Skip to Content

[GDS] JUNE 2014 "The Play's the Thing" Comments and Questions

5 replies [Last post]
richdurham
richdurham's picture

Use this forum thread for asking any questions or commenting on the June 2014 Game Design Showdown.

• Rich
Mr.S
single narative

I have a great board game that has a strong narative and everyone seems to enjoy it. It's probably more vulgar than Cards Against Humanity. UNFORTUNATELY, this months challenge is for the players to share a narative. I guess I'll have come up with a new game.

If your curious, the game is called, "I need an Adult". One player takes on the role of a child walking to school alone for the first time. The other players draw and play cards that tell what happens to that child on their first day of school.
The objective for the story tellers is to get the 'child' to react to the cards played. Usually a loud burst of laughter ends the round. Then the 'child' will retell the story in the first person and move that many spaces towards the school. Optionally, the child's confession can be video taped (as per the rules) and uploaded to Youtube.
There have been two issues with this game so far: Some people take too long to choose a card, which gives the 'child' time to compose theirself. Also, some people are just more stone faced than others.

Anyways, good luck to all. I look forward to your entries.

richdurham
richdurham's picture
Should anyway

I'd hope that you'd be inspired to come up with a new game to meet the challenge, regardless of having made a narrative game in the past.

I'll also say that the intention for this GDS is to get games that tell a story instead of players sharing stories. I'm interested to see what folks come up with.

nazcagames
nazcagames's picture
Torn

I'm really torn about entering this month's showdown. I'm really excited about the premise of this month's challenge and I just now started to come up with some ideas. But I will (most likely) be completely occupied from June 10th til June 15th for the Origins Game Fair. So that only leaves me the 16th to judge all of the entries. I really wish there was one more day for voting :P

If any of you are attending Origins, I'll be at booth #333. Stop by and say 'hi'!

richdurham
richdurham's picture
Enter!

This is a reminder for all people (not just encouragement for NazcaGames) to enter the GDS this month! You've got a few days remaining on the contest (by the 9th) to get your entry in.

Nazcagames - One day is plenty of time to vote!

richdurham
richdurham's picture
Votes end today

Get your votes in by midnight tonight on whatever time zone you're in!

Syndicate content

forum | by Dr. Radut