Skip to Content

Need a name for a game.

27 replies [Last post]
Redcap
Redcap's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/26/2008

General synopsis:

Evil wizard locks his soul/ memory of himself in a magical cyrstal at the top of his tower in which he then is able to summon monsters, attack the surrounding country side, ect.

It is the goal of the heroes to ascend to the top of the tower, fighting through monsters, traps, and other dangerous puzzles in order to destroy the cyrstal and free the world from this dark prescence.

Game play is one player is the bad guy summoning monsters, while the other players are the good guys fighting there way up.

Names I have vetoed:
Wizards Tower
Ascention (To similiar to descent)

Names I have played around with:
Crystal Heart (Not a good name for a game though)

...that's it; hence I am asking for your ideas. :)

awakener76
Offline
Joined: 10/07/2008
Name suggestion
irdesigns510
irdesigns510's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/24/2009
what gets more attention?

is it the actual crystal that gets top priority? or the act of fighting to the top of the tower?
or even focus it on the players, and call it "The saviors of ________" or "The ______ Quest"

maybe the tower has a really bad-ass name like LOTR's "Eisenguard"

this isnt so much a "call it this..." reply, as much as it is a directive reply. but i hope it helps.

InvisibleJon
InvisibleJon's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/27/2008
Ideas...

Redcap wrote:
Game play is one player is the bad guy summoning monsters, while the other players are the good guys fighting there way up.

Names I have vetoed:
Wizards Tower
Ascension (To similar to descent)

Ideas:
* Heart of Darkness
* Separable Soul
* Dark Soul
* Zargoth's Tower (Zargoth being the name of the evil wizard)
* Dark Apotheosis

conflictuniverse
Offline
Joined: 06/23/2009
here are my ideas

off the top of my head

The Wizard must die
Heroes vs. Wizard
Soul Binder
The Tower
Wizard Bane
Wizards Curse

Redcap
Redcap's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/26/2008
These are all awesome. I

These are all awesome. I really like Dark Apotheosis; however, the more I think about it the more I don't necessarily want to focus all on the wizard but also on the adventurers.

So what do you all think about:

*Crystal Bound

... Is the dual meaning obvious enough?

bluesea
bluesea's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/28/2008
Dark Siege Siege of the

Dark Siege
Siege of the Sorcerer
Sorcerer's Siegeworks
Stronghold

dannorder
dannorder's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/20/2008
Dark Tower Sauron Dark

Dark Tower
Sauron
Dark Crystal

You know you want to... :-)

Katherine
Offline
Joined: 07/24/2008
Potter fans would recognise

Potter fans would recognise horcrux if you use it in the name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horcrux

ilta
ilta's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/05/2008
Quote:Potter fans would

Quote:
Potter fans would recognise horcrux if you use it in the name.

As would lawyers. I'd stay far away from the term.

I kind of like "The Wizard Must Die" but I don't know if it works printed on a game box. I agree that it needs clarity between the main elements of the game: the guy locked in a crystal, the monsters, or the ascent. I'd also add that the nature of the team sent to kill the wizard might take center stage -- is it homogeneous or an unlikely alliance, Fellowship-of-the-Ring-style?

InvisibleJon
InvisibleJon's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/27/2008
...

Redcap wrote:
These are all awesome. I really like Dark Apotheosis;
Yeah, bustin' out with the vocabulary on that one.
Redcap wrote:
however, the more I think about it the more I don't necessarily want to focus all on the wizard but also on the adventurers.

So what do you all think about:

*Crystal Bound

... Is the dual meaning obvious enough?

That's pretty good. I like it well enough.

"The Wizard Must Die" is also a front-runner for me. However, it's a bit campy, so you may not want to use it.

One more pitch: Downfall

MatthewF
MatthewF's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/22/2008
Suggestions

Facets of Evil

Scaling the Tower

Jewel of Evil

Gem of Sorcery

Crystalline Spire

Sorcerous Spire

truekid games
truekid games's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/29/2008
i think Crystal Bound works

i think Crystal Bound works very well.

Redcap
Redcap's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/26/2008
InvisibleJon, may I use

InvisibleJon, may I use Downfall as the game title? That one is awesome...

I want to add a sub title though like:

*Downfall - Crystal Memories
*Downfall - Crystal Shadows
*Downfall - Shadows of the Crystal
*Downfall - Crystal Echoes ( Like this)
*Downfall - Crystal Pulse
*Downfall - Shattering of a Soul (Like this one too)

What do you think? Personally I think it adds flare to the game, making it sound deep and a little dark.

InvisibleJon
InvisibleJon's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/27/2008
Gee...

Redcap wrote:
InvisibleJon, may I use Downfall as the game title? That one is awesome...
You may. I'm flattered. There were lots of other great suggestions too.

JuggernautJ
Offline
Joined: 02/14/2009
DOWNFALL

DOWNFALL - The Wizard MUST Die!

Err, what happens if the Wizard WINS?

Couldn't resist, but I do like the name.

Redcap
Redcap's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/26/2008
So here is the little

So here is the little subtlety of the game...

One player plays as the wizard. Actually as the game idea evolves it isn't neccessarily a wizard, it is just a powerful individual who locked themselves into the cyrstal. It may have been a wizard, or a powerful warrior, or who knows. It is just a power hungery soul now.

It is their goal to use their limited resources to build the levels for the heroes and try and kill them. There are rules and point allocations to what the wizard can and can't do, pretty confusing, but what happens if the wizard wins? The player acting as the bad guy player wins!

