Skip to Content

Publish your game directly with Nestorgames

33 replies [Last post]
coco
Offline
Joined: 07/27/2008

Hi,

You can now publish your game directly with Nestorgames. Here's how to:

http://www.nestorbooster.com/about.html

Nestorbooster is now an 'authorfunding' platform!

Thx for your visit :)

Néstor

The Chaz
Offline
Joined: 11/20/2012
So that's it?!?

...just a link?

Why would a designer go this route rather than self-publishing?

What do you offer that others don't?

Why go with nestor instead of a domestic publisher?

devaloki
devaloki's picture
Offline
Joined: 01/15/2014
Seems like a scam to me.

Seems like a scam to me.

coco
Offline
Joined: 07/27/2008
The Chaz wrote:...just a

The Chaz wrote:
...just a link?

Why would a designer go this route rather than self-publishing?

What do you offer that others don't?

Why go with nestor instead of a domestic publisher?

It's just an option :)

coco
Offline
Joined: 07/27/2008
devaloki wrote:Seems like a

devaloki wrote:
Seems like a scam to me.

Why? :(

Don't you know Nestorgames?

http://www.nestorgames.com/#shopextd

truekid games
truekid games's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/29/2008
devaloki wrote:Seems like a

devaloki wrote:
Seems like a scam to me.

I would not say it's a scam. Nestor has a solid reputation, he has no reason to scam people.

The Chaz
Offline
Joined: 11/20/2012
coco wrote:The Chaz

coco wrote:
The Chaz wrote:

Why would a designer go this route rather than self-publishing?

What do you offer that others don't?

Why go with nestor instead of a domestic publisher?

It's just an option :)

That is the worst answer I can imagine, except for maybe resorting to personal insults.

Can you really not give me a single reason to choose Nestor?

Are you Nestor? Have you USED Nestor? I mean... what's the point of your post, and this entire discussion, if you can't give a compelling reason to use the service you posted... TWICE now?!?

truekid games
truekid games's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/29/2008
most people on the forum know

most people on the forum know that's Nestor (he's been on these forums for like, 5 years?), and when I look at his posting history, the last time he posted about this particular thing was... over a year ago? and it seems like it was a different format at that time?

somewhat belligerent responses to a fairly benign post.

coco
Offline
Joined: 07/27/2008
truekid games wrote:most

truekid games wrote:
most people on the forum know that's Nestor (he's been on these forums for like, 5 years?), and when I look at his posting history, the last time he posted about this particular thing was... over a year ago? and it seems like it was a different format at that time?

somewhat belligerent responses to a fairly benign post.

Yes, that's correct. Thank you. As the website says, Nestorbooster was a crowdfunding platform, but it has now mutated into an 'authorfunding' platform (hence the new announcement). This was because a new spanish law effectively destroying crowfunding here.

About why using Nestorbooster I prefer people to find it out for themselves, intead of giving my biased opinion.

For some reason I keep finding rude posts in a community that is supposed to be about fun :)

laperen
Offline
Joined: 04/30/2013
people are rather used to

people are rather used to advertising and information being handed out to them in this day and age, but even with that said, it does have somewhat too little information to attract main stream attention assuming that was your intention

coco
Offline
Joined: 07/27/2008
laperen wrote:people are

laperen wrote:
people are rather used to advertising and information being handed out to them in this day and age, but even with that said, it does have somewhat too little information to attract main stream attention assuming that was your intention

Maybe you're right. But being a new procedure I prefer to start slowly, so I can handle it.

Dralius
Dralius's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/26/2008
The Chaz wrote:Are you

The Chaz wrote:
Are you Nestor? Have you USED Nestor? I mean... what's the point of your post, and this entire discussion, if you can't give a compelling reason to use the service you posted... TWICE now?!?

Nestor has published many games including my game Cannon. His materials are high quality and people are aware of that. Is quality a reason?

The Chaz
Offline
Joined: 11/20/2012
Was not aware

Dralius wrote:

Nestor has published many games including my game Cannon. His materials are high quality and people are aware of that. Is quality a reason?


Thanks for the reply. To those ignorant of certain relevant facts (me), it just looked like someone dropping a link, with no intention of discussing the option.

Quality is a great reason!

@Nestor, please pardon my abrasive tone. I couldn't divine your role in the promotion, and was a bit baffled that there was/is no follow-up! I still would like to know what sets your business apart from the competition, if you have the time.

As for "rudeness in a place for fun", hopefully I won't be contributing to the rudeness henceforth.

Cheers

The Chaz
Offline
Joined: 11/20/2012
...

truekid games wrote:
devaloki wrote:
Seems like a scam to me.

I would not say it's a scam. Nestor has a solid reputation, he has no reason to scam people.

(FWIW, I somehow did not see this reply before my "belligerent" comment.)

coco
Offline
Joined: 07/27/2008
The Chaz wrote: I still would

The Chaz wrote:
I still would like to know what sets your business apart from the competition, if you have the time.

