Skip to Content

Game idea - Monaco: 1929 (Racing and sabotage)

9 replies [Last post]
Maritoe
Maritoe's picture

I'm looking for feedback on the theme, possible mechanic ideas and how they fit together. Also if there is anything I should look at to draw inspiration from do toss it my way. Please be brutally honest:)

Overview-

.Monaco Grand Prix, 1929
.Sabotage cars before race
.Place traps during race
.Be the first to finish

Premise / Theme-

It's 1929, Antony Noghès, a wealthy manufacturer, has the idea of a new race, a race where man meets machine in a duel of courage and skill. Welcome to the Monaco Grand Prix! He offers 100,000 Francs to the winner of this event and many flock to take up the offer. However, though many teams are prepared to win fair and square, others are slightly more creative when it comes to following the rules of the road.

The idea-

The basic idea is that there are two stages of play, sabotage and the race. The aim is to win the race while sabotaging the other teams so they lose, but the problem is they'll be trying to do the same. Each player will have a specific car depending on their character, William Grover-Williams will have the Bugatti 35B for example. These cars will have components (represented by cards) and special abilities, all of which can be sabotaged.

Sabotage-

There will be various ways to sabotage. In the sabotage stage of play, teams can replace components of the other team's car with faulty ones, causing difficulties when driving. This mechanic could play somewhat similar to Masquerade, with a scrap heap full of broken engine pieces able to swap with.

Another possibility is that players move their pieces with a simple roll of a dice and must move around the race track collecting faulty pieces to place in the oppositions car, but they must get back before the start of the race or they'll be left behind!

You must also collect, buy or steal items such as traps, these will be needed for the race in order to screw with the other teams while they're racing.

Race-

When the race begins players will move around the track, but be careful of traps placed by other teams such as oil spills, wrong turns or thumb tacks across the road as these will slow you down and maybe require you to hop out the drivers seat and slip into some mechanics overalls.

Dagar
To me this is an interesting

To me this is an interesting premise. I like the first notion of a sabotage round and a racing round. To me it does not make much sense to collect faulty pieces on the track to assign for the enemies. I do not know how heavy you want your game to be, but you could start with every team (represented by a player) to have a certain budget. In the setup part of the game (which the sabotage is part of) you can allocate your funds to your own team (mechanics, driver and vehicle; more funds on mechanics mean you can fix problems faster, more funds on the driver make you better utilize what your car can do and more funds on your car increase your speed, the number and kind of traps your car carries and so on) and on sabotaging other teams (like bribing another teams' mechanics to 'overlook' certain problems or make their gears bust in the middleof the race), while in the racing part you try to be faster thatn the other teams by any means. In addition to the prize money (the first player gets 100,000, the second one 40,000 the third on 10,000, the remaining players get nothing) each team has one or more sponsors that give a little money each round and more if you achieve their demands (be at least third, be faster than team X, cause at least 5 accidents in a race, ...). The game ends after several rounds and the winner is the player with the most money.

Is this kind of what you thought of?

Maritoe
Maritoe's picture
That all sounds excellent

All those ideas sound excellent, I'd not thought of bribing teams but it seems like a must-do now! I also think that lasting over multiple rounds is certainly a good idea, I never like it in games where there is just one round and if you don't start off well you're bound to lose, so the idea of being able to claw it back is nice. I especially like the "cause at least 5 accidents in a race" challenge, that should get people all worked up haha.

I don't want it to be too heavy, easy to learn but with lots of variation in what you can choose to do (sabotage-wise). I like the idea of a Wacky-Races type thing where there are just crashes and calamities going on all the time and just utter chaos.

The art style will also be extremely important, I was thinking of having it like the old classic Monaco Grand Prix Poster, like this sort of thing: http://bit.ly/1L815xf

Dagar
This immediately reminds me

This immediately reminds me of the race in the Mafia PC game - simply genious. If you can stick to that style, you should definitely do so.

Do you think everyone should have the exact same starting conditions? Or should there be a team with a talented driver from the start, one with excellent mechanics, another one with a gracious financier and so on?

What just popped into my mind: A laxative in the driver's coffee: If you don't have a spare driver, he will have to get out at least once per round and change his pants ^^

Maritoe
Maritoe's picture
Sounds good

I'll be sure to give that a glance, I am a sucker for a Mafia / Noir themed game. LA Noire is just wonderful.

I thought the car would be the main thing that would be changed at the start, some cars might have more slots to hold traps or some might have nitro to give them a boost. But yes different characters with pros and cons is certainly something I thought about. I thought of having someone in the crowd who might go around setting traps while the team was racing. I also think it would be fun to have all the characters be real drivers and such.

That sure is a unique idea, don't think I've ever heard of a game where using laxatives is an ability haha. Or perhaps swapping their water bottle for a hip flask filled with spirits, that would cause them to be a bit swervy at the wheel.

Dagar
Sounds good! Why not write a

Sounds good! Why not write a blog about your game going more into detail? I'd love to read more about it!

Do you have a prototype yet?

Maritoe
Maritoe's picture
Hmm

I wouldn't know where to start! I think yes I probably will but perhaps when the idea and mechanics are a bit more solid? Thank you very much:)

Oh noo I'm nowhere near a prototype, maybe soon I'll start thinking about a board but for the moment I just want to know the game through and through ya know?

Thank you for all your help it's very much appreciated!

By the way, which Mafia game were you referring to? Was it Mafia 2? and what race within it? Because I'd love to have a look.

Dagar
Nope Mafia I. You can find

Nope Mafia I. You can find videos of it on youtube easily (of the race I mean). Funnily, there is a sabotage mission preliminary to the race. Have fun watching it!

Maritoe
Maritoe's picture
Gangsters are fab

I love the mafia / gangster genre, I'd love to do something with it some day. I watched some videos and its a shame they dont go into more detail about sabotage and everything that could have been good. But I'll definitely draw on the race for inspiration!

phonyamerican
Death Rally, the original.

Death Rally, the original.

Syndicate content

forum | by Dr. Radut