Skip to Content

Critique the November 2005 GDS Challenge Entries

49 replies [Last post]
Horoku

Quote:
In defense of my game (I guess I've outed myself), I do have lists in my game, but I guess it is more subtle than an actual card with a list on it. The "lore" chips in the game were meant to be so plentiful that you would find a lot of them.

Just for the record, gamebot, I actually DID notice that mechanic in the game and thought that, although not exactly to the letter, it did to a certain extent satisfy the list req. since the items to be collected were ASSIGNED to the players through the chips. The games I d/q-ed were games in which there wasn't even a remote attempt at fulfilling the rule.

Nandalf

hey, any idea when the results will be posted?
'cause im 10 hours behind you lot lol so its 1.10am here, wondering if it'll be soon [hour or two] or later?

thanx,

Xaqery
Xaqery's picture

Voting will end tomorrow at 11am EST I belive or over 14 hours from now.

THe results will then be posted when the host can get to it.

- Dwight

Nandalf

wow... i royally mucked my guess up Lol... night chaps

Brykovian
Brykovian's picture

My apologies in the delay in getting the votes tallied ... I hope to have it done within the next couple of days.

-Bryk

Yogurt
Yogurt's picture

Wow, that was a pretty disastrous result for my game! One third place vote. And yet it was one of my favourite submissions so far. Gorilla eggs! Oh well.

Of my two minigames, Politics had a neat use of doubledice, but the game would be a jumble of elbows in real life. Strangely, my wife came home this afternoon telling me about some Knizia domino/dice game. I imagine it's not real time. Note that the almost-real-time variation of Politics was borrowed from Tom Jolly's patented system. :)

Racing Inland (where low cards beat high cards, but high total wins) would be a better minigame than Politics, I think, although admittedly it didn't fit the contest well. It's an adapted version of the combat minigame from my Z-Man monster game.

My votes on the other games were Hero...Myth..., Evolution, and The Secret-Society-of-Deadly-Dead-Celebrities, all of which did well, I'm glad to see. I'll have more comments on them later, once I dig out my notes.

Yogurt

Scurra
Scurra's picture

Hmmm. First time that I didn't vote for either of the top two (although I did vote for the winning mini-game, so maybe I'm not totally weird ;-)
Ultimately, I think the confines were drawn a little bit too tightly this month (not the reason I didn't enter :-), such that the games that I found most interesting (Evolution and Atlantis) veered a little far outside the rules. Having said that, I voted for Johan's "Little Old Lady" game, which was way, way outside the rules but in a sufficiently original way.

Yes, in practise, the "Politics" game would probably fail miserably, but it was such a fun use of the double dice. And many of the other mini-games really did work (albeit frequently because they were implementations of existing games!) which impressed me.

Another good crop, chaps. Looking forward to next month (The Great Santa Claus Massacre, perhaps?)

DanogNellows

Yeah I find myself thinking I don't get it either. Although my 1st place vote
was for the winner. My other 2 votes were for entries were I was the sole
vote for those games. Am I seeing something no one else is?

Although I really have a hard time picturing other peoples games (including
professional games) solely off of rules. I need to actually play them to understand. For instance I have read the rules to Caylus twice now, and think I understand it. But I won't be able to judge the "fun" factor until my
pre order arrives.

DN

Hamumu

Well, here are my reviews (I do these every month, it's how I gather up my thoughts to pick a winner):

1 - Quest For The Lowly Tale
This game is eerily just like mine! The similarities are amazing, right down to the method of obtaining objects. I didn't like the minigames here at all. The pirate was okay, and Cthulhu was just the same thing, and the hurricane was horrible! Game killer. Outside of the minigames, it's a pretty basic, but seemingly reasonable and enjoyable game.

