Skip to Content

A couple of quick card game questions

24 replies [Last post]
Nestalawe
Nestalawe's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/07/2008

Hey ya'll,

Some of you know I am making this Pirate/Cannibal card game.

I have most of it pretty much designed now, and am about to print out some cards to test with.

First question is, does anyone know how to flip text upside down using Word?!?!?!?! I have all the data for my cards in an Excel spreadsheet and am playing with doing a Mail Merge in Word to layout the cards and get them all nice and pretty. Each card had 3-6 bits of information on it and this seems to be the most efficient way to get the cards designed. Problem is, many of the cards are split into two parts, designed to be read from either the top or bottom. So in my Mail Merge I need to have half the information upside down. Long winded but there you go.

My Second question, for those who play a lot of card games, is whether or not it is cool to pick up 3-4 cards in one draw? It is kinda needed for this game, but it does feel a lot for me to pick up in one go. Especially as players have three seperate decks from which they may draw. Its not so dire, as players draw cards after they have finished their turn, and so they can draw their cards while the next player starts their turn and not need to be involved.

Cheers ya'll, the cannibals are ticking along quite nicely...

Nestalawe'

jkopena
Offline
Joined: 12/31/1969
A couple of quick card game questions

Quote:
My Second question, for those who play a lot of card games, is whether or not it is cool to pick up 3-4 cards in one draw? It is kinda needed for this game, but it does feel a lot for me to pick up in one go. Especially as players have three seperate decks from which they may draw. Its not so dire, as players draw cards after they have finished their turn, and so they can draw their cards while the next player starts their turn and not need to be involved.

I wouldn't start thinking it was a lot of cards to pick up until 6, so I think you're fine with 3--4. It's especially nice if you can work it that people take care of that while other people start doing stuff, and they have their cards to think about during their turn rather than getting a lot at the start and stopping to think.

Nestalawe
Nestalawe's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/07/2008
A couple of quick card game questions

jkopena wrote:
I wouldn't start thinking it was a lot of cards to pick up until 6, so I think you're fine with 3--4.

Hey jk,

Sweet, that is a good start. Aye, I have made it so players draw their cards at the end of their turn, and the number they get will depend on how successful they were during their turn (coercing people to play violent, aaarrrrr...). The player after them is not allowed to attack them, so in effect they have a whole (other player's) turn free to draw cards and sort them out.

I am not a big cardgame player, so have to get testing this to make sure it is quick enough.

Anyone who is keen to print up 150+ cards and help me playtest let me know ;)

larienna
larienna's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/28/2008
A couple of quick card game questions

The card drawing depend much of these factors :

1- How many cards there is in the decks.
Allow you to determine how many turn it will take to deplete the deck.

2-Are they allowed to reshuffle their deck when they run out of cards.
If the players dies by depleting their deck, then you have to make sure they have enough cards for a certain number of turns.

3- How many turn does the game last.
If the average game last 5 turns, then it will require less cards than if it last 20.

4- What is the average number of cards used in a turn.
This allows to determine if the player is going to have an overflow of cards in his hands.

5- If there is deck reshuffling, what is the average number of cards that stay on the table and goes in the discard pile.
Even if you reshuffle your deck, if all played cards stay on the table, then you will eventually run out of cards in your deck.

TrekNoid
Offline
Joined: 10/02/2009
A couple of quick card game questions

Quote:
First question is, does anyone know how to flip text upside down using Word?!?!?!?!

There's not a real 'good' way that I'm aware of... but there are some workarounds that work in certain instances:

http://wordtips.vitalnews.com/Pages/T1263_Upside-Down_Text_with_PostScript.html

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/DrwGrphcs/UpsideDownText.htm

TrekNoid

Anonymous
upside down font

I have an great idea for you.

If you would take a look at your microsoft excel software you can click on the INSERT ICON and then click on PICTURE ICON on the same row. Then click on WORD ART. There you can make any kind of font in any style also in bold or italic. Once you have written your word you can then rotate the entire word upside down,left, right, slant left or slant right, vertical or horizontal. This is a great way to learn to create words for your card game. When you are finished you can paste and copy on to your card set up and then adjust to your liking and click on to your heading or footnote area of the card. Then click once. This will set it for you in place and then save it. If you want to lock the word into place you can goto options and go from there or just SAVE AS. Then you can print as many as you want.

BullDog,
Dismissed !

