Skip to Content

[GDS] NOVEMBER 2015 "Heirloom Quality" - Critiques

4 replies [Last post]
mindspike
mindspike's picture

We have a winner!

Congrats to markgrafn for "Tithe".

Not many entries this month, but a record number of comparative votes. An intriguing challenge with some very nice components made this one extra tough. Judging by the voting response, there is quite a lot to talk about concerning both the challenge and the entries. Let's get to it!

Game Designer Score Discussion
Tithe markgrafn 21 Oct 20
Tiles of Fortune andymakespasta 15 Oct 22
Tile Deduction andymorris 12 Oct 24
Eagle Eye Arthur Wohlwill 7 Oct 26
markgrafn
markgrafn's picture
WHOO!

Finally won once!

Thanks everyone!

andymakespasta
Congrats. Your entry was by

Congrats. Your entry was by far the strongest.

I really like the scoring mechanism, and the fluid area control. Though I'm wondering if you would care to comment on the purpose of the three pawns and their rules, as this is the part I don't really get.

markgrafn
markgrafn's picture
explanation

andymakespasta wrote:

Though I'm wondering if you would care to comment on the purpose of the three pawns and their rules, as this is the part I don't really get.

The game could probably be played without the pawns. I added them for two reasons.

The first being an added element to the "heirloom" feel. Finely crafted wood components with authentic ebony, ivory and gold pawns sounds pretty awesome.

Secondly, they just add a layer of strategy to the game. Being able to plan ahead and defend certain tiles by keeping the pawns on them. They also give the player more to do or think about during their turn, beyond what action to do?

Thanks!

andymorris
Good job

First off, congratulations markgrafn on a well earned win. I had three clever uses of the tiles and three well written entries to assess. Purely from the perspective of the challenge, I had the same issue with all three. The game is to be displayed, but there's no way to display it. I would have liked to see a board or some sort of special display case. However, that has nothing to do with the merit of the game play. Each sounds like it has plenty of potential. My opinion was that an heirloom game should have some depth to it, so I voted in order of my perception of the depth: Tithe, Tiles of Fortune, Eagle Eye. Good job guys and thanks to everyone who took the time to vote.

Syndicate content

forum | by Dr. Radut