2 - Gambol
Pretty interesting. There's a couple unclear things to me, one of which is just the fairness of the challenges. I can't manage the statistics, but it looks like after a couple of games of this, people would find the one challenge that was best for challengers (except of course Rainbow, which requires the right circumstances), and never use the other. I think that'd be the Match one, as just from looking at it Double Vision seems stacked way against the challenger. Match is also a little weird - why ever wager more than 1? All 6 numbers are equally likely, and that would save you money. If you bet anything more than 1, worse yet, your opponent can bid less than you, which means your victory will earn you less.

3 - How Much Wood
I like the board setup in this game a lot. The gameplay is pretty good too. I have two issues with it though: #1, I'm pretty sure there is no clear number on a 3-in-a-cube, just 3 dice inside a blank cube. I hope I'm right, since my game depends on it! And #2, the Log Rolling is just overcomplicated for no reason. I like the Thump Off, but the Log Rolling has too much to it. I think the agility rolling bit should not be in there. Also the idea of flipping the neutral coin if both players don't match is kind of silly too... it affects nothing!

4 - Hero Myth Etc.
I really like this game - the main concept of having to navigate a player along blindfolded is a lot of fun. An interesting twist is that the value of persuasion chips (and other minor prizes) may not be nearly enough to convince the navigator to help his foes in every instance. He might not guide them to a shipwreck, but to the wrong island? Sure! Not always, but it adds some tension. There's a pretty good amount of complexity here, but it all makes enough sense that I don't see people getting lost. The minigames here are quite minimal, but that's sort of a good thing - this is the first entry I've read where the main game is really interesting instead of mainly a framework for the minigames (which includes my own entry, I admit).

5 - Antiquarium
The coolest use of the custom dice yet. And as always, I find pictures of an actual prototype inspiring and impressive. Although it appears to me in the last picture that the setup rule has been ignored - there are only 2 adjacent discovery chips, and clearly 3 players. A rule change? One problem with this entry is that it violates the contest rule of the list of items needed to win being random/unknown (in fact, there is no specific list in this game). Otherwise, I like this one. It's another that hits the main game much harder than the minigames, which I appreciate (won't win coolest minigame though!). Not bad, other than breaking the rules.

6 - Backwater
Hamstyle.

7 -Ants Go Marching
Sounds pretty interesting. Some of the rules seem too fiddly and would probably be whittled down in playtesting to more succinct versions. There are things I don't quite understand, like the hats - why 10 each of 3 types per player? Can't you only have 3 squads total, each of which needs a unique type of hat to identify them? Or wait, do you actually put the hats ON the ants? That's adorable, but I figured you'd be moving a pawn around the board to indicate the army. Do you actually have to move all the ants at once, with hats on? That's very close to unplayable with all the spilling that would occur! I think this could be a really good game, that's got some unique gameplay to it, almost like a mini-wargame of sorts - but it needs to be simplified and trimmed, or maybe I just need to understand the rules better.

8 - Old Lady
This is a very avant garde ruleset... I don't think I actually like that, it's very tough to follow, but I like the premise (not of ordering the rules that way, but of the game). I like the mechanism of the deck with animals she swallows, and how each time it's the right one in sequence, everything gets reset and sped up a little bit in a sense. The whole game has a really unique structure (not just the way the rules are written!). It took me some reading to get it, but I really like it. Big minus for minigames - by my count, the bidding on items is really the only minigame (man, it's tricky deciding what's a minigame and what's just part of the game in general). Other than that, and the difficulty of dealing with the rule format, this is really nice! Oh, and also, it violates the "waterscape" rule I think. This was my #2 choice, but I decided with all the violations I had to remove it.

9 - Mors Atlantis
I think this doesn't meet the 'scavenger hunt' requirement. But it sounds quite cool. The minigames in this game though, ouch. I think I'd need scrap paper to do all the calculating. I really like the hex spells you put around your island, and how the colors have to match. If the combat made more sense to me (probably would be a lot more comprehensible if there were no double dice involved!), I think this would be a very nice game. I didn't have trouble understanding how the combat worked, but it felt like it would be incredibly difficult and tedious in practice.

