Skip to Content

[GDS] JANUARY 2014 "Big Ideas in Tiny Packages" Comments and Questions

19 replies [Last post]
richdurham
richdurham's picture

Use this thread for any comments, questions, requests for clarity, etc., regarding the January 2013 Challenge in the Game Design Showdown, entitled ["Big Ideas in Tiny Packages."](http://bgdf.com/node/13776)

-Rich

anonymousmagic
Please pardon my ignorance,

Please pardon my ignorance, but how do fossil fuels and renewable energy sources fit in with the title of the challenge?

wooberg
wooberg's picture
Look at Power Grid

Power Grid fits this theme perfectly so take a look at it if you want a better idea about how the theme can be incorporated. Don't copy the game for the showdown obviously, but it is a great example.

anonymousmagic
wooberg wrote:Power Grid fits

wooberg wrote:
Power Grid fits this theme perfectly so take a look at it if you want a better idea about how the theme can be incorporated. Don't copy the game for the showdown obviously, but it is a great example.
I'm aware of Power Grid and I'm actually doing my best to create something that has little resemblance to it.

What I'm asking is why is the challenge called "Big Ideas in Tiny Packages", when the challenge has nothing to do with packaging?

richdurham
richdurham's picture
Allow me to esplain.

Anonymousmagic, You're on the right idea there by thinking literally. "Tiny packaging" as in a game's packaging. Fitting big ideas (evolution, energy crisises, disease vectors, etc) into a simple, playable experience.

The spirit of this theme is to examine the global issues, controversies, and various proposed solutions surrounding energy. Try to think social conscience and education here more than straight economic simulator.

Clear as mud?

anonymousmagic
Crystal clear.

Crystal clear.

richdurham
richdurham's picture
Weekends are the best time

Sunday comes to a close for many of you, and the week is full of activity. Wouldn't it be easier to do a quick design today rather than the middle of the week?

Entries due on the 8th!

richdurham
richdurham's picture
Entries due today!

This is now Wednesday the 8th, so entries must be in before midnight tonight! We have a lot of competition this month, so if you've been holding off you'd better come up with something "unique" to stand out.

anonymousmagic
What time zone are you

What time zone are you talking about?

richdurham
richdurham's picture
Eastern time. Which is now

Eastern time. Which is now past :)

richdurham
richdurham's picture
Speaking of which

All the entries for this month are posted.

New-comers, You'll notice that at least a couple entries have more a "game flavor" statement than outright rules descriptions. This is perfectly fine and in-line with the GDS. When considering entries such as these it can be difficult to judge as one can't see the mechanics of it all. Look at other facets of the game, such as does it meet the GDS theme? Does it seem like compelling choices can be made? Is the "feel" of the description good enough to get you interested in the game?

For entries with standard rule-sets, you should of course consider the above alongside how the presented mechanics work and flow within the theme of the GDS.

Good luck to all the entrants this month, and happy voting!

richdurham
richdurham's picture
One more entry.

Time zones be what they are, there is one more entry on the list now. That'll teach me to post early. Lucky number 13.

Kroz1776
Voting Question

Can you vote if you didn't submit one?

anonymousmagic
Yes, I've done so several

Yes, I've done so several times. It's just that people who did submit HAVE to vote or have pyrite medals that deduct points. If you feel the urge to vote, you're quite welcome.

Corsaire
Corsaire's picture
Only if you vote for mine. :)

Only if you vote for mine. :)

davidwpa
davidwpa's picture
Newbie question

Hi,

I'm new to this whole challenge thing. What is the criteria used for voting? Is it my own subjectivity or are we supposed to judge entries on certain criteria ideally?

Thanks,

David

baberahamlincoln
Voting

Here's some of the details from the general GDS description.

Unless otherwise stated in the challenge, the entries do not need to be "fully completed and tested" rule sets ... there should be enough of a description, rules, examples, etc., to give other readers a good "feel" for the game ... the extent to which an author wishes to go is up to him -- it will be the voting of the readers that will decide the winner
Voting criteria is as subjective as it gets ... each voter is asked to vote for the "best entry" in his/her eyes -- however he/she wishes to determine that
Keeping that in mind ... be original, be clear, be creative, be entertaining ... this is, essentially, a popularity contest where your ideas, written in words, will be what makes you popular (or not)

Besides that, it seems like everyone has their own way of evaluating the entries. Some people have posted scores based on their own categories - clarity, fun, mechanics, etc. The one thing that everyone seems to apply is whether or not the submission meets the GDS requirements (EDIT - which is hugely subjective), but outside of that, it really seems about whatever floats your boat.

anonymousmagic
While it's not required, I

While it's not required, I feel that people who can not only give a good feel, but also a complete rule set in the limit of 500 words and still get a hugely entertaining and deep game, deserve bonus points for that particular skill. It's very hard to do, so people who can get extra points from me.

richdurham
richdurham's picture
What they said

The above posters nailed the voting "criteria," such as it is.

baberahamlincoln
Comment

I've been spending some quality time reviewing this month's entries. In my opinion, there are a lot of really strong entries this month.

Just sayin'

Syndicate content

forum | by Dr. Radut