Skip to Content

Critique the Game Designs -- May 2005 Showdown

43 replies [Last post]
seo
seo's picture

Kreitler wrote:
This got my "Best Gadget" vote. The "ideal car" generator is elegant in its simplicity and, more importantly, would probably actually work precisely as designed. The game itself was well thought-out and presented, though it felt like some of the rules could be streamlined. As far as the presentation goes, all I can say is "Seo's art is gorgeous." I wish I had that kind of talent... Nice job all around.

I'm flattered. :-)
This is the first game design I sort of complete, so I wasn't really expecting any votes, just using the showdown deadline to force me to put things toghether and get some feedback afterwards.
Glad you liked the art (though I'm planning on giving it a cleaner, more comic-book look, something in the line of Coop's drawings). As for my talent, feel free to grab a bit of it for any of your projects; just let me know if I can help you with art for any project you have, I'll be happy to be of help.

yogurt wrote:
I thought seo's design for his Hot Rod gadget was just gorgeous. My jaw dropped when I saw it. In the end though, Payload got my gadget vote, because I'd seen pachinko boards like Hot Rod before, but radial pinball was entirely new to me. Also, the Hot Rod gadget could probably be replaced by dice or cards, whereas the Payload launcher had no easy substitute.

Well, thanks. You guys are spoiling me. ;-)
I totally agree about my gadget being just dice (or cards) on steroids, easily replaceable. That bothered me a bit, but I decided to keep it and make it doable rather than keep trying to come up with a better idea that would probably not come in time, or force me to redesign the gameplay, which would have been very time consuming, so I played for the safe bet. The rolling cubes attached to the pachinko board were quite original, IMHO, so I felt the device was original ebough to fit the contest rules. But I definitely share your feeling.
Actually the gadget design limits the number of variations, while cards or dice would give more freedom, so that might be a weakness. OTOH, dice or cards wouldn't automatically give the image of the ideal car, so that I think is an argument that favors the gadget against dice or cards. Not too strong an argument, though. ;-)

yogurt wrote:
By the way, if I were building Hot Rod for real, I'd let the players see the bouncing ball as it falls. That's part of the fun, guessing which way it will go.

Great idea, yogurt. :-)
I could place the sky inside the pachinko board, make the front (currently internal) face clear plastic, and cut the image of the car and the route at the skyline. That will also add a nice depth to the gadget. I like it. :-)

emxibus wrote:
"Hot Rod Mania" got my #3 vote. I really liked the theme. I mechanics of building the cars is very cool.

Thanks. :-)
After I begun working on this idea I recalled an old PC game I loved to play: Street-Rod. That one was about bulding a faster car and winning races, though, while mine is more about getting as many different pieces as you can to be able to match the ideal car, but de garage theme is definitelly fascinating.

Seo

Sebastian

Well, I suppose I should post something about the challenges. I'm going to do this in three posts, one to fill in the details of my entry that people asked for, one to talk about my entry from scratch, and the third to talk about the other entries.

So, first, my own entry. People wanted to know about the manufacturing process. In my view, each machine would have a list of between two and five things that it could make, looking something like this

A + B = M1
A + C + D = M2
? + B = M3
? + ? + E = M4

(only with the little pictures of the resources instead of letters, and pictures of the manufactured goods instead of the Ms).

When selling goods, I imagined a sliding scale of prices, with each good in one position. When someone sold a good, it would be removed and placed at the bottom, and all the other goods slid up.

4 3 3 2 2 1 0
A B C D E F G

(someone sells good B for three)

4 3 3 2 2 1 0
A C D E F G B

That said, this is all stuff that I'd expect the first playtest to change completely, and indeed, may well have been replaced by placeholder systems the first time I playtested it. (Pretend you can manufacture stuff - I'll make sure it all comes out right - I want to test if Mr Crinkleworth wandering about works). I therefore didn't bother to include details - I was sure people could fill in the holes.

There were three other comments / questions I would like to address:

Quote:
I wonder if players would be able to earn enough money, when every action costs a penny?