10 - Pack Rats
I'm sort of in the middle on this one. Pretty good, but I don't love it. I like how the minigames seem so integrated into the main game. I don't think I like a game so dependent on memory. The gameplay seems solid, but it just doesn't do it for me. Actually, I want to praise it more highly than that... it seems really clever and interesting, it's just that it's not the right gameplay for me.

11 - Evolution
Classic: "Play starts with the start player". Curious: move any number of germs from a place to another place that can be reached only by moving through other germs. As written (and interpreted liberally), you could move anywhere on the board by continuously chaining them forward. I guess each germ may only move one time? Even if this is so, it still allows some massive movement. Imagine a chain of 4 germs in a row. Move the last one in front of the first, then 2nd to last in front of that, etc. In the end, you've effectively moved one germ 8 spaces. Or maybe the rule is that you can only move a set of germs from one space, I don't know. Just an action that got me thinking. I like the evolutions and how you get them with increasing number of tokens, and how they affect things. Pretty cool game overall, but I'm still kind of vexed by the movement mechanic. There are some missing issues in here - how do you add more germs to the board? How do you take tokens from the ground? I think I'd really like this finished game, but I'm a little lost as to the details right now.

12 - Save Lake Filth
I love the board! Boggle as a board setup mechanism is great. Would be really cool for a travel game too, if the cubes seated fairly firmly. I wonder if the 'clean all your tiles to get one badge' (that may or may not be one you need) makes the game drag out too much. I think it might be too slow as a result. Another concern is the Double Or Nothing game... if I read it right, it seems like a completely random chance of seeing who wins, since you're adding an unknown number (I guess you know 2 numbers it can't be, but that still leaves a wide range) to a chosen number. The trick game seems a little more reasonable, but also pretty close to purely random. I really like the core game here a lot, I just think it might turn out too long, and that the minigames aren't so interesting. And just think of the frustration when you had one tile to go and someone else finishes and reshuffles!

13 - Dead Celebs
The humor is rocking here, especially the line about "emancipating your soul". The Deadly Dice minigame is quite weak, but I like the Wiki Tiki one. It would however be a major pain to see the values of the inner dice as they got stacked upon. I'm not very clear in when the Wiki Tiki challenge begins though - if only one person has gotten all their parts, they have no one to play against. Do you wait for a certain number of turns, or until a certain number have finished, or what? The main gameplay is pretty interesting here, trying to keep yourself hidden while collecting your parts. Memorizing what each celeb needs to collect would make a big difference in your ability to play, though. I like it overall.

14 - Giant Monster Arch.
Um... where are the giant monsters? I guess they're included in the locals. Hardly seems deserving of a title inclusion! I really liked the maze-building minigame. The other minigame, I was totally lost. I like the overall gameplay in a lot of ways. I'm not sure I'd call the special events you buy with the maze game "new rules" though. They're just special events (okay, some obviously are permanent changes, but that happens in other games too). When I first saw mention of them I thought they would actually change the rules of the game fundamentally, a la Fluxx, which seemed very interesting. The way you buy/find treasures is very nice actually. This is again one of the games to defy the "scavenger hunt" rule of the contest. There is no specific list of treasures to find.

15 - Island Scavenge
The thing I like best here: the shouting game where you, as pirates, need to make as many aRRRs as possible. The items having unique powers are nice, although I am quite sure that the sneakers are completely overpowering (add to BOTH dice?). There seems to be a problem in that players can only hold as many items as they have List Cards, but, given that they're called List Cards, each one surely must mention more than one item. So it is impossible to collect enough items to win. If they don't list more than one item, why are there a different number of them than there are of items? Another, very major flaw, is the compass card. The act of flipping it over changes its orientation. And can be done in virtually any direction you want, no less, if you're dextrous. I would say just have them all flip down their compass cards at once. Despite these issues (or so they seem to me), I like this game. I think it would be one I'd want to play - very simple, quite random, but just a fun diversion.

