Skip to Content

[GDS] December 2011 - "Reindeer Games" - Comments and Questions

8 replies [Last post]
sedjtroll
sedjtroll's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/21/2008

Use this thread for any comments, questions, requests for clarity, etc., regarding the December 2011 Challenge in the Game Design Showdown, entitled "Reindeer Games".

-Seth

Empires
Empires's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/18/2011
Definitely want to enter this one... Just one question though...

Could you give an example of a game with Route Planning and summary of the mechanic?

sedjtroll
sedjtroll's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/21/2008
Empires wrote:Could you give

Empires wrote:
Could you give an example of a game with Route Planning and summary of the mechanic?

A route planning game is pretty much just what it sounds like - a game in which a major concern is planning a route or plotting a course across the board.

There's a somewhat old but very good game called Hansa which is a route planning game.

Oddly, it appears BGG does not list it as a mechanism, and instead has "Route/Network Building" - which I suppose can be similar in many cases, especially where you use the route you build over and over during the game. I'm surprised there's not a dedicated entry for a game about finding a route or path through a set board...

In Hansa (the game linked above) you use "point to point movement" to collect sets of items, but I think of it as route planning because it's mostly about which order you visit the "points," it's about finding an efficient or profitable route from port to port, considering all the restrictions and costs of movement, the rewards involved., and in the case of Hansa, where you leave the boat for the next guy's turn.

So I guess you have a little freedom here - Route Planning = building or finding a route or path from point to point. The game should feature that dynamic prominently :)

Argebie
Argebie's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/31/2011
Route Planning

A more commonly known example I can think of would be Ticket to Ride if I'm on the right track. (No pun intended)

richdurham
richdurham's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/26/2009
Extra Entry; voting exceptions

So I just went on to read and vote the entries for December's GDS, and saw that there was an extra one since yesterday? Was there a technical difficulty?

Also, since there are only (now) three entries, I think the voting by the entrants would need to be modified since your votes must rightfully be for other entries and there are so few. Not as bad as when there were just two, but still...

I suggest the entrants vote with only 5 of their votes; 3 for the one you like the most, and 2 for the other one.
There is the chance of ending with a 3 way tie in this case, but only if none of the entrants agree on a 1st place.

In that case, hurray for everyone!

sedjtroll
sedjtroll's picture
Offline
Joined: 07/21/2008
My bad, guys

richdurham wrote:
So I just went on to read and vote the entries for December's GDS, and saw that there was an extra one since yesterday? Was there a technical difficulty?

Also, since there are only (now) three entries, I think the voting by the entrants would need to be modified since your votes must rightfully be for other entries and there are so few. Not as bad as when there were just two, but still...

I suggest the entrants vote with only 5 of their votes; 3 for the one you like the most, and 2 for the other one.
There is the chance of ending with a 3 way tie in this case, but only if none of the entrants agree on a 1st place.

In that case, hurray for everyone!


Yes, there were technical difficulties... *technically* I forgot to post one of the entries!

My bad. I had not received any votes yet, so hopefully that won't be an issue.

As for voting, hopefully more people will vote than just the entrants! But yeah, it's always a bummer when entry (and voter) turnout is low.

If we had more regular voters we could institute an "entrants do not vote at all" policy, but that's not feasible when the people interested in voting are also the people interested in entering.

The Loneliest Banana
Offline
Joined: 09/06/2011
Sorry about not getting in a submission

This contest hit me straight in the start of finals week. I'll still try to vote though.

PierreNZ
PierreNZ's picture
Offline
Joined: 10/01/2011
missed the deadline :-(

sedjtroll wrote:

As for voting, hopefully more people will vote than just the entrants! But yeah, it's always a bummer when entry (and voter) turnout is low.

Definitely kicking myself on this one, somehow i read the deadline as 15th December and thought "cool we have two weeks for that one" and prioritise other irl projects. Like many people, I guess the end of year is really busy. Still surprised that we have only 3 entries.

I'll probably try to finish up my entry anyway and post it here for review (if any).

richdurham
richdurham's picture
Offline
Joined: 12/26/2009
Just remember to vote!

Fortunately with so few entries, it will be easier for people to read them all and vote!

I remember the February contest...with what was it, 26 entries?

Syndicate content


forum | by Dr. Radut