Skip to Content

Comments and Questions on the July 2006 Challenge

24 replies [Last post]
Brykovian
Brykovian's picture

Use this thread to ask questions, make comments, and/or seek clarifications regarding the July 2006 GDS Challenge, entitled "New-52: Gone Fishing" (found here).

Cheers,
-Bryk

clapjaws

Do you have to play with a full deck??

:-)

I know, I know...why start now??

Brykovian
Brykovian's picture

clapjaws wrote:
Do you have to play with a full deck??

Very good question ... and I'll update the Challenge description page with this answer:

No ... you do not need to use the entire deck. Also, 2 or 3 decks may be combined (like in Canasta) if the game requires it.

Thanks clapjaws!

-Matt

DSfan

May I have an example of a trick taking card game? I really don't understand what type of game that is.

Epigone

DSfan wrote:
May I have an example of a trick taking card game? I really don't understand what type of game that is.

Here is a description of the genre and many examples.

Jpwoo
Jpwoo's picture

Yay new Design challenge. And it is unlikely the graphics folks will have an edge here.

doho123
doho123's picture

Jpwoo wrote:
Yay new Design challenge. And it is unlikely the graphics folks will have an edge here.

Yep, just the folks who can explain an abstract card game as a themed fishing game the best now will have the edge.

Brykovian
Brykovian's picture

doho123 wrote:
Yep, just the folks who can explain an abstract card game as a themed fishing game the best now will have the edge.

Not sure about you, but I like a little snark for dinner now and then. Snark is a type of fish, no? ;-D

-Bryk

Torrent
Torrent's picture

Quote:
Snark is a type of fish, no? ;-D

Snark Hunting: the Card Game

Scurra
Scurra's picture

Brykovian wrote:
Snark is a type of fish, no? ;-D
No, a Snark is a Boojum, isn't it?

Yogurt
Yogurt's picture

I noticed that on BoardGameGeek, Blue Moon is classified as a trick-taking game. That's not quite right, is it? I would have called it a climbing game.

My understanding is that a "trick-taking game" is a very specific requirement.

Wikipedia:

Quote:
During each trick, every player puts one card from his or her hand into play-- there is no option of playing multiple cards, or of abstaining from the trick. Once each player has played a card to the trick, they are turned face down and removed from play.

That's what you had in mind, Brykovian, correct? Hearts, bridge, Euchre, etc.

By the way, I did some background reading on fishing tournaments. What a crazy piece of the world that I never knew existed. Bass fishing would make a good deduction game. Fly fishing would make a good dexterity game. I have no idea what type of tournament would make for a good trick taking game, but I expect to learn.

Epigone

yogurt wrote:
My understanding is that a "trick-taking game" is a very specific requirement.

Wikipedia:

Quote:
During each trick, every player puts one card from his or her hand into play-- there is no option of playing multiple cards, or of abstaining from the trick. Once each player has played a card to the trick, they are turned face down and removed from play.

Well, almost. Apparently in the West this is true about pretty much every trick-taking game, but then there are games like Bashi Fen, which Wikipedia lists as a trick-taking game, where the lead may be multiple cards and other players have to follow with that many cards also.

But as far as I can tell that seems to be the only common type of difference.

Brykovian
Brykovian's picture

yogurt wrote:
That's what you had in mind, Brykovian, correct? Hearts, bridge, Euchre, etc.

I think the wikipedia description is overly restrictive, personally. I liked the link that Epigone gave earlier in the thread.

I would consider the following to be a trick-taking game ... a card game in which players publicly present 1 or more cards, and through some calculation or other criteria, 1 player "wins" all of those cards played ("takes the trick").

I don't think it should be a problem if a game doesn't stick to the traditional repetitive rounds, with exactly 1 card played per player ... as long as the game's primary mechanism is the taking of tricks.

Does that help clear things up ... or just make them more muddy?

-Bryk

Brykovian
Brykovian's picture

I suppose I should have been more clear on this point too ...

