Skip to Content

Comments and Questions on the November 2005 Challenge

48 replies [Last post]
Kreitler

jwarrend wrote:
A few principles that this founders:

-- Explaining minor points eats up words. Note that I didn't explain in detail the intracacies of the replenishment of the colony ship, nor did I delve into the rule that the number of discounts you can get from quarries varies by the "column" of the building on the central board (in fact, I didn't even mention the central board!). And in fact, I explained one rule incorrectly (the "spoilage" effect after shipping)! That's ok; these are not essential to understanding how gameplay works. Don't be afraid to gloss over stuff.

-- Give an overview, not an algorithm. Readers aren't trying to learn how to play your game, they're trying to see what is exciting and creative about it that makes it worthy of your vote. Detailed descriptions of setup algorithms, or rigorous accounting of when the discard pile is shuffled, etc, don't contribute much to this.

I'm going to give your method a shot, Jeff. Every month I swear I'm not going to write complete rules, and every month I end up sending in a rulebook -- usually chopped down to the point it resembles haiku (at least, according to Mike -- and I tend to agree).

Your guidelines will help immensely. It never occurred to me to write a "review" instead of a "rulebook".

And, speaking as one who has never yet come in under 800 words on the first draft, I'm definitely opposed to allowing more words. I need *more* discipline, not less...

:-)

K.

doho123
doho123's picture

In review of the GDS this month, I couldn't in my right mind vote for the "peurto rico" game by jarrend because it sounds to confusing and too fiddly. Maybe if you got rid of all the roles...

Hamumu

I actually agree that the limit shouldn't change myself... I was just hoping in desperation that there would be some escape. I have now done a massive slaughter to it (it was about 1300 to begin with, now is under 800. Ouch), and have turned in something under the limit. You should have no problem spotting my entry - it's the one that appears to be written by a caveman! I just can't resist writing complete rulesets. Had to trim quite a few actual rules though, this time.

Xaqery
Xaqery's picture

Mike you already have submitted something? Wow! I just have some scribbled notes and drawings.

I actually do not care what the rules are either. I like to be verbose and would take the extra words if given. I will use this as an exercise in being concise.

Last month I wrestled with my entry right up to the last second obsessively looking at the number of words and then re-writing parts because it was too large. pulling my hair out because it was 805 words. After the contest was over I then rewrote the whole thing as needed and the final copy was over 900 words. I will just do the same again this month and as suggested I will not write every detail of every rule.

- Dwight

Kreitler

Brykovian wrote:
Xaqery wrote:
Does anyone know if those double-dice can float? Are they water tight?

For purposes of this Challenge ... let's say that they *are* water tight ... and that you can get sinking *or* floating versions. ;-D

-Bryk

Just for the record...
They are *mostly* water tight. They float fine, but after several minutes in the water, vapor starts beading up inside.

However, as you might expect, they float with one corner down, meaning that there's no way to read a single number from either the inner or outer dice.

So, Bryk...should we assume the floating versions miraculously float flat?

K.

Brykovian
Brykovian's picture

Kreitler wrote:
So, Bryk...should we assume the floating versions miraculously float flat?

Yes ... I've had our GDS engineering staff working overtime to ensure that the floaters will float flat -- it's not a miracle ... just better living through science! ;-)

Also, the sinkers sink quickly, land flat, and are not easily jostled around while sitting on the bottom of the waterscape.

Man! Those engineers are great!

-Bryk

Sebastian

doho123 wrote:
In review of the GDS this month, I couldn't in my right mind vote for the "peurto rico" game by jarrend because it sounds to confusing and too fiddly. Maybe if you got rid of all the roles...

It's main mechanic was also relatively derivative, stealing from such games as Twilight Imperium and San Juan. And as for the theme ... all in all, a rather uninspired effort.

Sebastian

Brykovian wrote:
Yes ... I've had our GDS engineering staff working overtime to ensure that the floaters will float flat -- it's not a miracle ... just better living through science! ;-)

Also, the sinkers sink quickly, land flat, and are not easily jostled around while sitting on the bottom of the waterscape.

Man! Those engineers are great!

Have they arranged things so that the inside dice actually rolls well. That's the main problem that I've had with the double-dice - the die in the middle simply sticks. The 10, 10 one is the only one that I'd want to use as anything but a novelty item.

[That said, I still bought a couple for the novelty value. Sucker than I am.]

Nandalf

yarrrr these dice be good, they may not float too good, or roll too well
but they *are* cheap presents, and have maic powers in competitions...
definately worth my GoldPieces

Brykovian
Brykovian's picture

Sebastian wrote:
Have they arranged things so that the inside dice actually rolls well.

But, of course! What else would you expect from top-notch fictional engineers?! ;-p

-Bryk

Sebastian

Brykovian wrote:
Sebastian wrote:
Have they arranged things so that the inside dice actually rolls well.

But, of course! What else would you expect from top-notch fictional engineers?!

Huzzah!

Gogolski
Gogolski's picture

Darn!! It looks like I'm not going to enter this month either... (can't get my entry under 1000 words, and it's crippled allready...)

So unless I miraculously come up with new ideas, there will be no entry of mine again. (But I still think the word-limit is great!)

Cheese!

Nandalf

this will probably sound Really Stupid, but who do we send it to?
Bryk??

seo
seo's picture

You send it as a PM to the one in charge each month, usually (as this month) Bryk.

Seo

Brykovian
Brykovian's picture

Nandalf wrote:
this will probably sound Really Stupid, but who do we send it to?
Bryk??

Seo's right ... just send your entry in a private message to me (link to PM me) ... I forgot to put that in the original Challenge post, so I've gone back and added that now.

Sorry for the oversight, and thanks for the reminder! :-)

-Bryk

Xaqery
Xaqery's picture

Ok I m in at 804 words with no credits and many hyphens! :-P

Good Luck everyone

- Dwight

OutsideLime

Well, I guess I'm not going to make it after all... damn and I really wanted to hit this one too... just got too busy this week. - lousy real world, interrupting my game design schedule - Good luck entrants, remember, my vote can be easily purchased for a small fee! I accept cash or personal cheques!

~Josh

Caliani

Same here, just didn't have enough time (again). I had the mini-games down (pretty silly ones, but fun) but the main game wasn't there yet. It was a fun idea I may have to track down eventually.

Good luck to all and I look forward to seeing what everyone came up with.

Syndicate content

forum | by Dr. Radut