Skip to Content

Comments and Questions on the June 2006 Challenge

121 replies [Last post]
LSJ

My first entry (since it landed on a rare clear spot in my schedule). I trimmed it down to about 780 words, but probably chopped some of the important stuff down too far. Hopefully the idea can still be extracted, though. :-)

Ska_baron
Ska_baron's picture

Quote:
Good, because I use the word hoe a lot.

Oh Gamebot, you rake.

seo
seo's picture

I'm in!

Seo

OutsideLime

I'm in! Wah ha hhahhhhhh!
~Josh

Good luck my firends! My entry was a bit hurried, but still good. Looking forward to seeing all the entries!

Brykovian
Brykovian's picture

Okay ... I'm closing the acceptance window at this time. All the later-entrying folks who have posted here are in.

This will give us 14 entries, which will take me a little while to get posted (I'm on the road for work and will likely be pulled into a few more ad hoc meetings today).

Cheers,
-Bryk

Jpwoo
Jpwoo's picture

14 entries!

That's a pretty signifigant increase from the last couple. Is that a new record? Who knew farming was this popular? Or is it just the hoes?

doho123
doho123's picture

14 entries? wow, I think that's a record.

Actually, I'm quite surprised, given that I figured that the success from last month was due to the "cool spy theme," while "farming" would hardly capture the imaginations of the crowd around here. So, hats off to the participants.

OutsideLime

yogurt wrote:
He's faking! This is the guy who disguised his Canadian spelling to avoid detection. Liiiiime! :)

Actually this month I forgot to check if I used the Canadian (or as it's more commonly known 'proper English') spelling for things.

Instead, I deliberately inserted grammatical errors here and there so you'd think I'm Seo.

heh.

~Josh

(My own grammar is pretty good until you ask me to write in Spanish, mind you.)

OutsideLime

doho123 wrote:
14 entries? wow, I think that's a record.

The "Kiddie Zoo" Showdown a while ago had 14 entries. I remember because mine - Noah Zark - was #14.

~Josh

seo
seo's picture

OutsideLime wrote:
nstead, I deliberately inserted grammatical errors here and there so you'd think I'm Seo.

heh.

~Josh
But this time I relied on MS Word, so my entry won't seem to be mine. So vote for the entry that most resembles Bill Gates writing. ;-)

And for next month I'm planning on hiring Josh to do my graphics. That way they'll look great, and I can keep asking for changes so that he is not able to end his own entry on time! Ña-ja-ja-ja-ja!!!!! (BTW, that's the Spanish spelling for a malicious laugh).

Seo

Brykovian
Brykovian's picture

Brykovian wrote:
This will give us 14 entries, which will take me a little while to get posted

Well, after recounting, it appears we have 15 entries instead of 14.

-Bryk

dsavillian

Bah!

Work deadlines came out of nowhere and kicked me in the junk!

Perhaps I'll submit my game for general review after the contest ends

:(

Nestalawe
Nestalawe's picture

dsavillian wrote:
Bah!

Work deadlines came out of nowhere and kicked me in the junk!

Perhaps I'll submit my game for general review after the contest ends

:(

Definately do that! The GDS is really just a good excuse to get people up and making games, so there's no reason not to bring it on out!

Ska_baron
Ska_baron's picture

Quote:
Definately do that! The GDS is really just a good excuse to get people up and making games, so there's no reason not to bring it on out!

Woah woah woah. Let's get one thing straight here. I'm in the GDS for the money and womens.

Nestalawe
Nestalawe's picture

Ska_baron wrote:
Quote:

Woah woah woah. Let's get one thing straight here. I'm in the GDS for the money and womens.

Dude, i've seen Lime in a skirt, and you do NOT want to go there...

And money? Gah, he ain't no gentleman, I had to buy all the drinks and he still didn't look any good through them beer-goggles... (nor would he put out, but thats another story...)

OutsideLime

Quote:

Hey!

That was a KILT.

~Josh

Nestalawe
Nestalawe's picture

OutsideLime wrote:
Quote:

Hey!

That was a KILT.

Yeah, whatteva buddy, with that split up the side and pink thong?

Next thing you'll be trying to tell me those stillettos were clogs and that nurses uniform was part of some dutch fertility ritual dance... I know you wanted to get into the farming spirit and all, but there are limits, Lime...

Brykovian
Brykovian's picture

Okaaaaayyyy then ...

I will likely not have these all worked up before my plane takes off for Minnesota ... so I'll get them finished off tomorrow morning.

