Skip to Content

[GDS] October 2011 "Rest in Peace" - Coments and Questions

5 replies [Last post]
sedjtroll
sedjtroll's picture

Use this thread for any comments, questions, requests for clarity, etc., regarding the October 2011 Challenge in the Game Design Showdown, entitled "Rest in Peace".

-Seth

Empires
Empires's picture
Uh... What?

I looked at reviews of all three of these games, looked at components and such, and I know how to play Mancala. I do not see any relationship between Rudiger Dorn's games and Mancala. Is the mechanic a "seeding" type like Mancala, or what? Sorry about the outburst, just need some clarification.

sedjtroll
sedjtroll's picture
Empires wrote:I looked at

Empires wrote:
I looked at reviews of all three of these games, looked at components and such, and I know how to play Mancala. I do not see any relationship between Rudiger Dorn's games and Mancala. Is the mechanic a "seeding" type like Mancala, or what? Sorry about the outburst, just need some clarification.

Picking up a group of items, and placing them down 1 at a time in adjacent locations - that's how Mancala works, and that's basically how the Dorn Tower works as well...

In Goa the places you 're allowed to place your bidding token follow that rule (adjacent to the last one placed), in Genoa the movement of the Tower follows that rule as well (you move the tower 1 space at a time, dropping off a disc each step) - that's where the term "Dorn Tower" comes from. In Louis XIV when placing influence you start on the tile indicated, then move to adjacent tiles leaving (at least) 1 maker on each tile as you go.

Hopefully that helps describe it!

pelle
pelle's picture
That helped a bit, but I hope

That helped a bit, but I hope it will be accepted by voters if the mechanics are a bit different from the typical Dorn Tower, as I am also not familiar with any of those games (except for Mancala, known as Kalaha here, or at least marketed under that name when I was a kid).

sedjtroll
sedjtroll's picture
pelle wrote:That helped a

pelle wrote:
That helped a bit, but I hope it will be accepted by voters if the mechanics are a bit different from the typical Dorn Tower, as I am also not familiar with any of those games (except for Mancala, known as Kalaha here, or at least marketed under that name when I was a kid).

Indeed, as this its the only Mechanical restriction, I expect to see a variety of interpretations on how exactly to implement the Dorn Tower. If you notice from the games I linked, the mechanism works a little bit differently in each of Dorn's games.

abcdefghijklmno...
Claim your game to fame

Please, could you tell me who has designed the following games:

* Charon’s quadrate lake
* Zombie Shuffle
* Attack of the Mutant Moss from Outer Space!
* Dorn Bones

I love everything which even distantly reminds me of mancala.

Syndicate content

forum | by Dr. Radut