaqery's picture

I wanted it noted that not haveing a great punny title should not cost you points in the main contest. I think it would only mean you wont win the secondary contest. If I am wrong in this please let me know.

- Dwight

Scurra
Scurra's picture

I know I changed the schedule somewhat, but for various reasons I'm extending the deadline by one additional day.
So you've got until Wednesday to get those entries in.

seo
seo's picture

Yupiii!!!! :-)

Syndicate content

forum | by Dr. Radut