Skip to Content

PowWow 2005

30 replies [Last post]
phpbbadmin

Folks,

As per this news item, Stephen Glenn's (Snoop) Pow Wow 2005 is coming up in July. It's kind of the eastern version of Protospiel, although on a somewhat cozier scale. Is anyone planning on attending? I think I will try and make it there sometime Thursday afternoon and stay until sometime Saturday. Perhaps those who are planning on attending can sound off and we can share rooms to save on costs.

POWWOW 2005
Charlottesville, Virginia
July 6-10, 2005
(Wed-Sun)

Thanks.
-Darke

sedjtroll
sedjtroll's picture
PowWow 2005

I probably won't be making it to PowWow anytime soon, I just wanted to take this opportunity to mention that I might try to turn my Holiday Gaming Party into something similar- more like a Games Day. I don't think there's really anything like that around here in the Southwest. I know SoCal has a Games Day, and Phoenix has Hexacon in the summer. Except that it's so close to Christmas, I think it'd be a good time for gaming.

- Seth

CDRodeffer
PowWow 2005

Since I can't make it to Protospiel this year due to scheduling difficulties, I really should try to make it to PowWow. I'd love to go. I want to go. It's getting time off from the day job that's tough.

IngredientX
IngredientX's picture
PowWow 2005

I'm in.

phpbbadmin
PowWow 2005

Cool,
So far 2 maybes and 2 definites. What days do you plan on attending Gil; the entire four days? I plan on arriving Thursday afternoon and leaving saturday afternoon.

-Darke

FastLearner
PowWow 2005

I'm a maybe as well. Right now I have a non-work event in April, May, and June, all of which require me to take off multiple days and fly or drive across the country. Why not July, too? :)

-- Matthew

IngredientX
IngredientX's picture
PowWow 2005

I'm actually going to try to make it from Wednesday to Sunday this time. I haven't booked a hotel yet; we'll see.

I might convince my wife to come. She's not a designer, and she doesn't really like learning lots of new rules... so it might be tricky. :)

Torrent
Torrent's picture
PowWow 2005

I expect to be there. Probably the entire time, but I haven't decided yet.

Zzzzz
Zzzzz's picture
PowWow 2005

Hey all,

I am trying to figure out if I can make it to any part of the PowWow, but I would also like to know if anyone is interesting in sharing hotel costs? I am getting married in Sept and money is a little tight right now, but I would really like to make at least part of PowWow and I think sharing a little of the hotel cost with someone might be a big help to me making it this year.

let me know

CDRodeffer
Hotel costs

If I am able to get the time off (which is a big IF), I would be elated to share hotel costs. But keep in mind that I've been told that I snore. Loudly. I was once banished to the bathroom because of it.

Clark

Zzzzz
Zzzzz's picture
Re: Hotel costs

CDRodeffer wrote:
If I am able to get the time off (which is a big IF), I would be elated to share hotel costs. But keep in mind that I've been told that I snore. Loudly. I was once banished to the bathroom because of it.

Clark

lol.... well I have been told the same thing, though I have never been banished as a result of it.

Keep me posted, as you I am still not 100% sure, but I think for me it will come down to money.

Oh and just for info, I think I will only be able to make it for Thursday, Friday and Sat. ( I have some floating holiday hours that I can use for Thursday and Friday), Just in case that is an issue for anyone :)

Brykovian
Brykovian's picture
PowWow 2005

I can see that after the day's playtesting is done, Clark and Zzzzz will play the "see who can fall asleep the fastest as to not be kept awake by the other's infernal snoring" game! :-D

-Bryk

FastLearner
PowWow 2005

I'm looking for roomies all nights.

-- Matthew

Zzzzz
Zzzzz's picture
PowWow 2005

Brykovian wrote:
I can see that after the day's playtesting is done, Clark and Zzzzz will play the "see who can fall asleep the fastest as to not be kept awake by the other's infernal snoring" game! :-D

-Bryk

lol.. I think I might be the loser of that game, you know, the name Zzzzzs refers to not getting enough. And I always have a hard time sleeping :(

Zzzzz
Zzzzz's picture
PowWow 2005

FastLearner wrote:
I'm looking for roomies all nights.

-- Matthew

Well let me check into a few things tonight and I will keep you posted. If I think about $40 a night and $30 reg is not bad. So things are looking brighter!

phpbbadmin
PowWow 2005

Well all three of you guys could get a BAR (Big @$$ room, 2 beds and a sleeper sofa) and share costs that way. That way it wouldn't be so dependent on whether or not it was definite everyone was attending..

-M

FastLearner
PowWow 2005

So... I shouldn't have posted both here and on the PowWow list at the same time. Within 3 minutes of my PowWow post I received an offer from someone for the full time, Wed-Sun, and I accepted.

Sorry for screwing that up.

-- Matthew

Zzzzz
Zzzzz's picture
PowWow 2005

Wow...