I think mostly the following:

- As David said, quality.
- The format itself (portable, light,...)
- The business model that makes nestorgames resilient: no debt, small print runs (even 1 single copy), no manufacturing in China,...
- Exposure.
- Your game shares space with other 200.
- Automatic publication (no knocking infinite doors).
- You get as many copies as you want with a discount.

On the other hand (and a consequence of the model) sales are not as high as a standard publisher.

Markus Hagenauer
Offline
Joined: 12/04/2009
my expierince

Hi,

I´ve already published 3 games with nestorgames and for my fourth game Tome I use the new methode for the first time. ( see: http://www.nestorbooster.com/#tomoe_detail )

I´d say publishing you game this way can be compared best with publishing the game via The Game Crafter.

The main differences are:

- you don´t have to do the layout, product design ...
- as nestorgames assortment focuses on abstract games, those games might be more likely to sell good than others (at least fans of abstracts much more likely will come across your game on nestorgames website than fans of ameritrash games will do)
- the game must fit the quite strict limits of the nestorgames format

Finally I can say, you should not expect large sales figures (I think 100 per year would be rather overestimated), but if you agree that selling a few games is better than beeing unpublished, you should consider nestorbooster.
If you want to get richt and famous, publishing the game with nestorgames might not bring you much closer to your goal.
But if thats you goal, designing board games might be the wrong job anyway.

The Chaz
Offline
Joined: 11/20/2012
Thanks Markus

That's good to know.

I really was/am curious about the way this works, which might explain (though not excuse) some of my earlier comments!

questccg
questccg's picture
Online
Joined: 04/16/2011
Insights into The Game Crafter

Markus Hagenauer wrote:
...I´d say publishing your game this way can be compared best with publishing the game via The Game Crafter...

Well here's the information I have about The Game Crafter (TGC):

  • MOST games will NOT sell 100 copies.
  • The profit you should expect to earn is about $5.00.
  • Remember that profit is split 70/30. So actual markup should be about $7.15.

And remember making games with many parts/components is also very expensive. The more you add, the pricier it gets.

The good thing about The Game Crafter is Bulk Fulfillment.

Although the option is costlier these days (after the recent increase), a Kickstarter combined with TGC Bulk Fulfillment is great since TGC handles ALL aspects from design, to production, to final shipment! That's right Bulk allows you to handle direct shipping... Which is FANTASTIC.

So in order to get good sales on TGC, it is recommended to have a Kickstarter to fund the production run of about 250 - 350 game sets (that's the average).

In the end what this means is that you should expect to earn about $1500 - $2000 profit with a self-published game via Kickstarter/TGC.

Now if you have your game published via a Publisher you should probably expect that same amount for a 1st Print Run ($1500 - $2000). But if the game sells well, you should expect a 2nd Print Run which should be about double (so $3000 - $4000). Add that all up and it makes the total about $4500 - $6000...

Maybe coco could give some figures about Nestorbooster and how they compare...

coco
Offline
Joined: 07/27/2008
Nestorbooster/Nestorgames is

Nestorbooster/Nestorgames is a one-man company (well, part of a man only, as I also do other things), so don't expect those numbers. :)

The main differences are:

- those numbers.
- a Kickstarter campaing could end up not being funded, while Nestorgames is a sure thing.
- quality of components and format.
- fidel customers (that buy almost every game that I release).
- I take care of all the product design, althogh is more a team work, as I use as much input from the designer as I can. For example, Varanasi's board has been designed by the author himself.

schattentanz
schattentanz's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/18/2014
Questions

Nestor!! :) :) :)

I'm considering submitting one of my own creations as well.

A couple of questions, though:

The game in question is (for now) a print and play game.
(As much as I'm aware, Andrew from printplaygames.com offers it, too.)
Would you mind if the game remained available as a free print and Play as well?
(After all, there is a difference between paper and high quality components).

Also, there is one passage on your site I do not understand:
"The number of copies that the designer must purchase (at a discount) in order to release it."
So, I would have to buy physical copies of my own game?
If so, what for? I don't have a chance (even less: a store) to sell it..

Thank you and kind regards,
Kai

coco
Offline
Joined: 07/27/2008
schattentanz wrote:Nestor!!

schattentanz wrote:
Nestor!! :) :) :)

Hey :)

schattentanz wrote:
I'm considering submitting one of my own creations as well.

A couple of questions, though:

The game in question is (for now) a print and play game.
(As much as I'm aware, Andrew from printplaygames.com offers it, too.)
Would you mind if the game remained available as a free print and Play as well?
(After all, there is a difference between paper and high quality components).

Sure. No problem.

schattentanz wrote:
Also, there is one passage on your site I do not understand:
"The number of copies that the designer must purchase (at a discount) in order to release it."
So, I would have to buy physical copies of my own game?
If so, what for? I don't have a chance (even less: a store) to sell it..

This is a new publishing model in which the designer himself 'fuels' the game by buying an initial amount of copies (usually around 25).

Nestorbooster was a crowfunding site, but due to a new spanish law to be aproved shortly that effectively kills crowdfunding in Spain, I've had to mutate Nestorbooster into 'authorfunding'.

