Skip to Content

Protospiel 2006 - Anyone signed up yet?

19 replies [Last post]
Verseboy

I've been buried under an avalanche of work these past many months, but I'm finally back to working on some game projects. I'm looking seriously at attending Protospiel. Have any of you signed up yet? Who is planning on going but hasn't registered?

I don't think I can make the first day. Will that put me at any sort of disadvantage in terms of getting my games looked at and just generally getting into the flow of events? I've never done anything like Protospiel, but I feel I have a couple of things ready for that stage, and I have a couple of other things that might be far enough along by then that they'll be worth bringing.

Steve Bennett

Dralius
Dralius's picture

I am signed up, but that’s a given since I am in charge of that aspect of Protospiel. There are other here but i'll let them speak for themselves.

We allow up to three games to be submitted with registration. These three games take precedence over un listed games or one that have already been tested to make sure every one gets a fair chance. That being said there has always been plenty of opportunity for everyone to test his or her games and with extended hours this year there should be plenty of time to test your games at least once if not more.

Although we always focus on play testing we will as usual have speakers and at least one group design activity.

I hope to be hearing for you soon.

David E. Whitcher
Protospiel Organizer

jstahl
with guns blarin'

I'll be there.
with 2 other canadians in tow.
With Ben from Quebec, we may soon outnumber the americans...
whaaa haa haa!!

Dralius
Dralius's picture
Re: with guns blarin'

jstahl wrote:
I'll be there.
with 2 other canadians in tow.
With Ben from Quebec, we may soon outnumber the americans...
whaaa haa haa!!

A Canadian Invasion, I will alert the Whitehouse!

Ben is not on my list yet. I hope everyone who plans on attending will register in advance. It is important for us to know what revenue is coming in to know if expenses are covered.

ensor

I'm all registered (haven't picked my 3 prototypes for the list yet, Dralius, but soon..) and I think Brett from Madison is registered too, we're planning on the whole three day extravaganza.

Steve, you shouldn't be at a disadvantage if you're only there for one or two days, everyone I've met is friendly, and whenever you have at least two designers sitting around not currently playtesting, one of them will bring out a prototype, and since yours won't have been played yet, it will most likely be you who's next on the list.

Good to hear you'll be there, Jeph. Did Beau make much progress on the Sheepdoggin' and Rodeo Clown games from the group design session last year? See ya'll there,

Mark

Verseboy

Thanks for all the information. I'll get myself preregistered. I need to figure out my schedule first.

I was working on a game today, and I realized I might be better off eliminating the board and making it a card game. I tried to bounce it off my son, who designed the board I was working with, and all he could say was, "I don't know. I'd have to play it." He didn't want to be there answering questions from me. So it would be nice to be surrounded by people who do want to answer questions.

Steve Bennett

Brykovian
Brykovian's picture

Sadly, I will have to miss another year, after being convinced a couple months ago that it was all a go. :-(

I've already made too many business and personal trips this year ...

However, I do look forward to hearing how the weekend goes and what the designers' experiences were.

-Bryk

CDRodeffer

I'm signed up and plan to attend, although recent events (new baby, running the games at Penguicon and tons of work) have kept me from working on either of the games I plan to bring for testing. I still do hope to get a prototype put together for at least one of them (parts are on the way and my wife is working on the artwork). But if they're not done, I might bring my (somewhat revamped) prototype from a few years ago for a re-test.

Clark

CDRodeffer

Brykovian wrote:
Sadly, I will have to miss another year, after being convinced a couple months ago that it was all a go. :-(
Aw, man! Say it ain't so!

Clark

Dralius
Dralius's picture

CDRodeffer wrote:
Brykovian wrote:

Clark

Matt

That's too bad you can't make it, we shall meet someday I hope and don’t think you are getting out of any work, I am still going to hit you up for play testing (Evil Grin).

Congratulations on getting Darebase published!!! That will make my original version a collector’s item.