I am also going to put in a side note into the rules that says if the wizard... or villian... or whatever is in the cyrstal wins, then the player who played the bad guy is the bad guy again. Kind of like king of the hill, how long can they remain the crystal. If a player defeats the crystal, then all the heroes win but the one who dealt the final blow gets to be the bad guy next time they play. So there is also a winner amongst the winners, kind of.

Now the name Downfall just rocks huhh? But the subtitle is a little bit more hard to peg, because not expecting to be published but planning for the "what if"; this game is very easily expanded. New monsters, heroes, skills, traps, room events, ect So I was planning a story line that could evolve into saying that this crystal is just one of hundreds of similar crystals. And the quest for the Downfall continues past this one cyrstal. So I need a name that That focuses more on the crystal elemtent and less on the individual in this specific crystal.

So I am loving The Shattering of a Soul or Crystal Soul as a subtitle because it helps create the story in so few words. But again, I love feedback and ideas. So now knowing a little more about the game, any other ideas for the subtitle are welcome!

JuggernautJ
Offline
Joined: 02/14/2009
DownFall - The Crystal

DownFall - The Crystal Quest

(Next Episode: The Crystal Quest Continues...)

lucasAB
lucasAB's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/26/2008
May I add a suggestion?

I love the name Downfall, why don't you just use that, expansions can have subtitles.

What theme is the game set in? Medieval wizard/King Arthur? I think you should have it been Greek mythology, a powerful warrior and some buddies kills a powerful cyclops. His buddies leave, but the warrior searches the cavern for treasure, and finds the crystal. Realizing that it has ultimate power, he does whatever he can to have the power, even become the crystal. Some of his buddies find out after the quest what has happened to their power-greedy comrade, and sorrowfully return to kill him... but can they? It's up to you to fight and win the ultimate battle of Greek mythology! (there are tons of Greek mythology monsters to choose from to fight)

Just an idea, you can improve on it all you want. Cheers!

irdesigns510
irdesigns510's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/24/2009
downfall...

i would think if you go with downfall, you should have the "good guys" travel tothe bottom of a cave/dungeon, rather than the top of a tower.

InvisibleJon
InvisibleJon's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/27/2008
Hero fall down, go splat.

irdesigns510 wrote:
i would think if you go with downfall, you should have the "good guys" travel tothe bottom of a cave/dungeon, rather than the top of a tower.
When I suggested it, I was thinking that the end of the game would either result in the defeat (downfall) of the evil crystal wizard or the the failure of the adventurers (in which case they're tossed off the tower – their literal downfall).

cyril957
Offline
Joined: 06/05/2009
Did You Say *Stay* The Wizard?

You mentioned that if a person wins as the wizard that he stays the wizard.

Is this supposed to be a game played multiple times in a row? Obviously any game could be technically, but it works better if the game is shorter. So how tall is this tower supposed to be exactly?

And what happens if the wizard *doesn't* win? Obviously with 4-against-1 (or whatever) this is bound to happen at least sometimes. But what then? Will there be a "first place" among the heroes to decide who becomes the new wizard the next go-around? If you do it this way, then the "all for one, one for all" aspect will be diminished, but maybe that's what you want.

Redcap
Redcap's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/26/2008
This game is meant to be as

This game is meant to be as long or short as you want it to be.

Every room a player walks into they roll a 20 sided dice. If it is a 1 then it is a room with stairs. There are three floors total, so you can see this would make for a very long game indeed. Well just change the number you have to roll (for example a 1,2,3,4, or 5) and all of a sudden your game becomes much shorter.

If you want to play it over and over again you can... however, if anyone is like me they have game nights and at the end of one game they will just say, "well next time we play, so and so will be the dungeon master because they won."

Is there a winner among the winners? Yes, if the heroes beat the tower than all the heroes win; however, the one hero to actually destroy the gem at the top of the tower is the ultimate winner.

Who will win more, the heroes or the villain. Neither, the game will be designed to be balanced. If there are more heroes then the villain becomes more powerful so unlike most dungeon crawls it wont be stacked in the heroes favor; however, it isn't stacked in the villains favor either. Also, experienced players will have an advantage versus un-experienced players because they will know not to just go charging into a room just because they are the warrior, but then again the mechanics of the game are simple enough that a new player will not be utterly slaughtered because they will have the fore withal to realize that a shield with +3 defense is still a good and desirable thing.

fecundity
fecundity's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/28/2008
Redcap wrote: *Downfall -

Redcap wrote:

*Downfall - Shattering of a Soul (Like this one too)

Too many fiddly words! Why not just "Downfall: Shattered Soul"?

Conspine (not verified)
Abstractive

Spam message removed.

-seo

Redcap
Redcap's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/26/2008
Yeah!!!! Something we don't

Yeah!!!! Something we don't need!

johnnmin
Offline
Joined: 07/23/2009
Redcap wrote:InvisibleJon,

Redcap wrote:
InvisibleJon, may I use Downfall as the game title? That one is awesome...

I want to add a sub title though like:

*Downfall - Crystal Memories
*Downfall - Crystal Shadows
*Downfall - Shadows of the Crystal
*Downfall - Crystal Echoes ( Like this)
*Downfall - Crystal Pulse
*Downfall - Shattering of a Soul (Like this one too)

What do you think? Personally I think it adds flare to the game, making it sound deep and a little dark.

That would be great i'd feel too. Adding a prefix or you may say the actual name for the series and another name for the game makes it easier to comfortably fit in a name for the aequel.

Mollycat
Offline
Joined: 07/27/2009
Dual meaning

I love word play- I like the name. And it applies to the wizard and the hero/player so it works!

Syndicate content


forum | by Dr. Radut