Skip to Content

A single question to all

18 replies [Last post]
ichbin
Offline
Joined: 09/21/2010

Hi everybody,

Can you explain why the game designers who are very known or who have published few games do not show their new games to people in forums like this one or BGG or other forums ?

Thank you for any help.

Ps : I'm very angry because one of my games was stolen. The guy won Mensa 2009. I decided since yesterday not to publish at all my games (more than 50 games).

truekid games
truekid games's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/29/2008
Jeffinberlin, InvisibleJon,

Jeffinberlin, InvisibleJon, Sedjtroll, Outside Lime, dnjkirk, Clever Mojo, and several other posters here have published designs, so the premise of your question is flawed.

However, if you feel your game was stolen, that is definitely unfortunate - have you contacted the designer or the company involved? Which game was it? Since it was clearly not stolen from here (as your join date is well after all the 2009 winners were published), was it someone you knew in person?

Cogentesque
Cogentesque's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/17/2011
As is truekid games ;) People

As is truekid games ;)

People don't have to follow any blogs. Think of it perhaps like a champion football player joining a forum all baout "how to play football" - I mean sure, they might, but by no means are obliged to.

Also - it is a shame that this situation has happened to you, I'm seconding truekids advice, have you approached the designer / publisher yet?

ichbin
Offline
Joined: 09/21/2010
truekid games

truekid games wrote:
Jeffinberlin, InvisibleJon, Sedjtroll, Outside Lime, dnjkirk, Clever Mojo, and several other posters here have published designs, so the premise of your question is flawed.

Can you please give the date of the last game sent by one those game designers ?

I'm not talking about old posts where none of them was published.
Quote me recents one.
I'm talking about GAMES not any post concerning advises or something like that.
I did a search before.

Thank you.

Jeffinberlin the last one sent since 2008.
Invisiblejon the last one since 2008.
For sedjtroll it is impossible to know because he sends in his his name other's game for the showdown

and so on

The premise of my question is NOT flawed.

Dralius
Dralius's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/26/2008
ichbin wrote:Ps : I'm very

ichbin wrote:
Ps : I'm very angry because one of my games was stolen. The guy won Mensa 2009. I decided since yesterday not to publish at all my games (more than 50 games).

The Mensa select winners for 2009 were

Cornerstone by Matt Mette published in 2008
Domionion by Donald X. Vaccarino published in 2008
Marrakech by Dominuqie published in 2007
Stratum by Jose L Navas published in 2008
Tic-Tac-Ku by by Mark Asperheim & Chris Van Oosterum published in 2008

Which one is it?

ichbin
Offline
Joined: 09/21/2010
Dralius wrote:ichbin wrote:Ps

Dralius wrote:
ichbin wrote:
Ps : I'm very angry because one of my games was stolen. The guy won Mensa 2009. I decided since yesterday not to publish at all my games (more than 50 games).

The Mensa select winners for 2009 were

Cornerstone by Matt Mette published in 2008
Domionion by Donald X. Vaccarino published in 2008
Marrakech by Dominuqie published in 2007
Stratum by Jose L Navas published in 2008
Tic-Tac-Ku by by Mark Asperheim & Chris Van Oosterum published in 2008

Which one is it?


The game I was talking about is on the list above. Correct.
But but but I will not give you the name of the game because I can not accuse someone namely before compiling all the facts. I have to finish collecting information about the game designers the publisher the
publishing date and so on.
What is sure is that :
-the board and the components are identical
-the game's idea is identical too
- the turn play and the scoring system are different.

Cogentesque
Cogentesque's picture
Offline
Joined: 08/17/2011
So ichbin, what question are

So ichbin, what question are you asking?

If your question is "Please explain why people who have released games do not post?" - then the answer is: It is there choice if they post or not, there is no obligations to post or not to post, this is just a friendly forum.

If your question is "Please tell me which people sent in game ideas for the Game Designer Showdown" that Seth (sedktroll) runs on this site. Then you should be able to search the historical "Game designer showdown" posts for yourself.

If your question is "SOMEONE STOLE MY GAME! WHAT SHOULD I DO?" then you need to check out the intellectual property laws out. But do remember that there are many games that have identical parts to many other games and there are a lot of designers in the world also, it might be a case of "same idea, same time" as happens a lot in boardgame designs.

But I do know that you cannot copyright a "game mechanic" - for example, Roll-and-move or Deck-Building or something like that - I understand that you cannot "own" such an idea.

JaffetC
JaffetC's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/19/2011
in the us you can get

in the us you can get pattents for mechanics though, but i havent heard of stuff like that since richard garfield pattented everything revolving magic the gathering.

ichbin, i agree with cog on this, there very well maybe too many variables. additionally published designers do get busy and so dont have as much time to visit all the boards and so forth.

btw jamestk and my self have self published or published games.

i think jamestk has like 3 current games on kickstarter as well.

ichbin
Offline
Joined: 09/21/2010
I'm very naive ....

I will never make another mistake.
The game which was stolen I published it (I'm not 100% sure) in one of my blogs in 2008. Since then I took copy of the blog and I removed it.
There is still a copy on internet

http://web.archive.org/web/20081214125255/http://joujoujou.over-blog.com/
The name of my game is "Morpion au carré"
Other games are there too.

Maybe it was simple coincidence I still do not know. If it was then I apologize.
Anyway I decided not to publish at all my games.
So good luck to all of you!

