Skip to Content

Critique the Game Designs -- June 2005 Showdown

56 replies [Last post]
seo
seo's picture

Sebastian wrote:
I would like to suggest that for the next showdown, people list the mechanics requirements at the top/bottom of their submission, and say what bit of the game they think satisfies it. For a lot of the games submitted, I found it hard to work out how they thought the restrictions had been satisfied.
To help deciding my vote and base that decision not only in how good or potentially good I feel each game is, I took notes as I read the entries, evaluating to what extent and the degree of originality with wich each entry met the requirements.

In seven out of the eleven entries I felt that at least one of the four requirements wasn't covered, the pick-up and delivery one being the most ignored (or hard to perceive), specially the delivery part. While my first vote received the best score AND in my perception met the four requirements, I had then a group of six entries closely competing for my other two votes. I then applied the requirement fullfilment criteria to take the final decision.

As for the images issue, I voted for one non-illustrated and two illustrated entries, though I feel one of the later would have received my vote anyway (and the same rank), even without the illustration. That said, I didn't let (or so I feel) illustration quality influence my voting. I only valued the illustrations as a way to comunicate significant information about the game, not just aesthetics. If a game needs a map, I want to see the map (topologically), no matter if it's scanned from a napkin doodle or from a highly artistic hyperrealistic 3D render.

Seo

Seo

doho123
doho123's picture

Technically, looking back at the rules, I could make an argument that "Pick Up and Delivery" isn't a requirement, since it's not in the list of mechanical limitations.

Yogurt
Yogurt's picture

Well, the "UFO" subject isn't a mechanic limitation either, but if I submitted a game about dogs in the park, I bet it would have raised a few questions.

Yogurt

Scurra
Scurra's picture

True, but the\theme requirement is arguably more important than any of the mechanical bits...

Yogurt
Yogurt's picture

Congrats to Hamumu!

I'm proud to say that the voting exactly mirrors my rankings! I voted for Hamumu for first, Seo for second, and Sebastian for third! I'll refer to myself as the power behind the throne for the next while. ;)

Deciding between Hamumu and Seo was a coin flip for me. They both combined the mechanics so elegantly. In the end, I went for Hamumu out of personal taste. Maze games don't hold much appeal for me, and Spree looks like it might be a real brain burner that would force me to kill my slower friends. So it slipped *just* below Moo Juice. I also liked the way Hamumu handled teams that needed to be balanced and refreshed.

I considered Independence Day for third, but the end game didn't work for me. I wouldn't find it satisfying to become an Alien and have to fight for a shared better-than-nothing victory.

Groom Lake was a brilliant game, but like a lot of entries, it didn't meet the requirements well enough for me, so I put it aside. It might have been a bit derivative, Werewolf LOTR Carcassonne, but I still think it would be fun to play. (What happens if the Alien dies but the Bounty Hunter didn't kill him?)

There were two problems with my own game, Pudding Corners, that made me pretty sure I was out of contention this time. First, the mechanics didn't integrate. There were tiles, delivery, teams, etc, but they didn't hang together. The other problem is that the game, especially the townsperson movement, is hard to visualize from the rules as I wrote them. A diagram would have helped, but I'm really slow with graphics and didn't have the time. I don't have plans to develop this game, as most of its elements are done elsewhere anyway (Memoir 44, Buffy, Doom).

I had to laugh to see Seo guess which game was mine based on the food in its title. Strange it may sound, the same thing happened to me before! In a university writing course, someone knew a story was mine because it prominently involved breakfast. Write what you know, I guess. :)

A great competition this month!