Part of the point of the game is that you won't be able to earn much money. Money is essentially actions, and if you have unlimited actions, the game will break. Don't forget, that at the end of each week, you get pay of 2 pennies (this may have to be increased to three as a result of playtesting, but it feels about right)

Moreover, you're supposed to be penniless workers making pointless goods to satisfy the nutcase in the top hat. You being able to make a profit on top of that would just be out of keeping for the game ;)

Quote:
Also, it seems like players would have to rotate their order each turn -- those who move early in the turn are much more likely to have their goods destroyed than those who move later.

I wonder if you understood the rules correctly - during each turn, play goes round and round the table until each player has passed - therefore there is a bit of turn order effect, but it should be marginal because each player has the chance to do multiple actions. In fact, I think the advantage may well be to the players going first, becase they will have first dibs on the goods in the chute

I suspect I'd need to introduce some mechanism to deal with turn order (first person to pass gets the 'first player' marker?), but this is minor twiddling rather than crucial decision.

Quote:
I do wonder if there is enough player interaction. As described, the game sounds like it might suffer from "simultaneous solitaire syndrome."

This is a valid concern, and I suspect after the first playtest, I'd have replaced the current scoring with some sort of majority scoring in order to deal with this (the player with most / second most goods get X,Y - the player with most / second most resources lose V,W). But it's hard to say without playing it.

If you have any other questions, please ask.

Sebastian

Sebastian wrote:
Well, I suppose I should post something about the challenges. I'm going to do this in three posts, one to fill in the details of my entry that people asked for, one to talk about my entry from scratch, and the third to talk about the other entries.

In my entry, I based the design on the manufacturing requirement, because I haven't yet completed a manufacturing game, and this was the part that interested me. When to set it? Victorian England seemed like a fine time, because I was sure I could write an intro that would pull in some votes (or not, as it turned out to be). Now, there were two angles, the first being that you were competing factory owners, the second that you were downtrodden workers. The former had been done loads of times, so I went for the latter.

But what to do about the gadget. I thought of having some sort of electoric machine in the middle that did stuff, but the more I thought about it, the less happy I was - part of the reason that I like board games better than electronic games is that it is possible to intuitively understand what will happen (you know what the probabilities on the dice will be, etc - electronic randomisers ... well, who knows...), and the other outlandish ideas were hard to get to work reliably (a crucial problem in such a game) or cost far too much (and I have a self-imposed realism constraint on my games). So I ended up with the rather useless chute idea - I justified it on the basis that it both randomised amounts in each channel as well as resources, but it wasn't anything a dice and a bag of coloured cubes couldn't handle just as well.

The main bit of the game was then prompted by my belief that manufacturing games have to have a different victory condition than simply manufacturing most, because otherwise you can only have a single strategy for the game. So I got Mr Crinkleworth wandering about, and the rest was pretty much filling in what details I felt were necessary.

On the whole, my entry was not particularly good because it didn't meet the gadget requirement properly, and the manufacturing method shown was not all that innovative - however, I do think that the game would be a relatively solid game, albeit probably not one which has enough spark to try and take further. It joins my list of games to stick on the back burner until I come up with a new take on it (or if I have nothing better playtest, I suppose - it wouldn't be hard to mock up a playtest version).

Sebastian

Sebastian wrote:

In this post, I'll discuss the other entries.

When voting, I eliminated all entries that did not meet the challenge, and all the entries where either the manufacturing or the gadget felt as if they were tagged onto the game. These were the following:

4) Skyscrapers/Windcatchers
Eliminated - although the gadget was interesting, it felt horribly gimicky and added on at the end.

5) Payload
Eliminated - the manufacturing to give you the rocket doesn't sensibly work, and being given a card at the beginning of each turn, and being allowed to trade does not, in my opition, satisfy "Players must take part in both buying and selling things in the game." The wonderful gadget did earn considerable brownie points, though

6) Zoastro
Eliminated - is there any manufacturing, buying or selling? I didn't notice it. Again, a wonderful gadget, and one which got my 'best gadget' vote.