GeminiWeb
Offline
Joined: 07/31/2008
Re: A couple of quick card game questions

Nestalawe wrote:

My Second question, for those who play a lot of card games, is whether or not it is cool to pick up 3-4 cards in one draw? It is kinda needed for this game, but it does feel a lot for me to pick up in one go. Especially as players have three separate decks from which they may draw.

G'day,

My question is "Does the player have to take all the cards from the same deck?" and, if not. the corollary "Will the player want to change their choice of decks for each card depending on what they have picked up?".

The reason, is that this will add to down-time, depending on how much thought a player will put in.

Quote:
Its not so dire, as players draw cards after they have finished their turn, and so they can draw their cards while the next player starts their turn and not need to be involved.

This can still be a psychological barrier, as players like to wait til the person has finished everything. Of course, it becomes a real barrier as well if the deck draws are influenced by the next person's actions (e.g. #1 if he is doing that, I'll need one of those cards, #2 if cards are used as 'defence' or as 'interupts' or the like).

Best of luck,

- Bill

Anonymous
A couple of quick card game questions

Personal I use powerpoint to design my cards. I use text boxes with lines to draw the cards. Trust me it is easy once you get the initial template. If you have any questions, I can email my template to you.

Nestalawe
Nestalawe's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/07/2008
A couple of quick card game questions

Larienna wrote:
The card drawing depend much of these factors :

1- How many cards there is in the decks.
Allow you to determine how many turn it will take to deplete the deck.

Yeah, I have started to factor in these considerations, and want to playtest to see how it works out. There are three different decks players can draw from (Attack, Defense and Special card decks) each deck 36 cards. Each player, on average, will draw three cards on their turn. If they all drew from the same deck (which is VERY unlikely) a deck will run out after 12 player turns, which, if the game has an average of four players, will mean 3 turns per player. Thats the minimum. Used cards will be placed to the bottom of a discard pile, from which players may draw when one of the three main stacks run out.

Larienna wrote:
2-Are they allowed to reshuffle their deck when they run out of cards.
If the players dies by depleting their deck, then you have to make sure they have enough cards for a certain number of turns.

Players don't have their own decks, so this is not so much of a problem. I will have to see how the discard pile works though...

Larienna wrote:
3- How many turn does the game last.
If the average game last 5 turns, then it will require less cards than if it last 20.

Not sure how long it will last - play continues until someone dies. Minimum would be 4 turns (if a weak player gains a wound each turn)

Larienna wrote:
4- What is the average number of cards used in a turn.
This allows to determine if the player is going to have an overflow of cards in his hands.

Players will usually play two cards a turn, one Attack card and one Defense card. Thus I wanted players to pick up three cards on average, letting them grow their hands and get rid of cards.

Larienna wrote:
5- If there is deck reshuffling, what is the average number of cards that stay on the table and goes in the discard pile.
Even if you reshuffle your deck, if all played cards stay on the table, then you will eventually run out of cards in your deck.

Again, shouldn't be a problem as players use global decks.

Good points though big L. Cheers for the heads up!

Nestalawe
Nestalawe's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/07/2008
A couple of quick card game questions

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/DrwGrphcs/UpsideDownText.htm

Thanks TN! Couldn't get through to the wordtips site, will do some browsing though...

Some useful info from the other site though, but not sure if it will work best for me, i'll try it out!

Nestalawe
Nestalawe's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/07/2008
Re: upside down font

Bulldog wrote:
I have an great idea for you.

If you would take a look at your microsoft excel software you can click on the INSERT ICON and then click on PICTURE ICON on the same row. Then click on WORD ART...

Hey Bulldog,

Hmm, not sure if this will serve me so well, as I would rather not do this individually for each card when I have a couple a' hundred to do. Then if I wanted to change soemthing afterwards I'd have to go through each one...

Cheers though, didn't I hear you had a big monster cardgame underway?

Nestalawe
Nestalawe's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/07/2008
Re: A couple of quick card game questions

GeminiWeb wrote:

My question is "Does the player have to take all the cards from the same deck?" and, if not. the corollary "Will the player want to change their choice of decks for each card depending on what they have picked up?".

The reason, is that this will add to down-time, depending on how much thought a player will put in.

Quote:
Its not so dire, as players draw cards after they have finished their turn, and so they can draw their cards while the next player starts their turn and not need to be involved.

