Skip to Content

Prototypes and Heroscape

12 replies [Last post]
GamesOnTheBrain
GamesOnTheBrain's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/24/2008

I was fortunate enough to find a copy of Heroscape at our local Walmart last night (though the game is not supposed to be out until September). For $40, you get:

If you design games with minis, the terrain alone is worth the $40. (The hexes are 1 1/2" edge to edge.) Add on 30 high-quality plastic minis, 10 attack dice (have 3 skulls and 3 blank sides), 10 defense dice (have 2 shields and 4 blanks sides) -- similar to Heroquest, though not quite the same -- and this game is a steal for prototyping alone.

But that's not all....

This game is actually a ton of fun!

On the BoardGameGeek page, it appears that a LOT of people are buying multiple sets because you just get so much for the money.

While I only have one set right now, I expect to be getting some more soon.

Enjoy!

OldScratch
Offline
Joined: 12/31/1969
Prototypes and Heroscape

Actually I think it's out pretty much everywhere. Tons of people are buying it already. Though some of the figures are not great, they're still pretty cool, and the terrain is definitely awesome.

Also, the dice, if they only have 2 different results (hit or miss), then they won't work for HeroQuest, since HeroQuest has 3 different results.

Zzzzz
Zzzzz's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/20/2008
Prototypes and Heroscape

The game was released at GenCON and they were selling so quick, that WOTC has to have additional product shipped each day of the CON.

I did not look into it, but it was a hot item.

OldScratch
Offline
Joined: 12/31/1969
Prototypes and Heroscape

I thought HeroScape was Hasbro.

Oracle
Offline
Joined: 06/22/2010
Prototypes and Heroscape

OldScratch wrote:
I thought HeroScape was Hasbro.

Hasbro owns WotC. They bought them a couple of years ago. Based on what they've been doing (closing the WotC and Gamekeeper stores, and only developing for the mass market) it's pretty clear that Hasbro's goal is to keep people mostly buying more copies of monopoly, trivial pursit, and scrabble.

Jason

OldScratch
Offline
Joined: 12/31/1969
Prototypes and Heroscape

Ah gotcha. I thought they were still competing or something.

jwarrend
Offline
Joined: 08/03/2008
Prototypes and Heroscape

Oracle wrote:

Hasbro owns WotC. They bought them a couple of years ago. Based on what they've been doing (closing the WotC and Gamekeeper stores, and only developing for the mass market) it's pretty clear that Hasbro's goal is to keep people mostly buying more copies of monopoly, trivial pursit, and scrabble.

I'm by no means a cheerleader for Hasbro, but I don't think your characterization is entirely fair. Hasbro, via its Avalon Hill brand, has given lots of great, "gussied up" versions of our favorite games to the gaming world -- Diplomacy, Acquire, Cosmic Encounter, History of the World. And, they've developed some new games that are truly first-class; Star Wars Epic Duels was great, I've heard good things about the new Risk games and Battle Cry, and the upcoming "Betrayal at House on the Hill" looks fantastic.

I think the problem really is more on the consumer end; what incentivizes Hasbro to expend effort in these "more interesting" games, if they're going to sit on store shelves while Monopoly and Scrabble fly off the shelves? My textbook example on this is Knizia's Lord of the Rings, which has breathtaking production quality, and came out in the mass market stores(Target had copies), at a decent price ($30), at the time of a major-movie tie-in. The result? I don't think the game stayed on the shelves at Target for more than a month or two. If people won't buy a game with so many things going for it, then clearly, the market is just not ready yet for the "better" games. You can't blame Hasbro for that, entirely; by releasing the games I mentioned above, and others, you have to admit that they're at least trying to get "better" (or at least "different") games out there.

-Jeff

Anonymous
Prototypes and Heroscape

For those working on WWII or other combat games, Attack! is available for around $20 (just saw it for $19 at Toys R Us last night) with tanks, infantry, planes and artillery in small and large in multiple colors!

Zzzzz
Zzzzz's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/20/2008
Prototypes and Heroscape

Hmmmm is it me or is it odd that the soldiers are bigger than the tanks and planes?

;)

Cool find...

Anonymous
Prototypes and Heroscape

Heroscape is aweome. I have to give Hasbro a round of applause. The game appears to be influenced by d20 (at least a bit), and warhammer. But it really isn't that complicated.

My objection is the packaging... Aside from the front cover art (not a huge fan) the box doesn't really do a good job holding the stuff you remove from it to play the game.

Overall, it's a good buy in my opinion.

Zzzzz
Zzzzz's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/20/2008
Prototypes and Heroscape

I agree that Hasbro did an ok job on Heroscape, and you cant beat the price for an intro game into miniatures!

Anonymous
Prototypes and Heroscape

SimonWaltr wrote:
My objection is the packaging... Aside from the front cover art (not a huge fan) the box doesn't really do a good job holding the stuff you remove from it to play the game.

I just read about a game (Betrayal at the House on the Hill?) that included cardboard inserts to hold the counters and that the inserts had to be assembled by the game buyer. Games like that should just skip the insert (unless it's designed really well) and include zip-lock baggies to hold everything.

Anonymous
Prototypes and Heroscape

SiskNY wrote:
SimonWaltr wrote:
My objection is the packaging... Aside from the front cover art (not a huge fan) the box doesn't really do a good job holding the stuff you remove from it to play the game.

I just read about a game (Betrayal at the House on the Hill?) that included cardboard inserts to hold the counters and that the inserts had to be assembled by the game buyer. Games like that should just skip the insert (unless it's designed really well) and include zip-lock baggies to hold everything.

The problem with using that method on Heroscape is that there are SO many pieces. The box would have needed to be even bigger (it's already on the larger side). Now I guess I shouldn't be comlpaining... they are nice peices...

Syndicate content


forum | by Dr. Radut