Skip to Content

Comments and Questions on the January 2010 Game Design Showdown

31 replies [Last post]
sedjtroll
sedjtroll's picture

Use this thread for any comments, questions, requests for clarity, etc., regarding the January 2010 Challenge in the Game Design Showdown, entitled "Which way did he go?!?" (found here: http://www.bgdf.com/node/2664).

Enjoy,
Seth

seo
seo's picture
I like it. Since I'm on

I like it. Since I'm on vacation, I might have time to work on an entry. OTOH, since I'm on vacation, I might end up spending my time doing other fun stuff like watching movies, reading, going to the beach or doing just plain nothing. ;)

But I'd say there's a 75% chance I'll enter.

magic_user
magic_user's picture
Starting a new job

I'm starting a new job on 1/11, so I don't know. But it did start me thinking, and so far I'm thinking a board and a deck of (regular) playing cards. Now if only the rest of the details introduced themselves to me in time.....

See you Thursday!
Jim

boylejm
boylejm's picture
Hello. I'm new to bgdf, so

Hello. I'm new to bgdf, so this is the first GDS I've seen. I have a question on the definition of a "Central Board".

I'm guessing it's as simple as a single, static, gameboard, similar to monopoly, risk, clue, etc (as opposed to a game like Settlers, Carcassone, or a card game like Dominion or San Juan). Or does central imply that there can be side boards, but you need at least one central board tying everything together (similar to how Risk 2210 has the main board and the smaller Moon board).

This challenge sounds really interesting though.

Thanks,

-John

sedjtroll
sedjtroll's picture
"central board" specifics

boylejm wrote:
Hello. I'm new to bgdf, so this is the first GDS I've seen. I have a question on the definition of a "Central Board".

I'm guessing it's as simple as a single, static, gameboard, similar to monopoly, risk, clue, etc (as opposed to a game like Settlers, Carcassone, or a card game like Dominion or San Juan). Or does central imply that there can be side boards, but you need at least one central board tying everything together (similar to how Risk 2210 has the main board and the smaller Moon board).

This challenge sounds really interesting though.

Thanks,

-John

The intention of that part of the challenge is for game action to occur on a central board. This does not preclude side boards or player boards for tracking information. Endeavor is an example of a game with a central board where game action occurs and also player boards for tracking information.

It also does not preclude a board that is random (a la Settlers of Catan) or built during play (a la Carcassonne), although I'd suggest that Carcassonne would be not score well in this contest because, while there is a central board so to speak, there is no game action that occurs on it (just scoring).

In the end it's up to you to interpret the design restrictions, and it's up to the public to vote on it, so if you convince people, then it's all good!

TheMob
TheMob's picture
Really interesting looking

Really interesting looking challenge. I have been looking for BGDF to open again. Looking forward to participate.

brdparker
boylejm wrote:Hello. I'm new

boylejm wrote:
Hello. I'm new to bgdf, so this is the first GDS I've seen.

New to the forum as well, I thought I'd give this month's challenge a try. Unfortunately, I was a little late in November, so I'm looking forward to trying this out.

I suppose first-timers will always have a question or two; mine will be how much of a theme should this game have? I've been working on a game that would fit this challenge, and I could BS a theme, but do I really need to?

ilta
ilta's picture
Personally, I prefer a

Personally, I prefer a pasted-on theme over a pure abstract, all things being equal. I'm just a eurogamer at heart I guess. That's a matter of taste though; I know of some others who would rather see just the mechanics laid bare with no frills.

Beyond matters of taste: done well, a theme helps clarify the game's explanation. On the other hand, you do only have 800 words, and you need to make them count.

Ultimately, I'd say go with your gut.

brdparker
ilta wrote:Personally, I

ilta wrote:
Personally, I prefer a pasted-on theme over a pure abstract, all things being equal. I'm just a eurogamer at heart I guess. That's a matter of taste though; I know of some others who would rather see just the mechanics laid bare with no frills.

Beyond matters of taste: done well, a theme helps clarify the game's explanation. On the other hand, you do only have 800 words, and you need to make them count.

Ultimately, I'd say go with your gut.

Ditto here, I love my Euros, but the 800 words was the reason for the question. Anyway, I'll figure it out. Thanks for the reply.

simons
simons's picture
I'm slightly confused, what

I'm slightly confused, what is a "deduction mechanism"?

sedjtroll
sedjtroll's picture
Deduction

Quote:
what is a "deduction mechanism"?

A significant aspect of the game should make the players figure something out through deduction.

TheMob
TheMob's picture
sedjtroll wrote:Quote:what is

sedjtroll wrote:
Quote:
what is a "deduction mechanism"?

A significant aspect of the game should make the players figure something out through deduction.

Perhaps this helps a bit:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deductive_reasoning (not exactly about games, but somewhat relevant perhaps)

Here's another article:
http://www.thegamesjournal.com/articles/DeductionGames.shtml

Also... deduction doesn't need to be done through a complex series of logic.