Yogurt

Sebastian

Since the votes are now cast, I'll provide details of how I voted. As I'm short of time, this is just a copy of the PM that I sent Brykovian saying how my votes went - I'll post more details later:

Quote:

My votes are as follows:

1 place - 5 points - 3) Last Stand at Pudding Corner
2 place - 3 points - 10) Moo Juice
3 place - 1 point - 4) The Day the Earth ran screaming

These largely got the votes because they fulfilled the theme and mechanic restrictions. Comments on the other ones (largely so I remember when I write up my comments) were as follows:

1) Missing the 'Tile Laying' mechanic restriction. Marginal 'Pick up and Deliver' mechanic restriction.
2) It didn't really seem to be about UFOs at all.
3) Seemed to all hang together.
4) Marginal 'Pick up and Deliver' mechanic restriction.
5) Missing the 'Moving Shared Piece' and 'Creating a Team' mechanic restriction
6) Missed the 'Pick up and Deliver' and the 'Creating a Team' mechanic restriction
7) Missed the 'Pick up and Deliver' and the 'Creating a Team' mechanic restriction.
8) Marginal 'Tile Placement' mechanic restriction. Mine, so not voting for it.
9) Missed the 'Pick up and Deliver' mechanic restriction. But a very sweet game nonetheless.
10) Unconvinced that there are many non-obvious moves, but it got the mechanics.
11) Wonderfully incoherent, but ignored all mechanics restrictions

btaggart
WOO-HOO! Votes!

I got votes this time! I figured the Tile Laying restriction would get me, not because I didn't have it, but because everyone seemed to think it was a Tile Laying restriction. The actual restriction was Tile or Piece Placement. Map Quest actually had Piece RE-Placement, a bit of a stretch I know, so I understand.

Still. I GOT VOTES!

seo
seo's picture

I'm in a real rush right now, finishing all my client's last minute jobs before I go on vacation tomorrow, so I can't comment as much as I would like.

I feel honored by the results, and by having catched Yougurt's food fixation ;-)

Congratulations to all who submitted entries, and specially to Kreitler on winning this month competition with a game I really liked (it was my #1). My #2 vote was for MapQuest, and my #3 for Last Stand, but to me it was more about how well the mechanics requests were acomplished than game quality per se. In a free contest it woukld have been a real headache deciding my vote.

Seo

Kreitler

seo wrote:
Congratulations to all who submitted entries, and specially to Kreitler on winning this month competition with a game I really liked (it was my #1).

Well...as much as I'd like to claim victory...Hamumu submitted the winning game. I was a distant 4th -- which I admit, is better than I thought I'd do with a game that had no "delivery".

I'll post my reviews for everyone's game after I get off work.

K.

Challengers

Way to go, Hamumu!
I really, really got a kick out of this one. My votes went as follows:

5 points to Entry #10: Moo Juice
3 points to Entry # 5: Independence Day
1 point to Entry # 2: Earthling-Snatching Spree

Hamumu, you really nailed it. I also want to thank you for your kind words for my entry. I would like to explain my interpretation of the mechanics:

Mechanics Limitations:
· Construct a Team - Players must assemble a team/group of something (it doesn't necessarily have to be people) that is used within the game [I accomplished this with the 3-of-a-kind sets]
· Tile/Piece Placement - The placing of tiles or pieces by the players must play an important role in the game [ I accomplished this by creating a "Concentration"-style layout]
· Shared Movement Control - Multiple players must share movement control of at least 1 piece in the game. [I accomplished this with the noise making phase: sis-boom-bah controls the action]

I presume that enlightenment will descend upon the players at some point, and they will realize that they must cooperate.

I guess I was a little too obtuse. But at least one person gave a thumbs-up! Whee!

Mitch

Pt314

Congratulations to Hamumu.

Eathling Snatching Spree got my 5 points.
Moo Juice got my 3 points.
and I can't quite remember which one got my 3rd place 1 point.

I don't really care that I didn't get a single vote. I was in a rush and my design wasn't up to my usual standard, (It may also have something to do with me realizing I spelled 'Abducted' wrong until the voting started.)

