Skip to Content

[GDS] JUNE 2015 "The enemy of my enemy is also my enemy" Comments and Questions

43 replies [Last post]
Icynova
Wow. This is my first

Wow. This is my first submission, and it sounds like a lot of folks have a lot of ideas. Ah, well. All feedback is good. I agree with everyone else. It will be very interesting to see all the different approaches this month.

ElKobold
ElKobold's picture
The more, the merrier :)

The more, the merrier :)

lonebluewolf
lonebluewolf's picture
I missed last month due to

I missed last month due to midterms, but caught this one in time to whip up something today! This theme was too good to pass up, I'm excited to see how the entries for this one turns out. Especially if there's Boogaloo'ing to do.

Soulfinger
Soulfinger's picture
Sadly a sick wife and taking

Sadly a sick wife and taking my son out to pick up his new pet rat ate up what time I had to try and finish my entry, but I figured I would at least post the intro snippet with a brief summary of the unfinished rules for anyone who is interested. Props to anyone who can spot the blatant references:

POP, LOCK, AND BOOGALOO: THE GAME WITH A PLOT AND A MORAL TOO

For as long as anyone can remember, Snowclone Noah has run the Harmony Mothership Community Center for At Risk Teens, but now an evil developer, Archie De’Void, is threatening to demolish the building to make way for a new senior center for war criminals. Only by winning the neighborhood’s corporate sponsored dance off, can one of the neighborhood’s rival crews hope to save the community center and get the girl.

5 sets of cards. You spin them around on a little cardboard mat, while quoting Grandmaster Flash lyrics or mocking Ice T's cameo in Breakin' 2, and pick a corner for the value like with the Zoon card game. The card image kind of sums it up. Winning a battle scores you turf, and the person with the most turf has the cred they need to face off against De'Void's Team Evil, which is jointly controlled by all of the players who lost out prior to the final battle. Players are competing to win but can choose to sacrifice to ensure that somebody wins that final battle instead of everyone losing and the community center being torn down -- or they can vindictively gang up playing as Team Evil.

Oh well, maybe I'll be able to participate proper-like next time.

TowerWizard
Earlier GDS entries and voting on this one

I am new here and I can't seem to find earlier entries into the GDS. I also would like to vote on June's showdown, and to read any comments on my entry. Clicking on Archives got me to a forum that has not been updated for 9 years? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

ElKobold
ElKobold's picture
TowerWizard wrote:I am new

TowerWizard wrote:
I am new here and I can't seem to find earlier entries into the GDS. I also would like to vote on June's showdown, and to read any comments on my entry. Clicking on Archives got me to a forum that has not been updated for 9 years? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Earlier entries can be found here - http://www.bgdf.com/forum/15

As for voting on this month's entries - they haven't been posted yet. First there's a period for everyone to submit entries, then, after certain amount of time, the entries are posted for voting.

@Submissions: Tuesday the 2nd through to Tuesday the 9th
Voting: Through the 16th. Votes will be through a form (link posted after submission period is ended).@

Read this post for more details: http://www.bgdf.com/forum/game-design/game-design-showdown/gds-june-2015...

richdurham
richdurham's picture
submissions

Hi all - looks like we a good number of new entrants to the GDS this month. Welcome, and good luck.

As the 9th is entering its final hours across the globe, I will be posting the entries in my morning, which will be about 10 PM in Greenwich, UK. Around then -ish.

MarkJindra
MarkJindra's picture
14 Entries!

Good lord 14 entries!

I am going to need a spreadsheet just to figure out which ones I like the most.

debiant
debiant's picture
I also needed a spreadsheet,

I also needed a spreadsheet, if nothing else to remember how I vote this month. There were several really strong entries this month.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this one comes out. I do have a very clear favorite among the entries (besides my own, of course).

Icynova
I used a spreadsheet, too.

I used a spreadsheet, too. I read the entries on the first day, plotted them with comments in a spreadsheet today, and I will sleep on it tonight before deciding on the awards.

I just noticed that the GDS is, itself, a competition where participants must cooperate. Could there be a board-game-designers board game? We could call it, say, the "Game Design Showdown."

Not sure how it would work, but there must be some kind of precedent for it... ;-)

richdurham
richdurham's picture
How very meta :)

How very meta :)

ElKobold
ElKobold's picture
Well, there's Game Dev

Well, there's Game Dev Tycoon. Why not boardgame making boardgame.

wombat929
wombat929's picture
Unpub
Syndicate content

forum | by Dr. Radut