This can still be a psychological barrier, as players like to wait til the person has finished everything. Of course, it becomes a real barrier as well if the deck draws are influenced by the next person's actions (e.g. #1 if he is doing that, I'll need one of those cards, #2 if cards are used as 'defence' or as 'interupts' or the like).

Hey Gemini,

Yeah, usually a player will just go ahead and draw three cards, without being able to look at any until he has chosen three. There will be instances where a player has a Special ability where she may draw two cards of any type she is picking up, then choose which one to keep, which will slow things down.

I agree with the psychological comments, though I will hve to see how it works for this game. I have structured it so that a player A attacks player B, then player B may not attack player A back straight away, so player B must choose someone else to attack. Thus player A will have nothing to do with player B's turn, thus player A picking up cards will have a zero to little affect on how player B performs their turn.

Good comments, cheers...

Nestalawe
Nestalawe's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/07/2008
A couple of quick card game questions

Dragonchill wrote:
Personal I use powerpoint to design my cards. I use text boxes with lines to draw the cards. Trust me it is easy once you get the initial template. If you have any questions, I can email my template to you.

Hey DC!

Is there any way to mail merge into PP? The reason I am using Word is so that I can easily get all the information of my +-200 cards into the format I require, saving me having to type in or copy and paste the info for each card. Its just that Word is such an ugly beast when formatting.

What is your process for getting the info into your cards using PP?

TrekNoid
Offline
Joined: 10/02/2009
A couple of quick card game questions

Nestalawe wrote:

Thanks TN! Couldn't get through to the wordtips site, will do some browsing though...

Some useful info from the other site though, but not sure if it will work best for me, i'll try it out!

Another idea popped into my mind today...

Upside-down fonts!!

http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/ingrimayne/upside-down/
http://www.searchfreefonts.com/font/upsidedown-toc.htm

Granted, you have to make a mental adjustment and likely have to type your text backwards, but it's a solution...

TrekNoid

larienna
larienna's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/28/2008
A couple of quick card game questions

If you know something about computer programming, you can make a software that will generate the cards according to a database you have. Flipping the text is done by drawing in a buffer, rotate the buffer and then draw the result. But the program itself might take time to code.

Nestalawe
Nestalawe's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/07/2008
A couple of quick card game questions

TrekNoid wrote:

Upside-down fonts!!

http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/ingrimayne/upside-down/
http://www.searchfreefonts.com/font/upsidedown-toc.htm

Granted, you have to make a mental adjustment and likely have to type your text backwards, but it's a solution...

Good call! I may do this, as it would definately be the simplest option, as long as I can find *achem* 'free' versions of upside down fonts...

I don't think you would have to type backwards though, should be a fun exercise ;)

Nestalawe
Nestalawe's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/07/2008
A couple of quick card game questions

Larienna wrote:
If you know something about computer programming, you can make a software that will generate the cards according to a database you have. Flipping the text is done by drawing in a buffer, rotate the buffer and then draw the result. But the program itself might take time to code.

Ah I would do such cool things if could program ;)

I have a java programming friend though, so will see if he is keen to make me something funky...

What other ways do people design cards when you have 100+ individual unique cards to create? Surely not one by one?

Anonymous
A couple of quick card game questions

Nestalawe wrote:
What other ways do people design cards when you have 100+ individual unique cards to create? Surely not one by one?

If you have word, you presumably have Access as well. You can create layouts for cards with that and handle the cards in the database. Personally, I use Filemaker which I find a little easier to use, especially for layout.

phpbbadmin
Offline
Joined: 04/23/2013
also

I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this, but the wordart aspect of word allows you to do upside text rather easily, among other things.

Do this:

Insert->Picture->wordart

Choose whichever style of Wordart you like and click OK.

Type in your text and format it how you'd like and hit OK to paste the text.

Right click on the text and choose format wordart.

Go to the layout tab and make sure "In front of text" is selected then click OK.

After that the text will convert to some sort of vector layout. At the top middle of the text is a little 'handle' that you can click and drag to rotate the text. Just rotate the text 180 degrees and you've got upside down text!

Good luck!
-Darke

OutsideLime
Offline
Joined: 12/31/1969
A couple of quick card game questions

Quote:
What other ways do people design cards when you have 100+ individual unique cards to create? Surely not one by one?

I use Adobe Illustrator for my playable-prototype cards. I hsve set up a template in the program that allows me to quickly make changes to create new or altered cards, then print them out onto cardstock. A few whacks with a sharp knife gives me 8 cards per page.