I felt that all of the games were pretty creative. May our next showdown be just as good, or better.

doho123
doho123's picture

Man, too bad I missed the whole "Genre:pick up and Deliver" line until it was too late after deadline, otherwise it sounds like Doppleganger might have finished higher. For some reason, all I "saw" was 50's UFO theme with the mechanical restrictions (and I figured I was weak on the team building mechanic).

Oh well, just wait till NEXT month. Wooo-HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Anyway, I've decided to complete the Doppleganger further (with Pick Up and Deliver now added for MORE paranoia!) and clean up some of the nagging issues for me. So it will show up in the Workshop relatively soon in a fairly playable "download and build" format (hopefully).

I'll have some time tomorrow to post my votes and explanations....

sedjtroll
sedjtroll's picture

doho123 wrote:
Anyway, I've decided to complete the Doppleganger further (with Pick Up and Deliver now added for MORE paranoia!)

Now that the showdown is over, you have more freedom to deviate from the restrictions... I hope you're not adding Pu/D just for the sake of the (finished) contest!

- Seth

Yogurt
Yogurt's picture

Pt314 wrote:
I spelled 'Abducted' wrong .

Heh, I thought that was on purpose -- a way of making fun of the sorts of people who claim to be abducted. In fact, I even Googled your game name because I thought it might be some pop culture reference I was missing.

Yogurt

Scurra
Scurra's picture

(In passing, I will note that I too voted for the top three, but in the reverse order to their final places.)

As to my own entry. I have to confess that I gave myself something of a handicap by restricting myself to a game that could actually be played instantly, without needing any special components. As it is, I quite like the mechanisms but not the game :) (But I would defend myself against the criticism that there isn't any team-building in it: there is, but it's the Super Weapon set-collecting.)

Anyway, I'm not bitter about getting no votes (I didn't expect any when I saw some of the other entries!) but I'll get my own back next month.
Oh, wait. I can't enter next month. Curses.

Sebastian

doho123 wrote:
Man, too bad I missed the whole "Genre:pick up and Deliver" line until it was too late after deadline, otherwise it sounds like Doppleganger might have finished higher. For some reason, all I "saw" was 50's UFO theme with the mechanical restrictions (and I figured I was weak on the team building mechanic).

It certainly would have got my vote - it was high on my list before I did my usual winnowing process of reading through all the entries, and checking that the rules had been followed. And since, try as I might, I couldn't find the pick up and deliver, it got cut out (and even then, it was in contention for third place).

Sebastian

Scurra wrote:
Anyway, I'm not bitter about getting no votes (I didn't expect any when I saw some of the other entries!) but I'll get my own back next month.
Oh, wait. I can't enter next month. Curses.

I'm not sure how this stops you being able to get your own back ;)

Hamumu

Hooray for the end of Yogurt's reign of tyranny! I feel so honored to get this recognition from people who seriously know gaming. Makes me feel like I should keep up some effort working at this sort of thing! One note on my game: I completely FORGOT there was a pick-up and deliver element to the challenge. It was just pure luck that that's what my game totally centered around.

I voted for Men In Black on top, putting me in the "Love It" camp there apparently. I think the whole concept was great, having a game where it's your job to explain away UFOs. I also get the impression the author was still hung up on the last contest a little with that UFO tile-laying gadget.

My second goes to Doppleganger, then Earthling-Snatching. I had three others I really wanted to reward as well, but you only get three, so I juggled them around to come up with these results. The other two I really liked were Ubducted and Pudding Corners. Ubducted was just such a simple concept, I felt like it would really work, I love simple games that are just quick and fun. Pudding Corners was a really interesting pod people kind of thing, and hits all the sci-fi movie cliches very hard. What's really lacking in it though is the #1 point of pod-people type scenarios: the paranoia of just who IS an alien. It seemed odd that with such a theme, the players were completely aware of who was who the entire time. But to incorporate that element would require many players and a whole different style.

