Skip to Content

Comments and Questions on the February 2009 GDS Challenge

27 replies [Last post]
seo
seo's picture

Use this thread to post any comments, questions, or requests for clarification about the February 2009 Challenge in the monthly Game Design Showdown. This month's Challenge is entitled "Back in time: roll-and-move", and can be found here.

Thanks! seo

Brykovian
Brykovian's picture
Nice Challenge, seo! First

Nice Challenge, seo!

First Challenge (that I didn't run) that I immediately starting getting ideas for ... maybe sometime in the next week I will no longer be able to say that I've never submitted a GDS entry. ;-)

-Bryk

seo
seo's picture
Cool

It would be an honor to have The Legendary Brykovian on board!

Glad you liked the challenge. Now I feel a bit less in debt for all the joy your GDS challenges have brought me so far.

brisingre
Ooh

This is a good one. I'll be interested to see if anyone can come up with a good time-travel mechanic, and I will definitely be entering.

Gogolski
Gogolski's picture
brisingre wrote:This is a

brisingre wrote:
This is a good one. I'll be interested to see if anyone can come up with a good time-travel mechanic, and I will definitely be entering.

I'm even more interested in what good roll-and-move mechanics will turn up.

brisingre
Well

making roll-move good is a feat, to be sure, but simulating true nonlinear causality in a causal universe using only human resources is virtually impossible. I've spent a fair amount of my life thinking about time travel, and I'm not that close to getting a solid mechanic out of it.

InvisibleJon
InvisibleJon's picture
Eureka!

After doing some writing, mocking up a board, and thinking pretty hard, I'm very happy with the mechanic I've come up with.
I think the game is actually playable. It's brain-bendingly nutty, but nifty.
Nice theme choice!

The Magician
Damn! I won't be able to have

Damn! I won't be able to have my idea posted for a couple weeks. I think I could work up something. I'l be back at a later time with an idea. This is really good challenge.

seo
seo's picture
The Magician wrote:Damn! I

The Magician wrote:
Damn! I won't be able to have my idea posted for a couple weeks. I think I could work up something. I'l be back at a later time with an idea. This is really good challenge.

I hope you realize that the GDS only lasts a week. It's ok to use the GDS as inspiration for a personal project, but in a couple of weeks the VOTING will be over.
Glad you liked the challenge, sad you can't make it.

The Magician
seo wrote:The Magician

seo wrote:
The Magician wrote:

I hope you realize that the GDS only lasts a week. It's ok to use the GDS as inspiration for a personal project, but in a couple of weeks the VOTING will be over.

Well, I guess I could just put it in the thread "element of time".

Darkehorse
Darkehorse's picture
The Magician wrote:seo

The Magician wrote:
seo wrote:
The Magician wrote:

Well, I guess I could just put it in the thread "element of time".

Actually, we would prefer that you waited until after the challenge to post similar ideas. This will help everyone stay true to their own ideas and not get 'distracted' by anything in the thread.

-Darke

InvisibleJon
InvisibleJon's picture
Playtest tomorrow.

InvisibleJon wrote:
After doing some writing, mocking up a board, and thinking pretty hard, I'm very happy with the mechanic I've come up with.
I think the game is actually playable. It's brain-bendingly nutty, but nifty.
Nice theme choice!
Finished writing rules today. Playtesting tomorrow with our Odd Sunday games group. Eagerly anticipating seeing how it goes.

Yes, I know it doesn't have to be a playable game. I just wanted to take this one that far.

seo
seo's picture
This is great

InvisibleJon wrote:
Yes, I know it doesn't have to be a playable game. I just wanted to take this one that far.

I has happened to me a couple times. And I think it's really positive, and one more reason why I love the GDS. Design restrictions/requirements imposed by the GDS often lead to games I were not likely to create on my own impulse.

brisingre
Time

How much longer does the challenge go for? Unfortunately, I am probably not going to be able to enter if it ends soon, because I've got cousins up for the weekend, and haven't been able to develop my idea.

seo
seo's picture
brisingre wrote:How much

brisingre wrote:
How much longer does the challenge go for? Unfortunately, I am probably not going to be able to enter if it ends soon, because I've got cousins up for the weekend, and haven't been able to develop my idea.