Brykovian
Brykovian's picture

CDRodeffer wrote:

I sure wish I could ... but, unfortunately, 'taint gonna happen. Looking back over the last couple of years, I find myself being the sad little puppy saying "Yeah! Yeah! I'm gonna go! I'm gonna go!" only to say "Nope -- don't think I can," as the time approaches. So I have to once again say the vow that is *very* familiar to Green Bay Packer fans: "Next year!" ;-)

Dralius wrote:
That's too bad you can't make it, we shall meet someday I hope and don’t think you are getting out of any work, I am still going to hit you up for play testing (Evil Grin).

I'll be more than happy to help anyone who is planning on attending by reading through rules or talking over design issues or playtesting ... just drop me a line.

Dralius wrote:
Congratulations on getting Darebase published!!! That will make my original version a collector’s item.

Thanks ... all thanks on that effort goes to Johan. I can't wait to see Gottick take off! :-)

-Bryk

markmist

Well, I won't be there - but that was expected. Since I live over a 1,000 miles away down in Florida (it's about a 21 hr drive) - the only way I would attend is if I am visiting my wife's family in Michigan the same week of Protospiel.

It happened once and it might happen next year as we are planning a summer trip up there in 07. Maybe the stars will align again and it will be on the same week :)

Have fun guys... when its over - I want to see some reports!!!

Verseboy

As a baseball fan and ballpark aficianado, I was wondering if anyone is thinking about going to Comerica Park to see the Tigers and Royals? Or have I committed a major faux paus by suggesting something other than playing games of our own creation?

Steve Bennett

OutsideLime

This "base-ball" sounds intriguing. You could make a board game about it. Players have different bases, and they shoot cannonballs from them at each other. Verseboy, you've done it again!

~Josh

Hedge-o-Matic
Hedge-o-Matic's picture

Since I'm now back in the Midwest (yay Cleveland!), I plan on attending this year. I've got lots of friends in Ann Arbor, but haven't been there in years. I'll have to think about games to bring, though. Any suggestions? Abstracts are my love, at the moment, but what sort of reception do they tend to get?

Also, are SF empire-builders in-vogue enough to get all prettied up?

Nestalawe
Nestalawe's picture

Hedge-o-Matic wrote:

Also, are SF empire-builders in-vogue enough to get all prettied up?

Bring em on!!!

(in a web-viewable vitrual format so those of us who are not in The USA can check em' out...)

CDRodeffer

Hedge-o-Matic wrote:
I've got lots of friends in Ann Arbor, but haven't been there in years. [...] Any suggestions? Abstracts are my love, at the moment, but what sort of reception do they tend to get?
Dralius and I both live here in Ann Arbor, and we both play abstracts. We also have a couple of other friends in the area who strongly favor abstracts, so players should be available. Since I live (literally) within walking distance of the Protospiel hotel, I'd be happy to offer games from my library for play (CDRodeffer on the BGG). But since this is Protospiel, I'm sure most people will want to concentrate on play testing prototypes rather than playing published games.

Clark

IngredientX
IngredientX's picture

My plans just changed, and I'll be at Protospiel this year!

Verseboy wrote:
As a baseball fan and ballpark aficianado, I was wondering if anyone is thinking about going to Comerica Park to see the Tigers and Royals? Or have I committed a major faux paus by suggesting something other than playing games of our own creation?

Steve Bennett

I'd be in for this! Maybe I'll even have my baseball empire-building game ready for playtesting by Protospiel...

Verseboy

IngredientX wrote:
My plans just changed, and I'll be at Protospiel this year!

Maybe I'll even have my baseball empire-building game ready for playtesting by Protospiel...
If you have it ready, I want to play it. I won't be there until late the first day, so make sure you plan to break it out on the second or third day.

Let's plan on going to Comerica. That would be great.

Steve Bennett

IngredientX
IngredientX's picture

Verseboy wrote:
If you have it ready, I want to play it. I won't be there until late the first day, so make sure you plan to break it out on the second or third day.

Let's plan on going to Comerica. That would be great.

Steve Bennett

Oh, it's not even close. I still have a couple of months, though. :)

Syndicate content

forum | by Dr. Radut