Skip to Content

[GDS] January 2012 "Back 2 Basics" - Comments and Questions

7 replies [Last post]
sedjtroll
sedjtroll's picture

Use this thread for any comments, questions, requests for clarity, etc., regarding the January 2012 Challenge in the Game Design Showdown, entitled "Back 2 Basics".

-Seth

dobnarr
dobnarr's picture
Art still allowed?

You've changed the nature of the writeup, but it seems like art is still allowed - is that the case?

Personally, I'm going to have less fun with a 200-word blurb than with more complete rules, but it's worth a trial run. When voting, I usually wish I had more information, not less. Just my take on it, though.

Thanks for running it -
Dave

sedjtroll
sedjtroll's picture
I actually edited the

I actually edited the guidelines page to disallow images (though I may have done that incorrectly I suppose).

The idea is to get back to a description rather than game rules. Maybe 200 words is too restrictive, and I'm ok with increasing that limit if people would prefer more space - my intent was to discourage detailed rules and encourage a description of how the game might go.

Any suggestions on accomplishing that in a better way are welcome!

dobnarr
dobnarr's picture
Experiment!

I'm a scientist by training, so experimenting and iterating until you get to a better place fine with me. I think the theme and restrictions are going to provide more of a barrier than the length of rules, though, in any case.

It's tricky, because you're trying to solve two not entirely compatible problems simultaneously - how to get people to enter, and how to get people to vote. The motivations and challenges for each aren't the same for me at all.

sedjtroll
sedjtroll's picture
dobnarr wrote:It's tricky,

dobnarr wrote:
It's tricky, because you're trying to solve two not entirely compatible problems simultaneously - how to get people to enter, and how to get people to vote. The motivations and challenges for each aren't the same for me at all.

Yeah, true.

Quote:
I think the theme and restrictions are going to provide more of a barrier than the length of rules, though, in any case.

Theme and mechanics restriction are a barrier to creating an entry - length of entries seems to be a barrier to reading, understanding, and voting on them.

Pastor_Mora
Pastor_Mora's picture
200-word blurb + 6 votes = OK !

I appreciate going back to the 200-word blurb, my entries actually were more like 800-word blurbs after all. I first saw the GDS more like an enriching (English?) public brainstorm than anything else, but competition turned out to be too serious for my liking. In any case, my entries usually failed misserably in terms of voting so we still need to see what the reception ends up being. Evidently, people submiting entries and voting then were more fond of complete rules (they were good games, really, it was the entry format!!! :P ). Anyways, thanks again Seth for hosting the showdown and I hope to manage to put something together before the deadline.

magic_user
magic_user's picture
Surprise.

That's the one word I have for this month's GDS. I don't visit BGDF daily, but I may have to visit more frequently now. The GDS for January was posted a week earlier than I'm used to (unless my memory is bad - and it may be!), but I did see it in time. I started working on an idea that may or may not have worked out, but I wasn't going to know until the 8th. That was OK, because the entries weren't due until then. Imagine my surprise when I logged in to confirm the parameters for this month on the 7th and saw the entries posted! I guess I will have to work faster next time and get my entry in early. :-)

Sorry, I just wanted to vent a little. I really don't mind, I just wonder what happened? I will do my best to at least vote on the entries this month.

Maybe next month....

Jim C.

sedjtroll
sedjtroll's picture
Sorry for the confusion

I'm sorry, I got a little ahead of myself and posted the entries I'd received last night. If you send me your entry than I'll post it.

Also, I deluded myself and thought the deadline was the 7th for a moment. My bad *blush*

Syndicate content

forum | by Dr. Radut