As stated on the original post, Thursday. Feb-19. If some contestants need an extra day, PM me and I'll extend the deadline till Friday 20.

InvisibleJon
InvisibleJon's picture
The pause that refreshes...

seo wrote:
InvisibleJon wrote:
I has happened to me a couple times. And I think it's really positive, and one more reason why I love the GDS. Design restrictions/requirements imposed by the GDS often lead to games I were not likely to create on my own impulse.
Just ran two playtests with my wife (I lost both times!). We both had a good time, and I think we found a few rules and options I can trim from the game (simpler is always a good thing). I'll be running a few more playtests this afternoon with friends and I'm looking forward to it.

I agree with you: This is a game that I would not have made or come remotely close to thinking of if I had not had the theme and restrictions imposed by the GDS. I'm very happy about that. I'd been feeling a little stale, like I hadn't really had any good new ideas for a while. This was largely due to the fact that I'm going over a lot of my old designs and reviewing/revising/editing/preparing them for presentation to publishers. It's refreshing to create something new and different from what I've done before.

On top of that, it was a lot of fun to work with the "back in time" theme. It got me thinking in interesting directions that I hadn't explored before.

seo
seo's picture
InvisibleJon wrote:On top of

InvisibleJon wrote:
On top of that, it was a lot of fun to work with the "back in time" theme. It got me thinking in interesting directions that I hadn't explored before.

To give credit to where credit is due, I have to admit that the time travel theme was one of many suggestions Zzzzz gave me on a private conversation we had about the upcoming GDS. So kudos to him for the popularity of the theme.

Brykovian
Brykovian's picture
seo wrote:It would be an

seo wrote:
It would be an honor to have The Legendary Brykovian on board!

:-( ... not ... gonna ... happen. (again)

-Bryk

seo
seo's picture
Brykovian wrote::-( ... not

Brykovian wrote:
:-( ... not ... gonna ... happen. (again)

Booo :-(

Unless...
Wait a minute...

Is this an evil plan to make me host the GDS again and again? ;-)

seo

Brykovian
Brykovian's picture
seo wrote:Is this an evil

seo wrote:
Is this an evil plan to make me host the GDS again and again? ;-)

Hmmm ... that can be arranged! ;-)

-Bryk

dnjkirk
dnjkirk's picture
Back in the saddle...

I'm coming back for this one! We need a good old fashioned Texas Deathcage Bloodmatch with OL, Hedge, doho... come on! Bring it!

Rick-Holzgrafe
Rick-Holzgrafe's picture
I'm in. Woot!

I'm in. Woot!

ilta
ilta's picture
Seo, I'm putting the

Seo,

I'm putting the finishing touches on mine, so it'll be a little late but I hope that's okay... if only I could somehow go back in time and make more hours in the day!

EDIT: Oh, I see that the date has been moved back a day. Hooray!

Gogolski
Gogolski's picture
It's in...

It's in.

Long time since I last entered. It will probably take a long time before I enter again. (Not that I don't like the GDS, but it is siimply to hard for me)

Good luck to all!
Cheese!

seo
seo's picture
ilta wrote:Seo, I'm putting

ilta wrote:
Seo,

I'm putting the finishing touches on mine, so it'll be a little late but I hope that's okay... if only I could somehow go back in time and make more hours in the day!

EDIT: Oh, I see that the date has been moved back a day. Hooray!

Looks like you're in to extend your GDS winning streak: at least the time-travel mechanic works flawlessly! ;)

seo

ilta
ilta's picture
Hehe, that's the plan!

Hehe, that's the plan!

InvisibleJon
InvisibleJon's picture
Antici...

(I'm looking forward for the deadline to end 'cause I'm eager to see what everyone thought of!)
...pation!

Katherine
imagi...

(what they thought of is what it will come down to)
...nation!

Syndicate content

forum | by Dr. Radut