Skip to Content

Idea for a dice mechanic.

12 replies [Last post]
Tataku999
Offline
Joined: 10/20/2015

Hey random thought just now:

I was just thinking about dice and thought about how the game ashes works with their dice resource.

what about the idea of a dice rubics cube as a dice? before you roll you set what you want so you can kind of adjust the probability of what you need that turn.

let me know. could be interesting.

radioactivemouse
radioactivemouse's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/08/2013
Maybe?

Tataku999 wrote:
Hey random thought just now:

I was just thinking about dice and thought about how the game ashes works with their dice resource.

what about the idea of a dice rubics cube as a dice? before you roll you set what you want so you can kind of adjust the probability of what you need that turn.

let me know. could be interesting.

The thought of having a rubix cube as a modular die does sound intriguing. The only real concern is two-fold.

1) You'd have to do some extensive testing for most, if not all, potential combinations and rolls. That would be a nightmare.

2) Cost of the cube will probably be the bulk of the game's cost, which will set the game in the "gimmicky" category.

To cut costs and testing possibilities, I'd try using a 2x2x2 cube instead of the traditional 3x3x3. Also, getting copyrights might be an issue, but not really sure.

Tataku999
Offline
Joined: 10/20/2015
yeah 2x2x2 would be better so

yeah 2x2x2 would be better so people who dont want to do math can still play. i see the cost issue. and copyright eould suck, unless you actually have the company make the rubics cubes?

but i guess if you want more variety you have have 2 or 3 2x2x2.

radioactivemouse
radioactivemouse's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/08/2013
lol

Tataku999 wrote:
yeah 2x2x2 would be better so people who dont want to do math can still play. i see the cost issue. and copyright eould suck, unless you actually have the company make the rubics cubes?

but i guess if you want more variety you have have 2 or 3 2x2x2.

Ha yea, but again costs.

To really minimize cost and maximize usability, I'd use 1 2x2x2 cube and use it as the central focus of the game.

Tataku999
Offline
Joined: 10/20/2015
just out of curiosity how

just out of curiosity how would you implement something like this in a game and what type of game would it be?

radioactivemouse
radioactivemouse's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/08/2013
Cube

Tataku999 wrote:
just out of curiosity how would you implement something like this in a game and what type of game would it be?

Have it be a game like 1 v all a la Imperial Assault, Mansion of Madness, etc. Have everyone turn the cube 1 time per turn...the cube being an artifact of power that has no bias towards anyone (hence the roll aspect). Like you said, have it give 4 different (if using a 2x2x2) resources per turn, depending on whose turn it is.

Tataku999
Offline
Joined: 10/20/2015
Oooo! i like the idea of

Oooo! i like the idea of turning it once per turn. actually though if its each turn that person turns it once. having a bigger cube would be better so the end game would get super complicated/in depth.

as in turn one you roll and one person has a very high chance of getting alot of something. then as it goes everyone has a chance of getting a very small ammount of something. or if its in terms of each "color" is damage you have a higher chance of hitting but it would be lower damage. Im just thinking of ways implementation would work.

and then you have that one guy who tries to turn it back lol

Tedthebug
Tedthebug's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/17/2016
Part random sabotage

What if everyone turned it up to 180° in order around the table for 2 goes (I.e.they can elect to turn it 90° & wait for everyone else to rotate it before turning it another 90° or just elect to turn it 180° & not have their next restart chance to rotate it) before the game started just to set the randomness, then decide who goes first just. It would help randomise the start so each game is a lot more different & maybe it a bit fairer.

Then, once the game play starts, At the end of a persons turn they get to rotate up to 360° worth, so it could be turn a face 90°, change the way you hold it & turn a face 180° etc so that the person is trying to increase the odds of the next player getting a 'bad' roll? It might help make the players think they are having some sort of influence on their opponents game.

If you went ahead I'd work with a prototyper at a maker fair or something to see if you can also come up with a 'dice' that has removable sector faces so that it is easy to reset the dice at the start of each game.

To simulate the effect of random resource drops or whatever you decide it would be similar to rolling a handful of coloured dice where each dice represents a different resource & the first 4 #1's rolled are the resources you get but this would be a lot quicker to determine as well as giving that illusion of everyone at the table having an influence on what the person actually gets.

This sounds like a eally interesting concept, please keep us informed about whether you decide to proceed with it.

radioactivemouse
radioactivemouse's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/08/2013
Most likely be...

Tedthebug wrote:
What if everyone turned it up to 180° in order around the table for 2 goes (I.e.they can elect to turn it 90° & wait for everyone else to rotate it before turning it another 90° or just elect to turn it 180° & not have their next restart chance to rotate it) before the game started just to set the randomness, then decide who goes first just. It would help randomise the start so each game is a lot more different & maybe it a bit fairer.

Then, once the game play starts, At the end of a persons turn they get to rotate up to 360° worth, so it could be turn a face 90°, change the way you hold it & turn a face 180° etc so that the person is trying to increase the odds of the next player getting a 'bad' roll? It might help make the players think they are having some sort of influence on their opponents game.

If you went ahead I'd work with a prototyper at a maker fair or something to see if you can also come up with a 'dice' that has removable sector faces so that it is easy to reset the dice at the start of each game.

To simulate the effect of random resource drops or whatever you decide it would be similar to rolling a handful of coloured dice where each dice represents a different resource & the first 4 #1's rolled are the resources you get but this would be a lot quicker to determine as well as giving that illusion of everyone at the table having an influence on what the person actually gets.

This sounds like a eally interesting concept, please keep us informed about whether you decide to proceed with it.

It will most likely be a hobbyist game instead of something produced...the hook is strong enough to be Kickstarted, but production cost on the cube alone would be high, not to mention knowing a puzzle game being used as an actual die has its own durability issues.

Tataku999
Offline
Joined: 10/20/2015
I see what you mean interms

I see what you mean interms of cost. on the other had a quick google search you can buy rubix cube for $3-$6? so yeah if we can figure out costs then it might work.

second: i dont have a game idea. who wants to start a project to design something with me??? :)

Tataku999
Offline
Joined: 10/20/2015
if you want I can throw up a

if you want I can throw up a forum post in new game ideas and we can put up ideas.

radioactivemouse
radioactivemouse's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/08/2013
durability

Tataku999 wrote:
I see what you mean interms of cost. on the other had a quick google search you can buy rubix cube for $3-$6? so yeah if we can figure out costs then it might work.

second: i dont have a game idea. who wants to start a project to design something with me??? :)

Seems pretty high for one component, but I suppose in massive quantities the price per unit would go down...

The bigger concern is durability. Rubik's Cubes (even at 2x2x2) weren't meant to be thrown as dice and I know many...MANY friends that throw die like they're in the longest craps table in Vegas with the strength of a baseball pitch. Even at a couple of plays, those die would shatter.

There should be a way around that issue.

Tataku999
Offline
Joined: 10/20/2015
well putting costs aside....

well putting costs aside.... would you wanna create a game based around this for fun and see where it goes? might be fun to have an open forum collaboration...

Syndicate content


forum | by Dr. Radut