Doppleganger does have that element, and I'm a complete sucker for that kind of paranoid gameplay. Other people who pointed out that Doppleganger kinda misses on some of the rules are right though, I wasn't really thinking about that stuff as I read through entries.

Until I got to Ataraxis that is! I loved it and I do think it's a good game, it's just so wacked out that it stuck out like a sore thumb and I immediately thought of the rules and how it didn't fit them much. I actually spent some time wondering if it was a joke, but the rules were really good and held together. It's not a joke, it's just a funny game.

Earthling Snatching, not much I can say about it. It was just nifty and elegant, and I probably got suckered in by the stylish art too.

And for the other entries, I honestly really liked them too. Map Quest and The Day The Earth were the others on the brink. I like a lot of the elements of Map Quest, and I like the logic puzzle element to The Day - I like those kind of "programming" type challenges.

So, the drinks are on me! This feels a lot better than my 14th place result in the one-button computer game contest.

Kreitler

First off, congrats to the winners! Hamumu, Seo, Sebastian, those were some mighty fine designs you posted.

Here's how I voted:

1) Men in Black
2) Earthling Snatching Spree
3) Last Stand at Pudding Corners

Looking back, I'm not sure why I didn't vote for "Moo Juice". I did the same thing to Hamumu for the "Little People" showdown -- after the fact, I realized how much I liked his design.

In this case, I think that Moo Juice was a very solid design in every respect, but one that didn't stand out for any particular aspect (yeah, that's a cop-out).

All three of my votes went to games that fulfilled the contest guidelines. I then ordered them based on "stand-out" qualities. MiB took top honors because of it's use of theme -- the whole "battle between humans and aliens" didn't matter, you were just trying to clean up the mess.

"Earthling Snatching" took second honors because it was a more abstract game, which I think are underrepresented in the showdowns.

"Pudding Corners," well, it had Yogurt's trademark feel: a great sense of presence with respect to the theme, even if the mechanics didn't quite come together this time.

Overall, I thought this batch of entries was stronger than those of previous Showdowns.

MapQuest -- fulfilled all requirements nicely and played the classic theme well. I remember reading the rules and wondering about the board size, number of players, and number of pastures -- would 2 player games tend to be simultaneous solitaire?

Independence Day -- interesting use of the movie license, and certainly in the spirit of the theme. I liked the "there can be only one" hero mechanic, though I'm not sure how it would work in practice. Overall, a solid entry, but the rules didn't quite gel for me.

Destroy All Humans -- high marks for conservative component count. Unfortunately, I didn't grok the rules well. I believe that Scurra's brain is wired exactly out of phase with mine, because I never quite get his rules, but I can tell they're always well thought out. I constantly want to see his games played so I can have the "Aha!" moment.

I was Ubducted -- I thought "Ubducted" was intentional, and expected the game to be about snatching "backwoods folks" from the hills (I can get away with saying that because *I'm* from the backwoods). Incredibly clean rules and a classic take on the theme. I would have liked to see some mechanics to encourage player interaction.

Doppleganger -- very interesting game. Probably my 1st or 2nd favorite, but didn't meet the Showdown requirements. It's actually very close to a design I've been working on in the vein of "co-op game with varied individual goals", but better executed. I hope doho keeps us abreast of its development.

Ataraxis -- fascinating, especially since Mitch clarified how it meets the requirements. Also my 1st or 2nd favorite, but dropped because of requirements. This design has it all: simple, creative, unusual. Even the name piques interest--especially if you like 'B' sf movies starring Jesse Ventura...

The Day the Earth Ran Screaming -- my entry. I didn't get a "lightning strike" for a design this month. I struggled through at least three different ideas (one of which involved, I kid you not, the idea that players could only communicate through iambic pentameter -- don't ask). I've been toying with "visual programming" games for a month or two now, so I decided to try out that mechanic for the challenge, with mixed results. If nothing else, it required wayyyyyyyy too many diagrams to communicate the idea.