7) The Cupcake Lords of Camp Legume
Eliminated - the game would be exactly the same if the manufacturing was removed. Therefore the game does not meet the manufacturing requirement. (I'm not entirely convinced that the auction machine, while cool, would actually provide any interesting decisions - it all seems rather random.)

Then, I looked at what was left...

1) Patent Office
The gadget plays no roll that a five sided dice could not, and I am unconvinced about the rest of the game - it seems to be who is lucky enough to draw a couple of starts and ends first, and get patents in before payday, both of which are purely random events.

2) Brewster’s Mullions
The gadget would be impossible to use sensibly, because of the fact that the words will be upside down, and sideways. We weren't told how the resources were supposed to make the items, so I haven't a clue how the game's supposed to work. I just don't think that there's a game here.

3) The Factory of Mr. Crinkleworth
The gadget plays no roll that some other randomisation device couldn't deal with cheaper, and the manufacturing isn't all that exciting. Besides, it's my entry, so I couldn't possibly vote for it.

8) Hot-Rod Mania
The gadget plays no role that a dice and couple of replacement cards couldn't do - and in fact, I think the game would be better (as in producable) without the gadget. I wasn't entirely convinced by the game due to the fact that it's got too many numbers in the manufacturing given the simplicity of strategy I think it would provide.

9) Poseidon's Fury
This game had a very cool gadget which were totally integrated into the manufacturing side - empty lobster pots, plus time produce full lobster pots (at least, that's how I interpreted it). Completely impractical to produce, and has nasty real time elements, and not all that much interaction (I suspect) are pretty big disadvantages, though.

10) Smooth Operator
The gadget plays no role that replacing the fruit with a deck of cards couldn't do - and indeed, would probably be more producable without the gadget. The rest of the game seems relatively solid, though.

Then, I decided what to vote for:

First place: Poseidon's Fury
The fact that the gadget and the manufacturing were unique and tied together nicely overweighed the practical problems that the game would have to be any good.

Second place: Smooth Operator
Of the games that met the challenge, this seemed to have the most solid game behind it.

Third place: Patent Office
I'm not sure I shouldn't have voted for Hot Rod Mania, or one of the eliminated entries, but hey, it met the constraints, and besides it's only one point ;)

seo
seo's picture

Intresting analysis, It raised some issues I hadn't tought about (like Brewster's Mullions device word pieces appearing sideways and upside down, the main drawback I did notice was that the roots would always be roots, but prefixes and sufixes would play both roles) and some I had perceived (the manufacturing in Cupcake Lords being a bit like another game attached to the bidding game, for instance).

As for comments on my entry:

Sebastian wrote:
8) Hot-Rod Mania
The gadget plays no role that a dice and couple of replacement cards couldn't do - and in fact, I think the game would be better (as in producable) without the gadget.
As I already said, I fully agree.

Sebastian wrote:
I wasn't entirely convinced by the game due to the fact that it's got too many numbers in the manufacturing given the simplicity of strategy I think it would provide.
Here you lost me. What does "it's got too many numbers" mean? Do you feel the method to calculate the car price is too complex? Do you think the strategy is too simple, meaning there is one strategy to follow that you think would always beat competing strategies (like by just completing cars with any piece and selling them soon, regardless of the "ideal", would beat trying to at least partially match the "ideal" to get a better price; if other player sells, thus the "ideal" will change, you sell whatever car you have, or wait to see if the new "ideal" rises your car price?)

I'm really interested in any feedback you can give me.
BTW, had you explained manufacturing in your game as you did now, you would most likely have got my vote. :-/

Seo

Sebastian

seo wrote:
Sebastian wrote:
I wasn't entirely convinced by the game due to the fact that it's got too many numbers in the manufacturing given the simplicity of strategy I think it would provide.
Here you lost me. What does "it's got too many numbers" mean? Do you feel the method to calculate the car price is too complex? Do you think the strategy is too simple, meaning there is one strategy to follow that you think would always beat competing strategies (like by just completing cars with any piece and selling them soon, regardless of the "ideal", would beat trying to at least partially match the "ideal" to get a better price; if other player sells, thus the "ideal" will change, you sell whatever car you have, or wait to see if the new "ideal" rises your car price?)

