Skip to Content

December 2005 test session

2 replies [Last post]
Johan
Johan's picture

Hi

This weekend we had our monthly test session. This time it was my own games that where tested (and several other published games). I had a lot of catching up to do after this autumn with only one game on the menu (the Z-man monster game).

Rats in the sewer
A board game where you build 3D (2.5D) sewer and with your rats tries to concur as much as possible. There was a lot of interaction, backstabbing and planning (not so much randomness).
The game was for 3-4 players and took around 1 hour to complete.
This was the first test for the game and it had the best score during this session. The only thing I need to do is changing some components (make the overview of the game a little bit better). It's time to complete the rules.

Donkey road
You follow a path with your donkey and buy and sell gods on the road. The road is build with tiles during the movement and you don’t know what's in front of you.
This game was for 3-5 players and took 1 hour to complete.
First test of the game and the basic of the game where OK. There was a lot of problems and the game become to random. The basic of the game where OK, but I had streamline and removed too much from the game (tried to keep it simple). It become to random and the choices where limited.
Same redesign is necessary and I got several ideas that I want to try.

Holliday war
A card game where you use the mythical Holliday creatures as units (Santa, Easter bunny with his Honey bunnies, and so on). With lies, seduction, stealing and hard battles, you will try to take over the holidays. A lot of non serious fiction as using Santa's elf command team for frontal attacks, hide your units inside a Trojan bonnie and move them into enemy territory or send in your Trick or treat team to make the opponents to give you his objects.
This is a card game for 2-5 players and it took 1.5 hours too complete.
For the forth test and still it don’t work. I have several of problems with run away leader, player downtime and one player that were removed from the game. On top of that, the game was not so funny to play (I feel that it could be but I don’t know where the errors are). This game will probably be put on hold until I get some new ideas for the game.

// Johan

sedjtroll
sedjtroll's picture
Re: December 2005 test session

Hey Johan, sounds like a good test session. What published games did you play?

Johan wrote:
Rats in the sewer
A board game where you build 3D (2.5D) sewer and with your rats tries to concur as much as possible. There was a lot of interaction, backstabbing and planning (not so much randomness).
The game was for 3-4 players and took around 1 hour to complete.
This was the first test for the game and it had the best score during this session.

This sounds promising, when you say it got the best marks of the session, how did your playtesters rate this game against ohers they have playerd? How about against published games?

Quote:
Donkey road
You follow a path with your donkey and buy and sell gods on the road. The road is build with tiles during the movement and you don’t know what's in front of you.
This game was for 3-5 players and took 1 hour to complete.
First test of the game and the basic of the game where OK. There was a lot of problems and the game become to random. The basic of the game where OK, but I had streamline and removed too much from the game (tried to keep it simple). It become to random and the choices where limited.
Same redesign is necessary and I got several ideas that I want to try.

This one doesn't sound too exciting to me. Even if it did work, the description doesn't grab me. Not only is the theme kind of drab, but not knowing what's ahead sounds like the game might be too random or chaotic for me.

It reminds me of Caylus, where players 'travel down the road' using the different buildings that are on the road (or building new ones).

Quote:
Holliday war
A card game where you use the mythical Holliday creatures as units (Santa, Easter bunny with his Honey bunnies, and so on). With lies, seduction, stealing and hard battles, you will try to take over the holidays. A lot of non serious fiction as using Santa's elf command team for frontal attacks, hide your units inside a Trojan bonnie and move them into enemy territory or send in your Trick or treat team to make the opponents to give you his objects.
This is a card game for 2-5 players and it took 1.5 hours too complete.
For the forth test and still it don’t work. I have several of problems with run away leader, player downtime and one player that were removed from the game. On top of that, the game was not so funny to play (I feel that it could be but I don’t know where the errors are). This game will probably be put on hold until I get some new ideas for the game.

This one sounds like it has potential to be one of those silly, fun, steve jackson style games - I can picture it illustrated by Phil Foglio. I don't see it being fun for an hour and a half though. Seems like it's one of those 30-45 minute quick card games (maybe faster) with a novel joke (the holiday theme). I'd probably try to streamline the heck out of it to get the play time down, then add details back to make sure it's interesting.

I'd be interested to know what scope of game it's supposed to be... like a tabletop war game with units on Cards instead of minis? Or something like Munchkin?

- Seth

Johan
Johan's picture
Re: December 2005 test session

sedjtroll wrote:
Hey Johan, sounds like a good test session. What published games did you play?

We did play
- Kablamo (from Gigantoskop).
- The new Dungeon crawler from Fantasy flight. (I can't spell the thing). This game a lot of time.
- A pirate game from Avalon Hill (can't remember the name).

Quote:
Quote:
Rats in the sewer

This sounds promising, when you say it got the best marks of the session, how did your playtesters rate this game against ohers they have playerd? How about against published games?

We uses the BGG system (1-10). All games are rated with the same scale. The only difference is that the components are not so much included in the scope for a prototype. Rats received an average 8.0 and that is good (among the 15 best games this year (we have tested over 110 games)).

Quote:
Quote:
Donkey road

This one doesn't sound too exciting to me. Even if it did work, the description doesn't grab me. Not only is the theme kind of drab, but not knowing what's ahead sounds like the game might be too random or chaotic for me.

I like the basic mechanism. You have control over the road (since you and your opponents are the one that decides it). In the end, I will probably change the theme.

Quote:
Quote:
Holliday war

This one sounds like it has potential to be one of those silly, fun, steve jackson style games - I can picture it illustrated by Phil Foglio. I don't see it being fun for an hour and a half though. Seems like it's one of those 30-45 minute quick card games (maybe faster) with a novel joke (the holiday theme). I'd probably try to streamline the heck out of it to get the play time down, then add details back to make sure it's interesting.

I'd be interested to know what scope of game it's supposed to be... like a tabletop war game with units on Cards instead of minis? Or something like Munchkin?

The game time was one issue. I like this theme (and what you can do with it), but I have tried this both as a card game and as a board game (don’t work). I have to design the complete mechanism ;).
The mechanism are more as a table top card game with units that moves over the table to places.

// Johan

Syndicate content

forum | by Dr. Radut