Due to a recent rash of spam posts here at BGDF, I tried to improve everybody's experience by playing with the CAPTCHA settings. As it turned out, despite it turning into a very annoying hurdle for the regular users of the site, somehow it did not seem to deter spam posters in any way! I apologize for that inconvenience and have turned off the CAPTCHA stuff (I think!)
However, it's given me an amusing idea for the December installment of the Game Design Showdown...
Voting on the Game Design Showdown is now CLOSED!
Congratulations to this months winner, a landslide victory with 9 votes:
Completely Automated Public Test to tell Computers and Humans Apart: Holiday Edition 2076
by James Ryan (williamj35)
Other entries and votes. NOTE: I missed a vote email earlier - this is the corrected tally:
CAPTCHA CAPTURE - 5 votes
It's Beginning to look a lot like Spammas! - 3 votes
Wi$hl!sts - 3 votes
Thanks for playing, have a happy holiday season and I'll see you next year!
December 2010 Game Design Showdown - "It's Time to CAPTCHA that Holiday Spirit!"
Please Read: Details on entering the Game Design Showdown.
Main Design Requirements:
Theme Restriction: This month's showdown entries must feature The Holiday Season, as well as something that all too often is associated with the holidays - Spam! Spam forum and blog posts to be precise.
Mechanics Restriction: This month's Showdown challenges you to use CAPTCHA (alleged protection from spam bots) as a game mechanism. 2 Bonus votes will be awarded if your entry also includes a significant Dexterity element, but it is not a design requirement for this contest.
Please follow the established guidelines for formatting and submission of your entry.
- Submissions: Tuesday, 7-December-2010 through Tuesday, 14-December-2010.
- Voting: Through Sunday, 19-December-2010.
- Voting Format: Each person has 6 votes to distribute any way they choose among the GDS entries with the following restrictions:
- You may not assign any votes to your own entry!
- You may not assign more than 3 votes to any single entry.
- You need not assign all 6 votes.
Comments or Questions: Comments and questions about this Challenge were handled on the Comments Thread.
- CRITIQUES: After voting has closed the entries will be posted for comments and critiques. Post constructive critiques and commentary about the entries to this Challenge in the Critiques Thread
- GDS Details: For more details on how these Game Design Showdown Challenges work, especially the details around the word count and graphics limits, visit the GDS Wiki Page.