A very simple example of deduction could be:

Guy has 2 gems. On red, one blue. He puts one gem in each of his pockets. Then he shows that red gem is in left pockect. By deduction, you come to conclusion that the blue is in right pocket. :)

seo
seo's picture
Not that I want to discourage

Not that I want to discourage the competition, but the GDS idea is that you think of a game based on the challenge, not that you submit a game you've been working on that fits the challenge. Given that there's no prizes involved, and the goal of the whole GDS idea is for it to be an exercise in game design that you need to fulfill in roughly a week, it would make no sense to submit games we already have.

stubert
How do we enter?

The writeup doesn't detail how to get our entries to you.

PM, email, etc..

-stubert

sedjtroll
sedjtroll's picture
Send entries via PM

Please send entries via PM to sedjtroll!

Thanks,
Seth

Jpwoo
Jpwoo's picture
crits!

If this is your first time don't forget to write critiques of all the games after the competition is over. That is the second most important aspect of the GDS or maybe the most important aspect.

I generally prefer a theme on a game, but I have certainly given votes to pure abstracts before, or games that were nearly so.

Mueller
submission woes

I am not certain I understand how a .jpg can be submitted and to which address. Would someone please help?

Thank you.
Mueller

Jpwoo
Jpwoo's picture
I usually just host the jpg

I usually just host the jpg on another site, like board game geek, or flickr, then send the links to the host of the GDS, they then upload them to BGDF and link them into your entry.

If you upload them here at BGDF then people will know what game is yours.

Mueller
Jpwoo wrote:I usually just

Jpwoo wrote:
I usually just host the jpg on another site, like board game geek, or flickr, then send the links to the host of the GDS, they then upload them to BGDF and link them into your entry.

If you upload them here at BGDF then people will know what game is yours.

Thank you, Sir. I am new to many aspects of this site and BGG. I will look into this and hopwfully I can clear this up before the deadline.

sedjtroll
sedjtroll's picture
I'm new too!

I'm new to running the GDS, and as such I will have to figure out how to format everything, so I don't expect to get them all posted today. I'm extending the deadline to midnight tonight, so if you submit by then you are fine. Hopefully the entries will be posted tomorrow for voting to begin!

- Seth

sedjtroll
sedjtroll's picture
sending in graphics

There are 2 options for sending a graphic for your GDS entry. You should NOT post it to the BGDF image gallery, because then people could look and see which entry is yours!

BEST OPTION: Post the graphic to some server, perhaps upload to BGG or something if you don't have your own web space. Then send me a link to that graphic with your submission.

OTHER OPTION: Email me your graphic at sedjtroll@yahoo.com, and MAKE SURE YOU IDENTIFY YOUR GDS ENTRY BY NAME IN THE SUBJECT LINE so I know which game it's for. PLEASE ALSO PUT "JANUARY 2010 GDS ENTRY" in the subject line, so I can find the email amidst all the spam I receive.

Thanks,
Seth

oicu12b12
oicu12b12's picture
How do we vote?

Noobie question: What is the process for casting votes on the recent GDS?

sedjtroll
sedjtroll's picture
oicu12b12 wrote:Noobie

oicu12b12 wrote:
Noobie question: What is the process for casting votes on the recent GDS?
As it says in the news post (see front page), this is the voting format:

Each person has 6 votes to distribute any way they choose among the GDS entries with the following restrictions:

• You may not assign any votes to your own entry!
  • You may not assign more than 3 votes to any single entry.
  • You need not assign all 6 votes.
oicu12b12
oicu12b12's picture
Sorry, let me rephrase...

I should have asked, "how do we cast the votes?" Do we send you a PM, or is there another method?

Thanks,
Matt

Jpwoo
Jpwoo's picture
PM for the votes

PM for the votes

Jpwoo
Jpwoo's picture
grinding away at the

grinding away at the critiques still.

Don't forget to get your votes in!

Jpwoo
Jpwoo's picture
ok my Critiques are written

ok my Critiques are written and my votes are in.

stubert
Critiques

My critiques are done, as well (and my votes are in)...

Just a side note, is 7,713 words too large a post for the system to handle, or should I post each entry's critique separately?

Jpwoo
Jpwoo's picture
don't post them until the

don't post them until the winner is revealed.
Sure you can split them up however it works.

8k words! Wow those are some indepth critiques!

sedjtroll
sedjtroll's picture
stubert wrote:is 7,713 words

stubert wrote:
is 7,713 words too large a post for the system to handle, or should I post each entry's critique separately?

That's a good question! I don't know the answer. You could try it whichever way you like and see how it goes.

stubert
8k words

Well, this month we got a lot of solid entries, and I had some spare time...

and don't worry, I won't compromise the voting...

If it doesn't post I'll post a critique for each entry separately.

Syndicate content

forum | by Dr. Radut