Skip to Content

100 cards for party game?

7 replies [Last post]
boardgamegeezer

Just wondering if 100 cards was enough for a party game?
I thought maybe 150 might be better.
BGG

Brykovian
Brykovian's picture

I think ... 54 ... ;-)

-Bryk

p.s. What's the game about? How many players? What's the subject/action? etc. ;-D

phpbbadmin
Well

I think 6 would be enough actually.

-Darke

Gamebot
Gamebot's picture

How much content do you have on one card? If it has a lot of "clues" per card, then I think you could get away with a lower number. If you want a replayability factor, then you should have a good enough variety that players dont see the same card over and over again.

How many card do you go though in one game? How long is the game? I would just roughly guess that around 8 sessions (of multiple playings) worth of cards would be good enough.

Aparently Trivial Pursuit has 800 cards in its standard set.

Cranium comes with 600 cards.

boardgamegeezer
Cards

How much content do you have on one card? If it has a lot of "clues" per card, then I think you could get away with a lower number. If you want a replayability factor, then you should have a good enough variety that players dont see the same card over and over again.

How many card do you go though in one game? How long is the game? I would just roughly guess that around 8 sessions (of multiple playings) worth of cards would be good enough.

The content my intelligent Gamebot is single word clues like Taboo and a bit more.

About 30 percent card usage is during a game.

Gamebot
Gamebot's picture

If you can get away with double-sided cards like Taboo, I would suggest taking that approach. In my experience, there's nothing worse in a party game when someone already knew the answer because of the dreaded "we had that one last night" syndrome. The more mileage you can get out of your cards, the better.

Speaking of mileage from party game cards, I like the approach that Why did the Chicken... and Cineplexity take. Multiple cards combine to form one clue so the possibilities are almost limitless. Of course, that takes the pressure off the designer, but it wouldn't work in a lot of games. Just a thought.

boardgamegeezer
Cards

Gamebot

Yes however there is a limit in most party game cards apart from ones like Apples to Apples. Eventually the brain will get to recognise cards when played enough. However I do have a system where the clues are blurted out randomly and the permutations of the clues are pretty huge.

I am quite proud of thinking up the idea actually.

Thinking again I think 100 cards are enough for a first print run.
Can always add card packs.

Input appreciated.
BGG

Anonymous

I would think that the type of game would merit how many cards you would have. I don't think Apples to Apples would do well with only 100 cards. Whereas some might be fine.

Syndicate content

forum | by Dr. Radut