I dont doubt that you have such interest, I wish I could have say say right that minute :(

Zzzzz
Zzzzz's picture
PowWow 2005

Clark,

Any more info about getting time off?

Dave

CDRodeffer
PowWow 2005

Zzzzz wrote:
Clark,
Any more info about getting time off?
Unfortunately, no. I'd put my chances at about 40% at this point. Sigh.

Clark

FastLearner
PowWow 2005

Due to an overriding personal issue, I will not be attending PowWow after all (here just a day in advance). So sorry I won't get to meet so many of you, I was really looking forward to it, and to trying out your games.

-- Matthew

Zzzzz
Zzzzz's picture
PowWow 2005

I am in the same boat Matthew, though I knew about it about 1 month ago.

Very sad, and at this rate I will not be meeting anyone from BGDF this year. Unless they are at GenCON-Indy or Hawaii!

Hmmm though I know it would be hard, maybe we need to plan some type of BGDF get together. Maybe hold it at some convention that is located in the center of the US!

--Dave

Scurra
Scurra's picture
PowWow 2005

Zzzzz wrote:
IHmmm though I know it would be hard, maybe we need to plan some type of BGDF get together. Maybe hold it at some convention that is located in the center of the US!

Nah, you all need to come over here to sunny* London - we seem to be the centre of the universe just atm...!

(*for certain definitions of "sunny" that don't include actual sunshine. I can't believe it's really July ;-))

phpbbadmin
PowWow 2005

Zzzzz wrote:
I am in the same boat Matthew, though I knew about it about 1 month ago.

Very sad, and at this rate I will not be meeting anyone from BGDF this year. Unless they are at GenCON-Indy or Hawaii!

Hmmm though I know it would be hard, maybe we need to plan some type of BGDF get together. Maybe hold it at some convention that is located in the center of the US!

--Dave

Yeah one of the things I'd like to do is hold a BGDF Con within a Con. Perhaps at Origins or Gencon. But this would have to be in the very far future...

-Darke

Pt314
PowWow 2005

Scurra wrote:

Nah, you all need to come over here to sunny* London - we seem to be the centre of the universe just atm...!

Congratulations on getting the 2012 Olympics.

phpbbadmin
Pow Wow.

Pow Wow was great. I highly recommend going to it or a similar event like Protospiel if at all possible. Having so many designers (and small press publishers as well) in the same room is invaluable. The feedback is right on target and the suggestions were great. I especially enjoyed playing games from members that I've had to read about for so long. Also just talking to published designers was great as well. They were all very down to earth and humble. It was all very eye opening and definitely an great kick in the pants to get motivated and focused. I'm already making plans to attend next year!

-Darke

P.S. My only regret was that 2&1/2 days was definitely not long enough. It's amazing how quickly the day goes by when playing and discussing game designs. I would have really liked to play Sands of Time and Ingredient's Paranoia game, but I simply ran out of time.

Anonymous
PowWow 2005

Could someone boil PowWow down to just a few cogent bullet points? What it was, who attended, how it went, will there be another, etc? As a new user, I've seen this referenced a few times, but don't have a good feel for what exactly PowWow "is" after skimming/searching for related threads. Thanks!

phpbbadmin
PowWow 2005

ynnen wrote:
Could someone boil PowWow down to just a few cogent bullet points? What it was, who attended, how it went, will there be another, etc? As a new user, I've seen this referenced a few times, but don't have a good feel for what exactly PowWow "is" after skimming/searching for related threads. Thanks!

Pow Wow is a small convention/gathering of game designers that takes place every year in Charlottesville, Virginia. It is an offshoot of Protospiel and is run by Stephen Glenn (Snoop). Most of the entire time is spent with designers playtesting their various prototypes. Usually there are a few small presentations offered as well. This year Alan Moon gave a brief talk about what SAZ is and what it has to offer. Also James Miller gave a presentation on his experience self publishing his game Control Nut. Last year Stephen Glenn gave a workshop on writing rulebooks. This years attendees included about 5 or 6 published designers, at least 2 small press game company representatives, and the rest were future published designers or hobbyist designers. This year there was at least 8 BGDF members whom attended.

Hope that helps!
-Darke

Anonymous
PowWow 2005

Thanks for the great summary -- sounds like an awesome opportunity for game developers, novice or not.

nosissies
PowWow 2005

So who were the 8 BGDF'ers? It was hard to tell without name-tags, and oddly people didn't go by their bgdf id's :-)

peace,
Tom

phpbbadmin
PowWow 2005

nosissies wrote:
So who were the 8 BGDF'ers? It was hard to tell without name-tags, and oddly people didn't go by their bgdf id's :-)

peace,
Tom

Well it was you, me, Jwarrend, IngredientX, Jhager (Jonathan who had the hitchikers game which you may have missed), Octavian (Matt), Snoop (Stephen Glenn), and Mario Lanza (old, old member). There may have been more. I'm sure a lot of those guys have signed up in the past and might not exactly be active members.

-Darke

Syndicate content

forum | by Dr. Radut