Skip to Content

Awards -- how to find them and how to enter?

9 replies [Last post]
Chad_Ellis
Offline
Joined: 12/31/1969

Hi,

I've recently self-published two games. I've done fairly well getting them reviewed or considered for review by magazines and websites, but I'm having trouble getting all the information I need on award competitions.

Does anyone here know of a good information site I can turn to for research?

Thanks,
Chad

sedjtroll
sedjtroll's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/21/2008
Re: Awards -- how to find them and how to enter?

Chad_Ellis wrote:
Does anyone here know of a good information site I can turn to for research?

On the front page of this website tehre's information about Hippdice, for which entries are due in a couple weeks.

There's also info on and around this site about the Speil De Jars, which I guess is the contest you want to be winning if you are into winning contests.

I think that's as close to you get to a Pro Tour of game design.

- Seth

setarcos
Offline
Joined: 07/31/2008
Awards -- how to find them and how to enter?

Links to some of the other one’s I’ve heard of:

Premio Archimede
http://www.studiogiochi.com/eventi/archimede/eng/albo.html

Concours International de Créateurs de Jeux de Société
http://www.ludotheque.com/Concours/AccueilConcours.htm

Nederlandse Spellenprijs
http://www.spellenprijs.nl/

L’As d’Or
http://www.cannes.fr/semec/semfr/palaisfr/fij2004/index.htm

If you don’t speak Italian, French, or Dutch then try the translation utilities at http://www.babelfish.org to get a vague idea what the rules and procedures are.

Good luck.

setarcos
Offline
Joined: 07/31/2008
Awards -- how to find them and how to enter?

Actually, it would be easiest to just go here:

http://home.swbell.net/cmcedit/awards/

jwarrend
Offline
Joined: 08/03/2008
Awards -- how to find them and how to enter?

Chad,

Since you're already selling your games, "game designer" contests like Hippodice probably aren't of interest to you, and you're probably not eligible for them anyway. You want contests that will move products. Your best bet is probably to try to submit the game to Games magazine as a candidate for their "Games 100" list. Other small publishers have had their games listed, some of whom are members here (slam, yekrats). You might also look at the Mensa or Origins awards, though I'm not sure how one enters those. For Games, I'm pretty sure you just send them a copy of the game.

Good luck!

-Jeff

Trickydicky
Offline
Joined: 12/31/1969
Awards -- how to find them and how to enter?

Quote:
There's also info on and around this site about the Speil De Jars, which I guess is the contest you want to be winning if you are into winning contests.

I'm pretty sure that is "Spiel des Jahres". The German for "Game of the Year". Just thought I'd help anybody trying to do a Google search for any such competition. I'm not sure what Speil de Jars would bring up. If this isn't the award you were talking about please correct me.

Oh. Such a search might only bring up sights in German. So, if you can't read it, sorry. If it is something small, I am fluent in German and might be able to help translate.

Good Luck,

Chad_Ellis
Offline
Joined: 12/31/1969
Awards -- how to find them and how to enter?

jwarrend wrote:
Chad,

Since you're already selling your games, "game designer" contests like Hippodice probably aren't of interest to you, and you're probably not eligible for them anyway. You want contests that will move products. Your best bet is probably to try to submit the game to Games magazine as a candidate for their "Games 100" list. Other small publishers have had their games listed, some of whom are members here (slam, yekrats). You might also look at the Mensa or Origins awards, though I'm not sure how one enters those. For Games, I'm pretty sure you just send them a copy of the game.

Good luck!

Thanks Jeff. Games Magazine already has copies of both of my (published) games for review consideration, and when I get feedback from them I'm going to follow up on entering the Games 100 competition, at least for Succession.

I looked at the Mensa awards and while it would definitely be cool it seems that the type of game they pick is quite different than either of ours. We may still try, but I haven't made up my mind yet.

I don't know how to enter the Origins awards either, but I'm going to ask them! :)

Regards,
Chad

OrlandoPat
Offline
Joined: 10/16/2008
Games Magazine

You don't have to do anything additional to be considered for the Games 100. If Games Magazine has reviewed your games, then they are automatically included for consideration in the Games 100.

RookieDesign
Offline
Joined: 12/31/1969
Awards -- how to find them and how to enter?

Any admin can put the link of Setarcos in the Web Resource location of the site. That way we won't lose them.

Thanks.

Anonymous
Awards -- how to find them and how to enter?

This site will eventually have information about entering a game to Mensa Mind Games:
http://mindgames.us.mensa.org/manufacturer/enter.php

As I recall, you pay something in the $50-$150 range and include 5-6 copies of your game. They don't take computer games, but almost anything else is accepted. Almost any kind of game could win, too, as long as it can be learned and played - or at least grasped - in 30 minutes.
(I've participated in the play-testing but never entered.)

Also, the Out Of The Box website lists the awards their games have won:
http://www.otbgames.com/awards_reviews.html
They don't have links to sites for the awards, but it's a place to start searching.

-- Dean

Syndicate content


forum | by Dr. Radut