DanogNellows

Yeah there is no # on the clear die for the 3n1. I didn't realize that until
after I had posted my game. I saw that the double die clear die had a #
so I just ass-u-me d the 3n1 did as well. So I would have to assume a
custom made die.

DN

Nandalf

wow! joint 5th, and joint 2nd in the minigame :)
i didnt win but it was great fun, and reading the other entries was great too... did get a bit of ''why didnt i do that'' syndrome though!

- i didnt think about the fact the compass cards would look different after being flipped! design flaw *hides*

this was awesome fun... whens the next one?

Johan
Johan's picture

Hamumu wrote:

8 - Old Lady
This is a very avant garde ruleset... I don't think I actually like that, it's very tough to follow, but I like the premise (not of ordering the rules that way, but of the game). I like the mechanism of the deck with animals she swallows, and how each time it's the right one in sequence, everything gets reset and sped up a little bit in a sense. The whole game has a really unique structure (not just the way the rules are written!). It took me some reading to get it, but I really like it. Big minus for minigames - by my count, the bidding on items is really the only minigame (man, it's tricky deciding what's a minigame and what's just part of the game in general). Other than that, and the difficulty of dealing with the rule format, this is really nice! Oh, and also, it violates the "waterscape" rule I think. This was my #2 choice, but I decided with all the violations I had to remove it.

Thanks for those words Hamumu. Not bad for a game that took 90 minutes from that I read the rules to it was completed. I wrote the plot and then added the rules within the text (I wanted the testament to be the second mini-game but that was no hit). It was easy to write but I know it was hard to read.
A prototype is on its way and it will be tested the 10th of December (small changes but not very much).

One thing I notice among the games that got the top positions: All had pictures. Of the 5 in top, 4 had pictures to describe the game (#11 on forth place did not). That is the good thing with pictures, you can describe your game and get it clearer. That is on the same time the downside of using pictures. You don’t have to describe your game, just show the audience a bunch of pictures and hope that they got the message (I also voted for those with pictures).
Next time I will do a game with a lot of pictures but under 100 words ;).

// Johan

Sebastian

Hamumu wrote:

11 - Evolution
Classic: "Play starts with the start player". Curious: move any number of germs from a place to another place that can be reached only by moving through other germs. As written (and interpreted liberally), you could move anywhere on the board by continuously chaining them forward. I guess each germ may only move one time? Even if this is so, it still allows some massive movement. Imagine a chain of 4 germs in a row. Move the last one in front of the first, then 2nd to last in front of that, etc. In the end, you've effectively moved one germ 8 spaces. Or maybe the rule is that you can only move a set of germs from one space, I don't know. Just an action that got me thinking.

I wrote the following

o Move any number of germs from one location to any location that can be reached by only moving through locations occupied by germs of their type.

What I was trying to say was that you could take any number of germs in one location. Then you could move them to any location that can be reached by moving as described.

Hamumu wrote:

I like the evolutions and how you get them with increasing number of tokens, and how they affect things. Pretty cool game overall, but I'm still kind of vexed by the movement mechanic. There are some missing issues in here - how do you add more germs to the board? How do you take tokens from the ground? I think I'd really like this finished game, but I'm a little lost as to the details right now.

You take tokens from the ground by applying the 'pick up token' action. You get extra germs by ... erm ... hang on. I missed that bit.

You get one extra germs by spending an action. I ... erm ... missed it out to test your observation. Yes, that's it. It was self evident you had to spend an action, so I missed it out to test whether anyone was paying attention. Right.

Rick-Holzgrafe
Rick-Holzgrafe's picture

Here are my comments on this month's entries. I'll try to keep 'em brief.

#1 Lowly Tale - Points off for the minigames, which didn't seem to actually be games; they were just events. But I liked the characters and their goals, such as MacGuyver making an "Ato... Disint..." out of chewing gum and what looks like a paper clip!

#2 Gambol - Nice theme, I especially liked the "Mommies" mechanism for ending the game. The mini-games were mostly dice-fests, although the betting raised them a notch above some of the other mini-games.