I'm really interested in any feedback you can give me.

It's hard to say - this, as with all the voting and so on, is all based on intuitive feel as opposed to actually having played the game, which in my opinion is essential. I suppose that my main complaint is that the multiples feel all wrong. $700 is an awkward number to pay as a base price. You only use $50 at one stage in the game, and that's the end phase. I just feel that you're going to be passing around an awful lot of paper money meaning that the game's going to be focused on that rather than on the cars, which is where the focus should be.

Throwing ideas into the air, I think that a base price of $500 would be better, because that means that you get the $500, and one $100 for each price that matched, giving a perfect price of $1,000. At the end, each set of four parts gives $200 (this avoids needing $50, and means that ensuring you have more than three at the end would be interesting (possibly ;) )).

[Regarding mono-strategy, you may have problems with this, but I can't really tell without playing, and there are numerous fixes, from increasing the 'perfect car' bonus, to rewarding the best car sold each round. You may want to have some mechanism by which you can change the fashions during the course of a selling round, too (pay $100 to change the fashion to one thing of your choice). All the bits in this paragraph are purely speculative, though, so I'd take them with a big pinch of salt.]

seo
seo's picture

Now I got it, thanks for the clarification Sebastian.

I understand your concern about 700 being an odd figure as base price, but unless my calculations are all wrong, only 31.6% of the possible cars would be sellable for the base price. Most time at least one of the pieces will match the "ideal", so even if I change the values as you suggest, I'll end up with less than one third of the cars being sold for 500. I'm planning to print a first prototype next week and do some family playtest, to check all the basic mechanics, and will take special attention to this issue. I share your idea that the simpler the money exchange is the better.

I don't want to hijack this topic, so I'll probably start a new one once I do that initial playtest next week. to keep getting helpful feedback and posting any progress I make into this game.

Thanks a lot,

Seo

Sebastian

seo wrote:
I understand your concern about 700 being an odd figure as base price, but unless my calculations are all wrong, only 31.6% of the possible cars would be sellable for the base price. Most time at least one of the pieces will match the "ideal", so even if I change the values as you suggest, I'll end up with less than one third of the cars being sold for 500.

Yes, but the point is that the 500 is an easy point to start the calculations. $500 for the car, $100, $200, $300 for the mods. And these calculations don't just have to be done when a car is completed, but each time one of the players considers what their strategy should be. As said, it may not be a problem.

seo
seo's picture

Sebastian wrote:
Yes, but the point is that the 500 is an easy point to start the calculations. $500 for the car, $100, $200, $300 for the mods. And these calculations don't just have to be done when a car is completed, but each time one of the players considers what their strategy should be. As said, it may not be a problem.

Indeed, you have a good point. I'll probably change the chassis price to $300 or $400, and base price for completed car to $1.000, and then 1100, 1200, 1300 or 1500 for the perfect match. $500 for base price seems too low, as you would pay for chassis plus four pieces (list price: $100 each), and I want to reward car completion with extra money. But I'll definitelly be testing different price combinations and looking for a nice round base price. You've convinced me on this. :-)

Thanks again,

Seo

Hedge-o-Matic
Hedge-o-Matic's picture

Hey, guys! I missed the submission deadline for this one, even though I had a game designed for it and all nice and written out! Well, Seth knows what I'm talking about, since I discussed it with him the week before the deadline. I actually found the contest to be strangely liberating, designing a game that I knew would never be produced. I went to town with the physical components, since cost was of no consequence! Real Life swamped me, suddenly, and I haven't been near my PC for weeks! Well, better luck next month!

I was surprised at the variety of game themes, and found that to be pretty interesting itself. Also, reading the descriptions of the gadgets was another thing I was looking forward to, since description of a physical object that performs some game function is pretty difficult. I admit, I had to read a few of the descriptions two or three times to get what, exactly, the item did for the game, but it was cool to see all the ideas.