Hamumu wrote:
and I like the logic puzzle element to The Day - I like those kind of "programming" type challenges.

Well...you might be glad to know that I've got another design for a game like this called "Bugs", where you basically try to crash other player's "programs" by infesting them with your markers. Maybe that one will turn out a little better...

Thanks to Bryk for hosting the challenge, and for all entrants and voters -- this month really cranked it up a notch.

K.

Yogurt
Yogurt's picture

Hamumu wrote:
Yogurt's reign of tyranny!

Hey, it was a reign of terror, I'll have you know.

Quote:
What's really lacking in it though is the #1 point of pod-people type scenarios: the paranoia of just who IS an alien.

True, I spent a lot of time trying to incorporate it, but in a game with 4 mechanics already, adding bluffing proved too much. I felt a weight lift when I thought "maybe just the townspeople are fooled, and the heroes see through it."

Sidenote: Looking over BoardGameGeek, it's amazing how many paranoia pod-people games already exist -- even one with tile-laying ("Beest") -- and yet none of them really nail it as far as I can tell. So perhaps the definitive pod game remains to be made.

Congrats again on designing such a solid game, Hamumu. I hope you have a chance to develop it further. (I think I'd have to lie to people about the theme though. "We're collecting WHAT, dad?" "Milk, dear. Mars needs milkshakes.")

Yogurt

seo
seo's picture

yogurt wrote:
"We're collecting WHAT, dad?" "Milk, dear. Mars needs milkshakes.")

Yogurt
Gotcha! Food again. Boy you're hungry. ;-)

Ah, I guess I should be concentrating on finishing my work and get some sleep. Just two hours of sleep in the last 42 hours, and counting... I guess that will help me surviving 20 hours in the lousy American Airlines plane seats. ;-)

seo
seo's picture

Kreitler wrote:
seo wrote:
Congratulations to all who submitted entries, and specially to Kreitler on winning this month competition with a game I really liked (it was my #1).

Well...as much as I'd like to claim victory...Hamumu submitted the winning game. I was a distant 4th -- which I admit, is better than I thought I'd do with a game that had no "delivery".

I'll post my reviews for everyone's game after I get off work.

K.
Duh! My last neurons are collapsing already. :-/
I meant Hamumu. Hats off to Hamumu for a great game.

Ok. Back to work now.

Seo

sedjtroll
sedjtroll's picture

seo wrote:
Just two hours of sleep in the last 42 hours, and counting... I guess that will help me surviving 20 hours in the lousy American Airlines plane seats. ;-)

Holy cow! And I thought *I* was an insomniac!

Where are you going on American Airlines?

- Seth

doho123
doho123's picture

As I've sated previously, to me, I was looking for the games that I would want to play being the highest requirement; fulfilling the mechanic requirements, while nice, was secondary to the way I voted. Also, another big thing to me was looking for creative takes on the whole UFO thing, as opposed to flying UFO's around and abducting things (which is probably why I didn't vote for the eventual winner, even though the game play seemed pretty sound). Finally, a big thing for me is a simple ruleset, but with a enough depth to make it interesting.

The three games I voted for were (with details), but maybe not in the correct order:

Men In Black: I liked the fairly straightforward rules and the small thematic twist of trying to cover up alien activities is enjoyable. Mechanical toy UFO is cute.

Independence Day: I thought that having essentially three distinct sub-games linked together to form one larger game I thought was pretty bold, even though there might be problems within each sub game; but those could be worked out through playtesting, and the avoidance of the 800 word limit on the rules. It would be fun to try and do this where different designers are assigned merely "here's some starting stuff and the game ends when this happens," that can ontinually link to the next game that another game designer is working on independantly.

The Day The Earth Ran Screaming: I liked this idea a lot; trying to predict whether the bi-polar robot will be friendly or angry when it comes your way. With enough paytesting, this game could be a lot of fun without being overcomplicated. However, there is a much room to add various levels of depth; probably has the most potential of all the entries in terms of coming up with something REALLY interesting, not to mention expansions and such.

