Skip to Content

Comments and Questions on the September 2005 Challenge

14 replies [Last post]
Brykovian
Brykovian's picture

This thread should be used for any questions, comments, and clarifications needed regarding the September 2005 GDS Challenge, entitled "Kiddie Zoo" (found here).

-Bryk

Kreitler
Re: Comments and Questions on the September 2005 Challenge

Hey Bryk,

You know what we're all going to ask about...

Could you please give at least 2 examples of games that have no "physical engagement", and at least 2 examples of non-dexterity games that still qualify as having "physical engagement".

Thanks.

K.

Jebbou
Jebbou's picture

Going along with Kreitler's question

Quote:
The game should include movement of game parts (pieces, cards, boards, etc.) or the players themselves

Is moving a card or piece on the board really considered "Physically Engaging"?

JEB

Brykovian
Brykovian's picture

Kreitler wrote:
Could you please give at least 2 examples of games that have no "physical engagement", and at least 2 examples of non-dexterity games that still qualify as having "physical engagement".

Nope. ;-D Obviously *every* game has *some* level of physical engagement ... but some are more engaging that others.

Let me re-state it this way ... Voters should take "physical engagement" into account when reviewing the entries ... A game that requires players to walk around the table making animal noises should score better than one where players quietly draw and discard cards in the middle of the table.

As noted in the original post -- this is a subject area. (And I know that some designers do have problems with me putting subjective items in these GDS challenge requirements.)

-Bryk

Jebbou
Jebbou's picture

Also,

Does kid-friendly mean "6 years old" kid-friendly or "10 years old" kid-friendly? I guess it is also up to us (and to the voters), I just want to confirm.

Regards,

JEB

Xaqery
Xaqery's picture

Who are the voters?

Gogolski
Gogolski's picture

Xaqery wrote:

Quote:
Who are the voters?
Anybody who is registered on this site has one vote if s/he wants to vote...

Challengers

Kreitler wrote:

Could you please give at least 2 examples of games that have no "physical engagement"

Here's one my kids played when they were babies: "Let's Pretend That We're Asleep"

Here's one they played when they got older: "Let's Pretend That We're Sick Unto Death So We Can Stay Home From School" (They lost every game!)

Kreitler wrote:
at least 2 examples of non-dexterity games that still qualify as having "physical engagement".

Rock-Paper-Scissors
Punch Buggy

:)

Mitch

Brykovian
Brykovian's picture

Jebbou wrote:
Does kid-friendly mean "6 years old" kid-friendly or "10 years old" kid-friendly?

That's a very good point, Jeb ... I will amend the original Challenge post to include this:

Name Your Age Range -- The design must state the target age range for the game. The lower end of the range must be less than 10 years old.

So ... the designer can pick the age range, but must at least make it accessible to some kids that are younger than 10.

-Bryk

Scurra
Scurra's picture

Quote:
Market Appropriate - The game should be one that a parent would want to play with his/her child ... no violence, sex, death, nor any of the other topics that wouldn't be kid-friendly.
Damn you! There goes my "Discovery Channel Orgy" game...

sedjtroll
sedjtroll's picture

Scurra wrote:
Quote:
Market Appropriate - The game should be one that a parent would want to play with his/her child ... no violence, sex, death, nor any of the other topics that wouldn't be kid-friendly.

What about a game about monkeys flinging poop at each other?

disclamer

sedjtroll wrote:
Scurra wrote:
Quote:

What about a game about monkeys flinging poop at each other?

Damn, there goes my "Poop Flinging Monkeys" game.

Anonymous
Real Animals?

When you say "animals," are you talking about real animals? What about:

-extinct species?
-imaginary/theoretical animals?
-mythical animals?
-extraterrestrial animals?

...I guess some of those are redundant. And in what form can these animals exist?

Can they be anthropomorphized?

Can the size of a 'piece' be larger or smaller than an actual animal? That is to say, can a single piece simply have an animal on it or can multiple pieces be combined to create animals?

Probably a lot of silly questions.

Brykovian
Brykovian's picture
Re: Real Animals?

Paralepsis wrote:
When you say "animals," are you talking about real animals?

The animals to not necessarily have to be those known to exist today. They can be made up animals, or any of those other descriptions that you've given. (Personal kudos to anyone who uses Sasquatches! :D)

Quote:
And in what form can these animals exist? Can they be anthropomorphized?

I suppose ... are you talking like a Winne the Pooh/Stuart Little type approach where animals can talk and wear clothes and go about humanlike activities? Then sure. However, if you plan on graphting human limbs onto an animal body ... I'm sorry -- that's just sick and wrong. ;-D

Quote:
Can the size of a 'piece' be larger or smaller than an actual animal? That is to say, can a single piece simply have an animal on it or can multiple pieces be combined to create animals?

I would consider that to be fine as well, as long as the results are a 3D animal miniature that can be handled as part of the game.

-Bryk

Brykovian
Brykovian's picture

I've sent a private message response to everyone I've received entries from so far.

If you've sent me an entry and haven't gotten a PM from me yet -- please send me a note to check ... thanks.

-Bryk

Syndicate content

forum | by Dr. Radut