So yes, you have to purchase them. What for? It depends on you. Most of the designers that have enroled to Nestorbooster already have preorders or simply want to give away copies to their relatives and friends. Or even other publishers for review.

Markus Hagenauer
Offline
Joined: 12/04/2009
schattentanz wrote:So, I

schattentanz wrote:

So, I would have to buy physical copies of my own game?
If so, what for? I don't have a chance (even less: a store) to sell it..

coco wrote:

So yes, you have to purchase them. What for? It depends on you. Most of the designers that have enroled to Nestorbooster already have preorders or simply want to give away copies to their relatives and friends. Or even other publishers for review.

I will give away some copies to my most reliable playtesters, some other friends will get the game as birthday gifts etc. and if some should be left, trading them for other games on BGG is also a good option.

coco
Offline
Joined: 07/27/2008
Another designer jumped in :)

Another designer jumped in :)

questccg
questccg's picture
Online
Joined: 04/16/2011
Good alternative for self-publishing

coco wrote:
...Nestorbooster was a crowfunding site, but due to a new spanish law to be aproved shortly that effectively kills crowdfunding in Spain, I've had to mutate Nestorbooster into 'authorfunding'.

Hmm... That's usually why designer choose to crowdfund - they need money to pay for artwork, for initial print runs, etc.

But I guess if the designer runs his OWN Kickstarter, well nothing prevents him/her to purchase like 250-350 copies of the game.

So 'authorfunding' is a good way to go about it...

The only problem is if you want to not have to go the route alone, well then you can't participate in Nestorgames, because it sort of relies on "self-publishing" to, eh, work...

schattentanz
schattentanz's picture
Offline
Joined: 02/18/2014
Ok .. so I'll actually have

Ok .. so I'll actually have to buy my own game .. Hmm ..

Any chance I can calculate in advance, for how much the game is going to sell or at least how much money I'll have to invest in advance?
This would surely help a lot .. :)

Kind regards,
Kai

coco
Offline
Joined: 07/27/2008
questccg wrote:The only

questccg wrote:
The only problem is if you want to not have to go the route alone, well then you can't participate in Nestorgames, because it sort of relies on "self-publishing" to, eh, work...

I'm sorry. I don't understand this paragraph. Can you elaborate? Thx!

coco
Offline
Joined: 07/27/2008
schattentanz wrote:Ok .. so

schattentanz wrote:
Ok .. so I'll actually have to buy my own game .. Hmm ..

Any chance I can calculate in advance, for how much the game is going to sell or at least how much money I'll have to invest in advance?
This would surely help a lot .. :)

Kind regards,
Kai

If 'invest' is your word then don't go the Nestorbooster path :-D

Godzirra
Offline
Joined: 03/11/2014
interesting

It all sounds interesting. Though it seems like you are limited to pretty small and basic type games. I don't think I will do anything that "small".

Although I'm tempted to throw some crap together just to go thru the process.

Markus Hagenauer
Offline
Joined: 12/04/2009
schattentanz wrote:Ok .. so

schattentanz wrote:
Ok .. so I'll actually have to buy my own game .. Hmm ..

Any chance I can calculate in advance, for how much the game is going to sell or at least how much money I'll have to invest in advance?
This would surely help a lot .. :)

Kind regards,
Kai

It will depend on the components of the game.
But as Néstor sayed, you will have to buy about 25 copies.
And if you look at the other nestorgames, the price usually is around 20 to 30 Euros. So I think if the game is not too material-intensive (and fitting the nestrogames format I think it can´t) 500-600 Euros should be a good point of reference.

coco
Offline
Joined: 07/27/2008
Markus Hagenauer

Markus Hagenauer wrote:
schattentanz wrote:
Ok .. so I'll actually have to buy my own game .. Hmm ..

Any chance I can calculate in advance, for how much the game is going to sell or at least how much money I'll have to invest in advance?
This would surely help a lot .. :)

Kind regards,
Kai

It will depend on the components of the game.
But as Néstor sayed, you will have to buy about 25 copies.
And if you look at the other nestorgames, the price usually is around 20 to 30 Euros. So I think if the game is not too material-intensive (and fitting the nestrogames format I think it can´t) 500-600 Euros should be a good point of reference.

I'd say closer to the 400 Eur range on average.

questccg
questccg's picture
Online
Joined: 04/16/2011
coco wrote:questccg wrote:The

coco wrote:
questccg wrote:
The only problem is if you want to not have to go the route alone, well then you can't participate in Nestorgames, because it sort of relies on "self-publishing" to, eh, work...

I'm sorry. I don't understand this paragraph. Can you elaborate? Thx!

Meaning the only games that get sold on Nestorgames are games that have used Nestorbooster's 'authorfunding'... But I was referring to something more specific such as having a game Published via some soft of distribution channel.

Nestorgames is sort of like The Game Crafter, self-published games. It's not as if you are going to sell those games in Brick & Mortar stores...

Syndicate content


forum | by Dr. Radut