"Professional Fishing Tournament" means a competition involving fishing/angling in water, trying to catch fish. ;-)

-Bryk

Xaqery
Xaqery's picture

Brykovian wrote:
I suppose I should have been more clear on this point too ...

"Professional Fishing Tournament" means a competition involving fishing/angling in water, trying to catch fish. ;-)

-Bryk

It has to be Angling?

Brykovian
Brykovian's picture

Xaqery wrote:
It has to be Angling?

As opposed to what? Spearing? Fish-archery? Explosives?

I'm not sure if any of those have professional tournaments ... although I supposed there might be tourney's for "bow-fishing" for carp and other large rough fish.

Send me a PM, Xaq, if you don't want to give away your intended angle (sorry for the pun).

-Bryk

Xaqery
Xaqery's picture

Brykovian wrote:
Xaqery wrote:
It has to be Angling?

As opposed to what? Spearing? Fish-archery? Explosives?

I'm not sure if any of those have professional tournaments ... although I supposed there might be tourney's for "bow-fishing" for carp and other large rough fish.

Send me a PM, Xaq, if you don't want to give away your intended angle (sorry for the pun).

-Bryk

I was thinking dynomite, but thats ok. I will conform if I can get something done in time. I just saw this GDS today and will be pressed to get in an entry. The good news I am out of game jail and my normal life (HA) can resume.

- Dwight

sedjtroll
sedjtroll's picture

Well, I didn't enter, but would a game about internet spam mail, trying to get people to reply with personal info, where players try to collect identities and the winner is the player who has the most ID's by the end of the game (or perhaps who uses them to earn the most money, with the possibility of getting busted) - would that fit the "Fishing" theme?

heh

- Seth

DanogNellows

well I'm in.
I like my game but don't feel it satifies the contest requirements
very well (at all). Hope everyone does well.

Also a belated Congrats to OutsideLime
for last months victory hopefully someone can stop his streak.

DN

Horoku

sedjtroll wrote:
Well, I didn't enter, but would a game about internet spam mail, trying to get people to reply with personal info, where players try to collect identities and the winner is the player who has the most ID's by the end of the game (or perhaps who uses them to earn the most money, with the possibility of getting busted) - would that fit the "Fishing" theme?

Well that depends on if people dock you for the pun, since ID theft is "phishing". (Former bank employee, I HAD to know that back then) I personally wouldn't dock for the pun, though you'd need a good story to explain the "tournament" aspect of illegal trickery. Anyways, i loved the openess of this challenge, and yet it could be argued that it's the most restrictive one ever. Be that as it may, I probably got this entry done faster than any I've ever done before.(Which isn't necesarily a good thing.) But me and some buddies playtested it over the weekend and it went over pretty well so we'll see..... I may not be able to juice the lime, but I think it's a decent entry.

Jpwoo
Jpwoo's picture

Well I slapped together an entry. It should be interesting to see these games. Even more interesting to try and judge them.

OutsideLime

Quote:
Also a belated Congrats to OutsideLime
for last months victory hopefully someone can stop his streak.

Thanks Danog, but hoping won't be necessary.... I do not have the time to put an entry together this month. Sooo many deadlines, sooo little sleep!

Good luck my friends, hopefully next month I will be able to participate. I will still vote and try to get critiques together for this month's Showdown, though.

~Josh

bluesea
bluesea's picture

I'm in with my first ever entry :)

...Good luck to all.

John

Brykovian
Brykovian's picture

sedjtroll wrote:

Nope -- that would be "outside of theme" ... in fact, that's the very reason I added the clarification post earlier in this thread about it being about angling/fishing for fish in water. I had to turn down an entry on that very topic you mention. (Sorry for being a humorless old fart!) ;-p

-Bryk

Brykovian
Brykovian's picture

It's going to take me a while before I can get to organizing the entries ... deadline (for those "oh so close" to being done) is 1pm US Eastern Time (about 45 minutes from when this post is being made).

-Bryk

Syndicate content

forum | by Dr. Radut