#3 How Much Wood - This one looks like it would be fun to play, and I eventually awarded it my third-place vote. I liked the build-a-board system and the ability to swim freely. The mini-games were a bit lackluster, although they had interesting consequences. I shaved a fraction of a point off since the Great Beaver is not a specific player (although otherwise I liked the GB!)

#4 Hero...Myth...Hail, Toileticus! - There were many things I liked about this game. The blind navigation was very creative, but was also the game's downfall in my voting since I thought that constantly donning and doffing the blindfold would just get annoying; also I suspect that "navigation" in this fashion would not produce enjoyable results. Still, it was great outside-the-box thinking, and I ranked this game fairly high.

#5 Antiquarium - I really wanted to vote for this game, but couldn't quite manage it. The mini-games were too simplistic. But the use of the 3-in-1 die was wonderful! Most games (definitely including my own) failed to do anything very creative with the special dice, but Antiquarium succeeded.

#6 Backwater Planet - I found this game to be a bit baroque, but in most ways I really enjoyed it, and gave it my first-place vote. The Brain Mini-game was one of the best; I liked the special powers of the different aliens, and especially Yuk!

#7 The Ants Go Marching - Some nice ideas here, and a creative theme; but I couldn't get past the conviction that moving all those ants and managing their millinery would detract too much from the actual gameplay. The mini-games, while better than many, still struck me as being mostly dice-fests.

#8 There Was an Old Lady - Very creative, very enjoyable to read! Might be a fun game. But it seemed to ignore too many of the constraints: there's water but no islands, there's at most one identifiable mini-game. I did like the slowly-flooding house and the swallowed-animals mechanism.

#9 Mors Atlantis - Loved the name! Liked the collection of spells and such, and the arrangement of them around the central hexagon. Again the mini-games were better than some, but still basically dice-fests. The random shopping list element was missing. A good-looking game and might well be fun if polished and finished, but not quite enough to garner a vote.

#10 Pack Rats - my own entry. See Hamumu's comments above; I think he was dead on! I was pleased to see Pack Rats garner a few points, but I don't think it was as good as some of the games that scored lower.

#11 Evolution - I wanted to like this game better than I did, and it was a contender for a vote, for a while. I think it could be fun. In the mini-games, I liked being able to degrade the outer die's fixed value in order to gain a re-roll, but as you could only do this once, and only starting from an initial value of 2, it didn't seem as if it would affect the outcome that much.

#12 Save Lake Filth! - Interesting take on the scavenger-hunt notion, as the players don't hunt for the prizes, but instead compete for them. The "islands," while present, have almost nothing to do with the game. Looks good but violates too many of the requirements.

#13 Secret Society - This won my second-place vote, and I had trouble choosing between this and Backwater Planet for first place. But in the end, I couldn't figure out the end-game condition and thus couldn't understand when the Wiki-Tiki Challenge would take place and who would participate. However I did think that the Wiki-Tiki Challenge was the other hot contender for best mini-game, and in the end it won my vote!

#14 Giant Monster Archipelago - Nice, unique use of double-dice. Yogurt, I think your game should have scored much higher than it did -- gorilla eggs, indeed! I think I may have misunderstood the Politics mini-game, and if so, I apologize. It is definitely one of the more creative ones, although as someone else has mentioned, I think the dice might get knocked around a bit. I did subtract a point because I found the rules a little vague. (Yes, I remember that we're submitting descriptions, not rules! Even so, it meant that I couldn't evaluate the game as thoroughly as some of the others.)

#15 Island Scavenge Hunt Game - A nice enough game, but mostly did not stand out from the pack. I liked the creativity of the "Arrr" mini-game, but I worry that after a few plays, everyone will have memorized the good words and phrases and stop being creative: poor replay value.

