Skip to Content

About.com 2006 competition

13 replies [Last post]
Kreitler

Erik Arneson has posted the rules for this year's About.com/GTO game design contest. This year's theme is "dice games".

You can find a contest summary here.

Good luck, everyone!

K.

(Link edited by Matthew to substitute in a permalink as the contest scrolls off the main page.)

SenorOcho
SenorOcho's picture

Dice as a central element, eh?

Maybe I'll actually enter this time around. But because I'm bored, not because of the dice. :)

Gamebot
Gamebot's picture

This one looks interesting. I am so glad that the requirements say that you must use regular gaming supplies. It will be much easier to prototype. Time to get to work.

slam
slam's picture

Huh. Is my self-published game Knockabout eligible?

markmist

I am actually going to enter this contest. I looked at the rules and it will only require minor adjustments to my game Dice Invaders to meet the requirements. I am going to replace any self-made cards or tokens with chess pieces to represent special powers.

I am not making this strictly a 2-p game, because it is designed for up to 5. I will just have to make sure it works really, really well with 2 if I want any shot of winning.

DSfan

I might try and enter if I come up with anything good enough. I have a couple ideas but I don't know which one I'm going to try and run with.

Is there an age limit set on these contests?

Justin

CDRodeffer

slam wrote:
Huh. Is my self-published game Knockabout eligible?
I see no reason why Knockabout wouldn't be eligible. Heck, I've wanted to try that since I read about it in Abstract Games Magazine several years ago. If you still have them for sale, please let me know off-list.
DSfan wrote:
Is there an age limit set on these contests?
I don't see any mention of an age limit, top or bottom. If you're inspired, I say you should go for it!

Clark

slam
slam's picture

Clark, my games are for sale on my web site, which are linked to in my sig.

markmist

So, who submitted a game for this competition?

Entries were due today at Noon. I got Dice Invaders in, even though I didn't playtest it as much as I wanted to.

Good luck,
Mark

Dralius
Dralius's picture

My entry was entitled Coffee & Tea. It is a race game with players attempting to be the first to open a trade route.

CDRodeffer

My entry was Tricky, a simple trick-taking game. If you're curious, I used the following rule set to communicate with my play test team:

http://www.bgdf.com/files/My_Uploads/CDRodeffer/Tricky.txt

Clark Rodeffer

doho123
doho123's picture

My entry was Cradle, a war/civ game complete with conquest, special powers based on city growth, famines, desertions, and (moderately) simutaneous planning and movement. All under 1,000 words.

My general goal was to try and create something as epic as possible and still keep it under the word limit. Depending on how well it fairs; we'll see if I succeeded.

I'll probably get around to posting it this week for those who might be interested.

Invisible_Jon
Climb On!

I entered Climb On!, a race game (of sorts) with a climbing theme. Your goal is to raise your climbers (dice) as high up a mountain as possible before the game ends. Larger climbers (dice with more sides) are harder to raise up the mountain, but score more points at the end of the game. My favorite mechanic is that you can sacrifice future turns for immediate gain.

Climb On! will be our Game of the Month for April '06. Although it's not due to go live 'till the 15th, you can read it at http://www8.a2hosting.com/~invisibl/play/367/.

slam
slam's picture

I entered Knockabout. I don't actually know whether it's eligible as it's a game I've been making and selling for a few years, and neither do they. If they ultimately rule it ineligible, that'll be fine with me, but it's a dice game that fits their criteria.

Syndicate content

forum | by Dr. Radut