Congrats to the winners!

Oh, and I lost a bundle on my bet that Yogurt would threepeat!

Challengers

Way to go, yogurt! guess I was wrong about your entry, eh? ;)

1. Best game was Entry #5, Payload!
2. Next game was Entry #8, Hot Rod Mania
3. Next game was Entry #1, Patent Office

My vote for best gadget = Entry #5, Satellite Launcher (AWESOME!)
I really wanted to vote for the Hot Rod Thingy, but it is too easy to replace its function with four dice.

I spent a lot of time critiquing the entries (and sighing with envy at all the neat gadgets). Unfortunately, the day the voting closed was the same day I finally had to pack up our computers and move 60 miles south. By the time I got everything set up again, I had lost my notes. (I actually cut-and-pasted the vote from the pm I sent to Brykovian!)

Everything that could be said about the entries seems to have been said, but I wish to add that Brykovian did a wonderful job coming up with the gadget requirement. There seems to be a bit of the wacky inventor in all of us, and the gadgets bear that out.
Speaking of inventors, let me talk about my entry, Brewster's Mullions. I was inspired to use a gadget based on the actual contest description! ("cube", "phrase" and "dial")

Brykovian wrote:
Things like the cube tower from "Wallenstein", phrase disk from the original "Catch Phrase" (or its electronic replacement), base dials from "MageKnight"

Unfortunately, this turned out to be more gimmicky than essential and, as seo pointed out, the possibility of creating nonsense words mars game-play. (For what it's worth, I never solved Rubik's cube without using a booklet!) The open market bidding was lifted right out of Pit. As for the
resources, I can only say that I did a horrid job of conveying how they were to be "assembled". In my mind, I pictured a Rubik's cube with inventions whose names would suggest the use of lenses (scope), springs and gears (chrono) and radioactivity (x-ray). Each device would be enclosed in a steel tube, steel box or a steel timepiece. Since everyone would need at least three of the four resources, the bidding would become the main focus of the game until, like Pit, one player suddenly emerged with three prototypes!

After reading the feedback, I feel that this game would benefit by eliminating the gadget and simply expanding the number of inventor cards and types of resources. The wacky names should be incorporated somehow, otherwise, it's just another resource-gathering game.

Mitch

seo
seo's picture

Glad you liked my game. :)

Challengers wrote:
I really wanted to vote for the Hot Rod Thingy, but it is too easy to replace its function with four dice.
Even easier than that, I just printed a prototype, and simply got rid of the gadget altoghether! Players just draw one piece tile from the pile instead of dropping a marble in the gadget. That acomplishes the same effect without the need of any extra parts besides the car boards, the tiles and the money.

I think Brewster Mullions might replace the gadget with three piles of cards (prefixes, roots, sufixes). Each card would have some materials (eg: "scope" might have "lens", "crystal" and "glass") and you build your prototype by combining one resource you choose from each card. That would give you a fixed target to acheive (you decide if it's kept secret or not), based on which cards you draw, and some sort of logic linking the randomly generated names with the resulting prototypes, while it gives room for variation. As I said before, I really liked the game idea, I'm sure it has potential for a great game.

Seo

Challengers

seo wrote:
Glad you liked my game. :)

I think Brewster Mullions might replace the gadget with three piles of cards (prefixes, roots, sufixes). Each card would have some materials (eg: "scope" might have "lens", "crystal" and "glass") and you build your prototype by combining one resource you choose from each card. That would give you a fixed target to acheive (you decide if it's kept secret or not), based on which cards you draw, and some sort of logic linking the randomly generated names with the resulting prototypes, while it gives room for variation. As I said before, I really liked the game idea, I'm sure it has potential for a great game.

Seo

Thanks for the compliment. It is interesting that, were it not for the gadget requirement, I would have never come up with that theme.

Mitch

Syndicate content

forum | by Dr. Radut