All in all, a great set of games and I think we should all feel very smug. ;)

Horoku
Hmmm...{eyebrow up}

WOW

While I wasn't expecting to win, and I DID vote for the winner, I was surprised to see that I ranked lower than some of the games that I d/q-ed. Talk about an eye opener. I wonder if I'm just too strict... Anyways, good contest overall, and, at the risk of being ostracized I must admit that I didn't find the rules to the contest as constraining as some have. I actually enjoyed having to "think outside the box" (that sounded SOOO cliche) and work in some concepts that I hadn't really worked with before. A good exercise in game design. Congrats to the winners, looking forward to the next one! (Once a month seems so long!)

Kreitler
Re: Hmmm...{eyebrow up}

Congratulations to the winners -- and to everyone else. I think this was one of the most strict of the GDS contests.

To the brave soul who voted Mors Atlantis #1, I say "Thanks!" I fully expected to get disqualified by everyone.

I took advantage of the long weekend to rewrite the rules (no double dice and simplified combat) and crank out a first prototype. I'm giving it a solo test tonight.

Again, congrats to all! See you next month.

Challengers
November Showdown

Congratulations to the winners! See you next month!

Mitch

Hamumu

Rick-Holzgrafe wrote:

#6 Backwater Planet - I found this game to be a bit baroque, but in most ways I really enjoyed it, and gave it my first-place vote. The Brain Mini-game was one of the best; I liked the special powers of the different aliens, and especially Yuk!

I'm glad somebody appreciated Yuk (and apparently the game, thanks!). I had to do so much chopping that I think a lot of the game is unclear (kinda tough to squeeze in 6 minigames), and Yuk is my favorite bit. Probably my favorite thing I've done in the board game format ever. I have to do something with that, if not with the whole game. And it only came about because I was having trouble coming up with 6 'classic' aliens and associated minigames/powers, but I really wanted to support 6 players.

Rick-Holzgrafe wrote:

#11 Evolution - I wanted to like this game better than I did, and it was a contender for a vote, for a while. I think it could be fun. In the mini-games, I liked being able to degrade the outer die's fixed value in order to gain a re-roll, but as you could only do this once, and only starting from an initial value of 2, it didn't seem as if it would affect the outcome that much.

I thought this at first too (about the starting at 2 being very limiting), but after re-reading and seeing how the evolution worked, it's quite cool. It's starting from 2 initially, but you evolve that to be higher as you play (or evolve other things instead!).

Horoku wrote:

I actually enjoyed having to "think outside the box" (that sounded SOOO cliche) and work in some concepts that I hadn't really worked with before. A good exercise in game design.

Absolutely. Nothing drives creativity like an odd set of rules! Every month is a new and exciting wonderland of misadventures. Keep 'em coming, Bryk!

Xaqery
Xaqery's picture

Matt we appreciate your hard work, thanks. I love the GDS.

Thanks to all that voted for deadly-dead-celebrities.

Congrats to Doho123 and DanogNellows, I voted for both of your games.

I think there were several ideas in this months GDS that were great. I loved doho123s white board game board idea. To me that would win as best mechanic.

Other memories from my reading of them:
I thought the OLD LADY that ate more and more animals story was very creative.

I voted for and liked the dominos spin on the double die used in the "Politics" mini-game.

I loved the tongue and cheek humor of "Got Wood?" er "How Much Wood…" that’s it. This was great: "You'll be dammed before you let them spoil the happiness of your home."

There were more. Nice job to all.

RE: Deadly-Dead-Celebrities
I agree that the end was a bit confusing. What is submitted was an abbreviated version. like always I was way over on words and I cut what I some rules out. I was hoping that people would give the benefit of the doubt that it would be worked out.

To win you have to win at Wiki-Tiki Challenge. If there are no other players ready to play Wiki-Tiki then you play against the Wiki-Tiki tribe leader (represented by the player on your left). If you don’t beat him then you have to wait till next turn and try again. If there is more than 1 player ready then the Leader is not needed.

Also, The Wiki-Tiki Challenge would have a rule that a Die that was completely covered would no-longer be scoreable.

- Dwight

Syndicate content

forum | by Dr. Radut