Of the games I didn't vote for:
Map Quest: Seemed to be quite "fiddly" with a lot of pawns, and possible "analysis paraysis" possiblities:"You may move any pieces available to you. The pieces available to you are: Any neutral or federal agent human pawns, brainwashed pawns of your own color, and your scout ship "

Earthling Snatching Spree: In a sort of interesting take of the ongoing "graphics/no graphics' debate, the snazzy abstract circuit-board graphic is quite possibly one of the reasons I DIDN'T vote for this game, since it lost all sense of theme to me. Funny that I don't mind the "drawn in Excel" graphics however. Also, some potential "analysys paralysis". And, a basic take on the Alien Kidnapping story, which, thematically, I was looking for some more.

Pudding Corners: I liked the approach on the theme. However the game seemed fairly complicated, what with leaders (with special powers!), pod people, special safety tiles, equipment, bonus action counter, etc. However, with some playtesting, I'm sure a lot of "addition by subtraction" could make this a cool game. I'm guessing that a lot of this was probably inspired by the Zombies game (just a guess since I'm not that familiar with it).

Destroy All Humans: I don't know, there's nothing that inspired me on this game for some reason. Maybe the rules needed a re-write, for some reason I had a hard time understanding what was going on.

Ubducted!: Actually, this could turn out to be a fairly nice kids game. "Guess what you are capturing, and you keep those cards". If the requirements were to design a kid's game, this would get my vote.

Moo Juice!: Looking back, maybe I should've paid more attention to this one. Maybe the silly name made me not look deeper into it; I do remember that this was the fourth game in my top 4 picks, for what that's worth. I probably dropped it out of my top 3 for being the least creative with the theme.

seo
seo's picture

sedjtroll wrote:
seo wrote:
Just two hours of sleep in the last 42 hours, and counting... I guess that will help me surviving 20 hours in the lousy American Airlines plane seats. ;-)

Holy cow! And I thought *I* was an insomniac!

Where are you going on American Airlines?

- Seth

OK, I had a nap, now it's 4 hours in 51. :-)

I'm going to LA and whereabouts, probably down to San Diego, then Las Vegas a few days, then North by the caostline up to Monterrey wher we will turn to the east to visit Yosemite, then to San Francisco. By july 9th we take the plane to NYC where we'll stay two weeks, returning to Montevideo in july 23rd.

So I'll probably be away from the forums for the next 30 days. :-(

Seo

Pt314

yogurt wrote:
Pt314 wrote:
I spelled 'Abducted' wrong .

Heh, I thought that was on purpose -- a way of making fun of the sorts of people who claim to be abducted. In fact, I even Googled your game name because I thought it might be some pop culture reference I was missing.

Yogurt

Kreitler wrote:
I thought "Ubducted" was intentional, and expected the game to be about snatching "backwoods folks" from the hills (I can get away with saying that because *I'm* from the backwoods). Incredibly clean rules and a classic take on the theme. I would have liked to see some mechanics to encourage player interaction.

Hmm, If I ever make this game I probably would keep the name misspelled. It is kind of funny, and gives it a bit more character.

With the player interaction, I thought the idea of shared movement of the UFO was enough. You can kind of steer it away from where the other people want it, (unless a majority of the players want it there), and you won't want to move to the edge of the board if you think the next player can win by moving it off. I might make this one and try it out. If there isn't enough interaction I will add some things. Thanks, I tried to have my submission clean and simple.

doho123 wrote:
Actually, this could turn out to be a fairly nice kids game. "Guess what you are capturing, and you keep those cards". If the requirements were to design a kid's game, this would get my vote.

This could make a good kids game.

I liked the ideas behind 'Doppelganger' and 'Ataraxis' but I felt they were too much off the guidelines for my vote.

Syndicate content

forum | by Dr. Radut