Skip to Content

Comments and Questions on the September 2008 GDS Challenge

9 replies [Last post]
Brykovian
Brykovian's picture

Use this thread to post any comments, questions, or requests for clarification regarding the September 2008 Game Design Showdown Challenge, entitled "Hidden in Public" (found here: http://www.bgdf.com/node/300 ).

Enjoy,
-Bryk

Katherine
Are the images to be saved as

Are the images to be saved as a jpeg file?

Brykovian
Brykovian's picture
shazzaz wrote:Are the images

shazzaz wrote:
Are the images to be saved as a jpeg file?
Images are best saved in an Internet-friendly format: JPEG, GIF or PNG.

If they come in a different format (or if they are overly big, etc.) I will convert them to something more suitable. This may result in a less-pretty image if I do the work ... so it's best to just have it ready-to-go in one of those formats listed.

-Bryk

Gizensha
The hidden criteria: Is that

The hidden criteria: Is that hidden from the players, or from other pieces?

I mean, I presume players, but...

Gogolski
Gogolski's picture
It's not my place to answer,

It's not my place to answer, but I think that either way could surprise me, and either way could seem lame to me. Don't worry, if you hide, people will know that it's hidden...

Cheese!

Brykovian
Brykovian's picture
Gizensha wrote:The hidden

Gizensha wrote:
The hidden criteria: Is that hidden from the players, or from other pieces?

Either. Of course, that would depend on the design.

The important thing is that the game pieces work to hide something. It could be simulating hiding something from pawns/meeples/"little people" on the game board ... or it could actually be hiding something from the view of the players.

Hope that's helpful.

-Bryk

Kactus
More clarification

So for example having cards face down or in the hand of one player and unable to be viewed by the other players... this would count as 'hidden'?

Brykovian
Brykovian's picture
Kactus wrote:So for example

Kactus wrote:
So for example having cards face down or in the hand of one player and unable to be viewed by the other players... this would count as 'hidden'?

Not in-hand -- that's not really hiding something by using game pieces ... but being facedown on the board while being "contained" or "held down" or "hidden" by another piece or pieces, or (for example) being tucked into a special slot in the board would fit.

And while it may fit the technicals of the challenge, I'm hoping to see some more creative takes on this idea beyond using facedown cards.

HTH,
-Bryk

Kactus
I should have read the rules a bit better.

Ok. I had a few ideas and so that rules out one. It was my favourite too :(

But I have other things I can work on for submission. Much more interested to see other people's takes on this :D

Edit: I was going for 'hidden' being a theme of the game rather than a mechanic, not trying to cop out of the requirement that cheaply. I didn't read the restrictions thoroughly enough at the start I think.

Brykovian
Brykovian's picture
Sounds like you're on the

Sounds like you're on the right track. I look forward to seeing (and the other folks' entries too).

btw ... has anyone e-mailed something to me yet? I haven't seen anything on my end. I will send out a confirmation e-mail back to each entrant.

-Bryk

Syndicate content

forum | by Dr. Radut