Skip to Content

[GDS] October 2010 "Herculean Task" - Comments and Questions

12 replies [Last post]
sedjtroll
sedjtroll's picture

Use this thread for any comments, questions, requests for clarity, etc., regarding the October 2010 Challenge in the Game Design Showdown, entitled "Herculean Task!".

InvisibleJon
InvisibleJon's picture
Wikipedia entry for the 12 LAbors of Hercules

The wikipedia entry is a useful starting reference / refresher for this month's GDS.
From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labours_of_Hercules

The traditional order of the labours is:

1) Slay the Nemean Lion.
2) Slay the nine-headed Lernaean Hydra.
3) Capture the Golden Hind of Artemis.
4) Capture the Erymanthian Boar.
5) Clean the Augean stables in a single day.
6) Slay the Stymphalian Birds.
7) Capture the Cretan Bull.
8) Steal the Mares of Diomedes.
9) Obtain the girdle of Hippolyta, queen of the Amazons.
10) Obtain the cattle of the monster Geryon.
11) Steal the apples of the Hesperides.
12) Capture and bring back Cerberus.

As a reward for finishing these twelve treacherous tasks, he was given the gift of immortality after his death by Zeus, his father. Hera forgave him and gave him her daughter Hebe for his bride.

ichbin
Little boy instead of Heracles

Hi,

I did not yet decided to participate but having an idea I want some clarifications.
Let us assume that instead of Hercules I intent to "use" in my game a little boy ( approximatively 12 years old) who has to accomplish 12 tasks (tasks about moral values).....
Is it allowed?

sedjtroll
sedjtroll's picture
ichbin wrote:Hi, I did not

ichbin wrote:
Hi,

I did not yet decided to participate but having an idea I want some clarifications.
Let us assume that instead of Hercules I intent to "use" in my game a little boy ( approximatively 12 years old) who has to accomplish 12 tasks (tasks about moral values).....
Is it allowed?

Indeed! Ultimately it's up to the judges (you guys) - if something isn't "on topic" or whatever, then people might not give it any votes. However, I don't think there's anything wrong with taking liberties with respect to who Hercules is exactly (maybe your boy is named Hercules for example, or maybe he's the actual Hercules as a child) or which trials he's in for (Jon listed the classical ones from Wikipedia, but who's to say that's the only possibility here?)

Good luck!

ichbin
Thanks for the clarification

Thank you.

SiddGames
SiddGames's picture
Interesting!

Very interesting GDS this month, I hope I have time to put something together enough to enter.

rcjames14
rcjames14's picture
Members of the Audience

Can you vote even without submitting an entry?

sedjtroll
sedjtroll's picture
rcjames14 wrote:Can you vote

rcjames14 wrote:
Can you vote even without submitting an entry?

Yes. But please don't sabotage the system by voting for your buddy, or when entering by garnering votes for yourself. That defeats the whole purpose of the exercise.

ReneWiersma
ReneWiersma's picture
I'm amazed by the amount of

I'm amazed by the amount of work people put into these GDS entries. All four entries these month seem like games that have even been prototyped and playtested to some amount and a fair amount of work seems to have gone into the graphics as well. Just, wow.

dobnarr
dobnarr's picture
Vote tallies

Could you report the final vote tally? I'd like to know what the numerical results were. I noticed you didn't do that last month, either - do you have a reason for not wanting to?

Thanks,
Dave

sedjtroll
sedjtroll's picture
Vot counts

dobnarr wrote:
Could you report the final vote tally? I'd like to know what the numerical results were. I noticed you didn't do that last month, either - do you have a reason for not wanting to?

Thanks,
Dave

... but then I can't cheat and just choose the winner irrespective of votes!

Just kidding of course :)

Verb The Adjective Noun: 15
The Labors of Herakles: 10
Hercules: the later years: 8
The Twelve Labors: 5

I don't have last months anymore. I don't know if I have a good reason for not posting them, I feel like I don't like it though. Don't know why really. If that's what you guys want then I guess I can post them in the future.

dobnarr
dobnarr's picture
Thanks

Thanks for posting those - I'd rather see the vote tallies because it helps me interpret the results and get a sense of how many people are voting.

Thanks for running these - I really enjoy them.

rcjames14
rcjames14's picture
Community Participation

sedjtroll wrote:
I don't know if I have a good reason for not posting them, I feel like I don't like it though. Don't know why really.

I like having the numbers. It is encouraging to see that at least as many viewers voted as entrants. I'd love to see that ratio rise even higher.

Syndicate content

forum | by Dr. Radut