Skip to Content

Easy gameboards 101 - Is Contact Clear an option?

8 replies [Last post]
GeminiWeb

Hi all,

I think its finally time to think about creating a 'nice' gameboard for 'High Council of Evensford' (on GDW a few weeks ago), rather than the roughly hand drawn (with a felt marker) board I currently have.

However, my own handyman/art skills are somewhat undeveloped (just ask my wife!) ...

I've finished a colour version of the pdf board I put up on GDW (but have never actually used) which consists of 6 A4 sheets.

My idea is to find either 6 A4 bases or possibly one big base and use 'Contact' to stick the paper board to the base. (Contact Clear is the stuff you put on exercise books and the like to protect them ... in case the name is different outside of Oz)

My questions are:

- what sort of base would be good (and cheap ... which doesn't involve hunting for all boards and using them)?

- am I kidding myself with my lazy efforts using Contact or should I be rereading the threads on glueing onto gameboards and Krylon sprays and the like?

- GeminiWeb

Oracle
Re: Easy gameboards 101 - Is Contact Clear an option?

GeminiWeb wrote:
My idea is to find either 6 A4 bases or possibly one big base and use 'Contact' to stick the paper board to the base. (Contact Clear is the stuff you put on exercise books and the like to protect them ... in case the name is different outside of Oz)

It's called contact paper around here, but contact clear sounds like a better name nice it is certainly not paper :)

I don't understand how the contact clear will hold the pages down the way you are describing. If you stick it on top of the paper, what is there to hold it down to the board? Do you mean to leave a border of contact clear around the board? If you do, then each board segment will have a border so they won't butt up against each other.

Also, the contact paper I'm familiar with isn't strong enough to hold down a sheet with a narrow border, so we'd be talking about a very wide border.

GeminiWeb wrote:
- what sort of base would be good (and cheap ... which doesn't involve hunting for all boards and using them)?

- am I kidding myself with my lazy efforts using Contact or should I be rereading the threads on glueing onto gameboards and Krylon sprays and the like?

Try matte board or illustrator board (slightly thicker than matte board). You can get it at any art store; the prices range from ~$2 for a 15x20" piece to ~$10 for a 36x48 piece.

It doesn't seem like using contact clear would be much easier unless I'm really missing something here.

Jason

- GeminiWeb

doho123
doho123's picture

I noticed recently that the local Hobby Lobby has large sheet of foamcore with one side being a "peel away sticky side."
I even made some nice cardboard counters out of the stuff.
This is perfect for boards. And if you want to fully protect your printer output, clear contact sheets work great on top.

GeminiWeb

Thanks for the quick comments already!

Oracle wrote:

Quote:
I don't understand how the contact clear will hold the pages down the way you are describing. If you stick it on top of the paper, what is there to hold it down to the board? Do you mean to leave a border of contact clear around the board? If you do, then each board segment will have a border so they won't butt up against each other.

Sorry - I wasn't clear. The contact would wrap down the sides of the (narrowish) base and stick to the underside of the base.

[Aside - I have found this useful for protecting paper maps when rogaining ... kind of like orienteering except you get points for different check points and you work to a fixed time period ... often 12 or 24 hours]

Zzzzz
Zzzzz's picture

Another option you might want to look into would be Static Cling or Ultra Cling clear papers. You know the stuff they use for Window Clings(decals).

If you go to the following link

http://www.valueshop.co.uk/paper.asp

look on the page for Static Cling Film (says they have A4 size paper)

or go to

http://www.papilio.com/inkjet%20ultra%20cling%20transparent%20adhesive%20media.html (8.5x11, does not seem to have A4 listed)

All you would have to do is print off your boards on the static cling paper and they should stick to almost any smooth surface.

Just another option for you to consider, might be easier option compared to the clear contact.

Brykovian
Brykovian's picture

For my Castle Danger boards, I print onto full sheet label paper, which I stick down onto illustration board (I find the board in 30-inch by 20-inch sheets at an Office Max for $3). Then I cover it with a clear contact sheet and use a rotatory trimmer (pizza-cutter style ... not the cutting board with attacked sliding trimmer) to cut everything to size.

I haven't tried using normal paper and using the clear contact to wrap-around ... I think that might be tough, since the clear plastic sheets (at least the ones I'm using) don't have a lot of bend to them.

-Bryk

sedjtroll
sedjtroll's picture

Fastlearner just posted in another thread about using this newish glu-stick stuff that's like post-it note adhsive (removable).

So far all I've done is get some foam core (but this matte stuff sounds like a better idea) and spray mount adhesive.

If you have A4 sheets, and if you're planning on doing this a lot, you could pick up a Xyron cold laminator (also recommended to me by Fastlearner) and an adhesive cartridge. I think the adhesive come with it actually. What it does is make the whole paper into a sticker. i thknk that would be easiest for you, if you are interested in getting the laminator (like $80 invesment probably)

- Seth

FastLearner

I must agree that the full-sheet adhesive stuff for the Xyron absolutely kicks ass -- the glue is applied perfectly evenly and it sticks really well.

It's also pretty pricey, though, and is a bit too much for more than the occasional item for my budget. Still, it rocketh muchly.

-- Matthew

Oracle

3M makes a restickable gluestick. I think it's like the adhesive in a post it note. It would be good to give you all the tries you want for positioning the gameboard, and then it would hold it in place well enough for you to apply the contact clear over it.

Jason

Syndicate content

forum | by Dr. Radut