Skip to Content

Cheap blank cards for playtesting

10 replies [Last post]
Anonymous

I need blank cards for testing, preferably very cheap ones... what are my options?

Oracle
Offline
Joined: 06/22/2010
Cheap blank cards for playtesting

You can try the protoparts link on the left for the BGDF store. They sell some very nice standard sized (2.5x3.5") cards with rounded corners on 6-up inkjet printable sheets. It's $9 for 150 cards.

If you want cheaper, you can use printable business cards. They're available in any office supply store, and they're 2x3.5".

Jason

prophx
Offline
Joined: 08/13/2008
Cheap blank cards for playtesting

If they are just for testing, I prefer to print on thicker cardstock and then round the corners with a punch I picked up for $6.50 at a local arts and crafts store. It is amazing how much more eager the playtesters are if the cards shuffle and handle well. By printing on cardstock your costs are very low and if you need to scrap that version you haven't lost much.

rob

Chad_Ellis
Offline
Joined: 12/31/1969
Cheap cards

I usually use Magic cards in sleeves with paper inserts. This gives you a great feel (and the sleeves extend the mock-up's lifespan considerably). Even if you don't play Magic you can usually pick up as many commons as you need after any sealed deck or draft tournament.

Chad

Anonymous
Cheap blank cards for playtesting

Definitely paper inserts in card sleeves is the way to go (whether or not you put in a playing card to stiffen the sleeve). I have done a game with more than 150 cards and more than a dozen iterations. Changes are fast and easy when you use paper (and MUCH cheaper than cardstock). The sleeves help give them a more professional feel (much better than using plain cardstock without the sleeves).

phpbbadmin
Offline
Joined: 04/23/2013
Cheap blank cards for playtesting

SiskNY wrote:
Definitely paper inserts in card sleeves is the way to go (whether or not you put in a playing card to stiffen the sleeve). I have done a game with more than 150 cards and more than a dozen iterations. Changes are fast and easy when you use paper (and MUCH cheaper than cardstock). The sleeves help give them a more professional feel (much better than using plain cardstock without the sleeves).

That reminds me, I went to my local gaming store to get the stiff clear sleeves that I used to use with my Magic The Gathering cards back in the day, and I can't seem to find them. Do they still exist? I was forced to buy the 'normal' clear plastic sleeves last time I went, but I'd rather use the stiff ones. I know they are more expensive, but I think you get a better feel with the stiff sleeves. Plus you don't need to add any 'stiffening' material such as card stock or a 'real' playing card as the stiffness is in the sleeve itself. Does any have a source for these stiff sleeves?

-Darke

Anonymous
Cheap blank cards for playtesting

Thanks everyone, I haven't decided yet but all your ideas look good in their own way!

sedjtroll
sedjtroll's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/21/2008
Cheap blank cards for playtesting

Darkehorse wrote:

That reminds me, I went to my local gaming store to get the stiff clear sleeves that I used to use with my Magic The Gathering cards back in the day, and I can't seem to find them. Do they still exist? I was forced to buy the 'normal' clear plastic sleeves last time I went, but I'd rather use the stiff ones. I know they are more expensive, but I think you get a better feel with the stiff sleeves. Plus you don't need to add any 'stiffening' material such as card stock or a 'real' playing card as the stiffness is in the sleeve itself. Does any have a source for these stiff sleeves?

I hope you mean the Ultra pro sleeves that are very commonly used nowadays for CCGs, as opposed to the stiffer sleeves which are usually used to protect sports or ccg cards long-term or in the mail. The former should be readily available at any game store, especially those that deal with Magic. The latter doesn't really shuffle at all and stacks of them get unreasonably thick.

As for backing with a magic or playing card- I recommend it. The Ultra Pro sleeves aren't really all that stiff on their own, and Magic cards are literally a dime a dozen- probably cheaper.

- Seth

Anonymous
Cheap blank cards for playtesting

I am printing 9 cards (3.5X2.5) on one page - what's the best way to cut them so they are exactly the same size?

thanks.

phpbbadmin
Offline
Joined: 04/23/2013
Cheap blank cards for playtesting

av47 wrote:
I am printing 9 cards (3.5X2.5) on one page - what's the best way to cut them so they are exactly the same size?

thanks.

Using a rotary trimmer would probably be your best bet. Fiskars make a good one and it's available at most craft stores. The easiest method however would be to print them out on the perforated cards available from protoparts. The protoparts cards are only 6 to a page but if you can look beyond that then it would probably be a good solution for you.

-Darke

Anonymous
Cheap blank cards for playtesting

thanks Darkehorse.

Syndicate content


forum | by Dr. Radut