My game does not require shuffling, and there is no secrecy so it doesn't matter if the cards are of slightly varying sizes. So it works, but it ain't pretty. That's OK. Pretty is for later. My design partner is currently developing a card-generating data-entry system that will allow us to type in info, spreadsheet-style, so that it will organize itself into card layout.

For now though, I input each one manually. It's mostly textual information so far. In Illustrator, if you keep your editable text fields properly formatted and ON A SEPARATE LAYER from the permanent stuff, it becomes very quick and manageable. I can lay out a card in about a minute, including several fields of text and numbers, some variable icons, and some adjustable graphics. The time spent early to make the card-editing process smooth is certainly worth it down the road.

~Josh

markmist
Offline
Joined: 12/31/1969
A couple of quick card game questions

I use Fireworks (macromedia) for doing graphics on websites for work, and so I started using it to design cards because it was what I was familiar with (also, it did not require purchase of any other software).

So, while Fireworks would never be someone's first choice for graphic design (it is primarily used in conjuction with Dreamweaver to design web pages), it works fairly well for designing cards.

I can fit 9 cards to a page and I use alot of cut/paste so that I don't have to redo similar graphics over and over again. I line up the borders to almost touch, so that when cutting the cards, it requires less cuts. I also print out backs of cards, by re-running the paper through the printer a 2nd time.

I then cut out the cards using a straight trimmer and round the corners using a corner rounder (courtesy of Creative Memories - who my wife works for). Presto, after many grueling hours of work, I have some nice-looking cards!

Anonymous
Design software

I work in a design studio by day and I can give some advice on software.
If you ever want to print your work with a commerical Printer then you really should use a piece of design software as they are set up for it (they handle postscript properly). Do not try and use word and then send it to a Printer - he won't thank you, word is a great word processor but not suitable for commercial print work - it has no colour control features (like ICC colour profiles) for a start and your quailty will vary horribly.

If word and its ilk is all you have to work with then fair enough. But I would recommend if you are serious about producing a game and doing the "design" work yourself that you invest in at least Adobe's Creative Suite standard for photoshop, illustrator and indesign. I use indesign for page layout, boards and cards as it is the tool for the job. Illustrator is great for vector based work - clean lines and scaleable vector graphics with no loss of quailty and photoshop is still the king of image manipulation. (I also have corel painter 9 which is ace for natural media effects). All these products are scriptable and can be linked in with a database (filemaker for example). Make sure all the artwork you do is atleast 300 dpi (dots per inch) but I recommend 600 dpi if your system will handle it. Of course you should research what format you artwork files need to be before you start any major effort - for example some custom card printers require each card face as a seperate imagine file...

Of course if you are home printing then word may well be good enough - just don't expect a good commercial result if further down the line you send the file to a printers...

WOoDY
Infrequency Studios

larienna
larienna's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/28/2008
A couple of quick card game questions

I like the idea of using access to make a database of cards and use a form to show the card. But I don't see how you could print 9, 12 or more cards on the same 8-1/2x11 sheet from the database. I might check the software to see if it is possible.

Anonymous
A couple of quick card game questions

1. I designed a slide of a large card using several text boxes within a text box. I duplicated the blank slide several times. Make sure your design is complete before you dupe them. I then entered the information one card at a time. I set my printer to scale my slides to index cards either 4 by 6 for question cards or 3 by 5 for playing cards. (500 cards for less than $5. Then I printed the presentation.

2. I designed a slide of a large card using several text boxes within a text box. I group them together in one object. I resize to 2.33 by 3.33 in for TCG size. I then dupe them in a new slide 8 times (2 rows of 4) and space them evenly. I select all and ungroup so I can type into the text boxes.

I hope this helps. Unfortunately, I creat my cards one by one.

TrekNoid
Offline
Joined: 10/02/2009
A couple of quick card game questions

Nestalawe wrote:
Good call! I may do this, as it would definately be the simplest option, as long as I can find *achem* 'free' versions of upside down fonts...

I don't think you would have to type backwards though, should be a fun exercise ;)

I had one last thought on a way to do this easily... Two-pass print run...

Print your rightside-up text first, then re-insert your paper in the printer from the other end, and print the upside down text...

Maybe not the most elegant approach, but hey.. brute force does work when necessary.

TrekNoid

Syndicate content


forum | by Dr. Radut