Dralius
Dralius's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/26/2008
I think what we have here is

I think what we have here is parallel development. There have been many Tic-Tac-Toe games done on a bigger grid and it is not hard to believe that someone else came up with the same idea. This is a common problem with abstract games being that they have simple rules sets. The simpler a game the more likely someone else will duplicate it on their own without any pre-knowledge. Especially one based on a well known game concept.

JaffetC
JaffetC's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/19/2011
so this game was an actual

so this game was an actual physical copy? or an idea in your blog that might never be? the reason i ask is because while it could have been coincidence if you did in fact have a physical version of the game copyright and all you could file suit. however if it was just an idea... yea good luck. but really you will be stunting your own growth by not putting actual games up for critic and so forth... i wouldnt mind working on a collab work game with a designer from here. However id work with somebody that wont just write ideas down but actually make it happen.

truekid games
truekid games's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/29/2008
Sedjtroll concepted Eminent

Sedjtroll concepted Eminent Domain almost entirely on this site. Invisible Jon has 100 games up on his blog right now, literally.

Your premise is flawed, so you're still making mistakes.

On top of that, like Dralius said, lots of tic-tac-toe variants, including ones on larger boards, are thought up every year.

To be honest, I feel he understated it, I would have said THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of tic-tac-toe variants are "re-discovered" every year. The one in question (tic-tac-ku), I'm pretty sure I played on grid paper in middle school. I wouldn't have said it even deserved a separate BGG entry. Not only that, the publisher had a pre-existing product which happens to already have a board that's divided into 9 smaller 3x3 grids. If you think they went out of their way to steal a concept on how to play tic-tac-toe on something like that... then yes, I agree with you that you're naive, but not for the reason you think. ON TOP OF THAT, their rules and your rules are different, your scoring system is not the same as EITHER their "basic" OR "advanced" rules.

So let's tally up:
-you're wrong about whether people have or have not shared things on this forum.
-you're wrong in saying they copied you, because even the rules are different.
-you're naive about how hugely widespread tic-tac-toe variants are.
-it was premature and irrational for you to pull down your blog, because IF someone had stolen your game idea, that would be the first thing you could have pointed to when bringing it up to the publisher or in a court of law.

So I guess good luck not talking about any of your games on the internet? I'm sure it's also a well informed decision, like the above ones.

ichbin
Offline
Joined: 09/21/2010
Remember....

Just remember this prediction.
In my blog (see adress above) I had detailed a game "Triplomino".
Soon or later you will see someone coming with a copy (even if it is hard to copy).

I was not wrong abour what I said.
I said that the scoring system and the turn play are different even if I still think that my scoring system is better.
In my game you can play as you wish there is no limit on the board. In your turn you can place a pawn anywhere. So strategically mine is better. It is not a tactical game.

Take look at the designers (google them).

I will work on my games and I will publish them by myself just for fun. 50 copies of each game. I will care about the sales.

That's it.

Thank you for all.

truekid games
truekid games's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/29/2008
You were wrong about what you

You were wrong about what you said, because you felt that they had copied you, even though the SCORING and GAMEPLAY were different. If BGG wasn't down right now, I'd link a list of all the tic-tac-toe family games and point out that you could say they -all- copied you, just with different SCORING and GAMEPLAY. Rat Hot (and a variety of other games) use 3-box dominoes, just with different SCORING and GAMEPLAY.

Your work is derivative of "classic" games. which is fine. So are thousands and thousands of other people's, every year. which is also fine. When you start accusing those other people of copying YOURS, even when the vast majority of the actual game is different (aside from the parts shared by the classic it's derived from), then you've got a serious perspective issue.

ichbin
Offline
Joined: 09/21/2010
The problem is over

So now good bye.
I will never post in any forum nor any blog or website.
Lesson learned once for all.

melx
Offline
Joined: 11/13/2008
You have more than 50

You have more than 50 games?
More games = bigger possibilities to have similar games published before or after.
(Trust me - It happens often)

truekid games
truekid games's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/29/2008
The problem is your

The problem is your inability to grasp simple concepts, ichbin, so I reckon it's not over.

Enjoy ragequitting the internet.

(yes, rude, i know).

ichbin
Offline
Joined: 09/21/2010
my turn

truekid games wrote:
Jeffinberlin, InvisibleJon, Sedjtroll, Outside Lime, dnjkirk, Clever Mojo, and several other posters here have published designs, so the premise of your question is flawed.

It is my turn to be rude.
It took me one hour to check all the posts sent in "New ideas" during the last year.
NOT ONE OF THOSE NAME ABOVE HAS INITIATED A THREAD.

YOU ARE A BIG LIAR!!!
I KNOW WHY ARE YOU LYING.

I'M TALKING ABOUT THE FORUM NOT THE BLOGS OR POSTS SENT SOMEWHERE ELSE.

NOW I KNOW HOW TO BEHAVE.
NEVER NEVER NEVER I WILL SEND ONE OF MY GAMES FOR CRITICS.

sedjtroll
sedjtroll's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/21/2008
Out of hand

Wow, this thread seems a little out of hand. I think I'll lock it.

ichbin, I'm sorry you feel someone may have stolen your game idea. You're well within your rights to choose not to share your unpublished designs with anyone.

I personally have not initiated any design oriented threads here on BGDF lately (I used to do that all the time), though I have done so on my game design blog. I'm not sure how that's important one way or another.

Good luck with your games!

Syndicate content


forum | by Dr. Radut