Skip to Content

board game and book tie-in

6 replies [Last post]
Anonymous

I have a brilliant card game that is a tie-in for my second book. The game will open a flood gate for a fresh idea. Unfortunately, i'm still looking for a publisher for the book. It's selling fantastically (the book) off my website, but I know nothing about the distribution of games.

I'm wondering what kind of deals I should expect from card game manufacturers or the like. Is it a standard deal like book publishing, where they give you an upfront price, then perhaps a small percentage of games sold? thanks for the help

Anonymous
Re: board game and book tie-in

mattlehman wrote:
I have a brilliant card game that is a tie-in for my second book. The game will open a flood gate for a fresh idea. Unfortunately, i'm still looking for a publisher for the book. It's selling fantastically (the book) off my website, but I know nothing about the distribution of games.

I'm wondering what kind of deals I should expect from card game manufacturers or the like. Is it a standard deal like book publishing, where they give you an upfront price, then perhaps a small percentage of games sold? thanks for the help

Um... this is a bit off the subject.. But I was wondering what you're website name is... I love to read but I wasn't able to find your website in your bio... (and I may be a new customer... ) ...

As for the game deall.. I couldn't tell you, I self publish so I consider selling a game great... (it's more of a hobby for me..).. but I get the impression that it's not much different, just less of a precentage I'd think...

Satori

Anonymous
www.clamchowder.biz

the website is http://www.clamchowder.biz. There is nothing about the game on the site, because I'm still trying to find a printer and iron out some last minute details.

Thanks for asking and looking.

phpbbadmin
Offline
Joined: 04/23/2013
Re: www.clamchowder.biz

mattlehman wrote:
the website is http://www.clamchowder.biz. There is nothing about the game on the site, because I'm still trying to find a printer and iron out some last minute details.

Thanks for asking and looking.

I'm curious, do you have an actual game created (and by this I mean a working physical prototype) for this book tie in, or is it still in the idea stages?

-Michael

Anonymous
board game and book tie-in

I have a working prototype. It's rough, done with my computer and printer on perforated business cards. We just decided the cards need to be bigger and are taking out a few of the cards and added some different ideas.

The book came first, then I wanted to do a board game and other merchandise, so we started working on a board game. We (my friend and collaborator) couldn't come up with a game idea that we thought was so overwhelmingly great that it had to be made....then we came up with the card game and decided it must be made. I'm not one who usually toots his own horn, but this game is brilliant as a novelty or actual playability. Plus it can be sold in more places than a normal board game. i.e urban outfitters, book stores, etc.

phpbbadmin
Offline
Joined: 04/23/2013
OK

mattlehman wrote:
I have a working prototype. It's rough, done with my computer and printer on perforated business cards. We just decided the cards need to be bigger and are taking out a few of the cards and added some different ideas.

The book came first, then I wanted to do a board game and other merchandise, so we started working on a board game. We (my friend and collaborator) couldn't come up with a game idea that we thought was so overwhelmingly great that it had to be made....then we came up with the card game and decided it must be made. I'm not one who usually toots his own horn, but this game is brilliant as a novelty or actual playability. Plus it can be sold in more places than a normal board game. i.e urban outfitters, book stores, etc.

Just making sure. A lot of people pop up on here with 'ideas' and nothing more, hoping to get published. It sounds like you are pretty well grounded in practicality. Just curious, what's the premise behind your game? I assume it's some sort of game where you fill customers' orders?

I had a similar game, but instead of players being waiters, they were short order cooks. It never really got off the drawing board though.

-Michael

Anonymous
board game and book tie-in

I'm not really sure of the ins and outs of copyrighting on board games and I'm not sure how soon before I get this off the ground. There is a lot of legwork to do, so I don't really feel comfortable discussing it on this forum. Sorry if I offend anyone. Plus I live on the opposite coast of my partner, so that adds to the time.

I'm not really looking for the idea to be bought outright from me. I know I will eventually make more selling it myself, then a standard deal. sure it will take time, but it turns out I have a lot of time.

I will tell you that I have an isbn for it....I bought a block when I published my first two books, so I have a few leftover.

It sounds like "Clam Chowder" is not like your idea. Hit me an email and I'll tell you about it. What's your background?

matt@clamchowder.biz

Syndicate content


forum | by Dr. Radut