I've already found 2 entries that were *WAY* over the 800-word limit. Normally, if I get these types of entries a couple days ahead of time I would send them back for re-editing. However, this time around I *am* going to post them, but I've added a comment to note the word count for voters to take that into account if they wish.

Nice games, folks, btw! ;-)

-Bryk

Horoku
Finished....if you could call it that

Quote:
I've already found 2 entries that were *WAY* over the 800-word limit. Normally, if I get these types of entries a couple days ahead of time I would send them back for re-editing. However, this time around I *am* going to post them, but I've added a comment to note the word count for voters to take that into account if they wish.

I'm surprised there were only two so far. It seems to me that with a concept like territory control combined with a conflict system that should inhibit other players, it would be easy to get some "wordy" explanations of some creative mechanics. That much said, I'll let the word limit slide if Bryk didn't flat out reject the entry. I'd really like to see what people are coming up with for this one. I finished mine at 11:00 last night, then the site went down so i had to send it in at 6:00 this morning right before work. Almost made me late! Hope it's worth it! Good luck to all!

Gogolski
Gogolski's picture

I'm over the limit, but not "way over" as stated... But I definately cut a lot of words and explanation of the game might be muddied up by the cutting I've done. I just hope that people understand what I'm talking about, because I know cutting words makes my mechanics un-understandable. (My last entry, a year ago got muddied up. I got two maximum scores then (two people understood my "bid lowest, but make sure you live up to your promise or loose a lot"- mechanic. They thought it was good... They were also the winners of that month...)

Anyway, I'm looking forward to it!

Cheese!

DanogNellows

Yeah,

I'm excited by this one. i thought I would be more so by last month's
spy theme but it didn't motivate me to enter. But this submission
I actually liked a lot, needs a lot of polish though. This is the first time
I'm actually (edit: thinking about, ha) making a prototype to see how it would work in reality.

Good contest.

DN

OutsideLime

Nestalawe wrote:
Next thing you'll be trying to tell me those stillettos were clogs and that nurses uniform was part of some dutch fertility ritual dance... I know you wanted to get into the farming spirit and all, but there are limits, Lime...

I will stop at nothing to insure my chances of a win! Those fertility rituals will seal the deal, just you wait! With this kind of luck on my side, I'll probably fivepeat or sixpeat!

~Josh

Nestalawe
Nestalawe's picture

DanogNellows wrote:
This is the first time I'm actually (edit: thinking about, ha) making a prototype to see how it would work in reality.

I wasn't going to enter either, but Monday was slow at work so I designed a game instead ;) I was also able to mock up a prototype and so was able to self-test it Monday and Tuesday nights, refining it and making sure the game actually works, which it does! Though it will be better with some 'Advanced' rules to spice up the basics...

Bit frustrating though, as I should have added a few images to help explain things to 'prove' that they work, as I know they do!

OutsideLime

The suspense is KILLING me.

~Josh

Gogolski
Gogolski's picture

OutsideLime who was recently killed by suspence wrote:
Good, one less contestant to worry about...

Cheese!

OutsideLime

Gogolski, who recently traveled forward in time to July 2006 to playtest his Space Smugglers game wrote:
Good, one less contestant to worry about..

Hey man, I said it was KILLING me, not that it KILLED me. Tough spot of luck for all you guys that whatever doesn't kill me makes me stronger!

~Josh

edit: Aw damn, you fixed your journal. Now I'll be the only one who has any idea what I'm talking about. .... Like most of the time ;-)

doho123
doho123's picture

Gogolski wrote:
OutsideLime who was recently killed by suspence wrote:
Good, one less contestant to worry about...

Cheese!

I thought this would only matter if the deceased got their entry in on time.

seo
seo's picture

Yes, the LAST thing we want is to have Josh as a postumous GDS winner. His ghost will never cease to annoy us. ;-)

Seo
PS to Doho: I love your new avatar. It's The Phantom, right? It was my favourite comic as a boy.

doho123
doho123's picture

seo wrote:
PS to Doho: I love your new avatar. It's The Phantom, right? It was my favourite comic as a boy.

Yes, it's the phantom. I got it from this website:
http://www.joshreads.com/, who is otherwise known as the Comic Curmudgeon. He does a pretty funny job of reviewing (mostly dramatic) comic strips.

Brykovian
Brykovian's picture

Okay ... so they are all posted now (let me know through PM if I have any mistakes).

Be aware that the 15 entries take up 2 forum "pages" .... be sure to read them all.

-Bryk

Syndicate content

forum | by Dr. Radut