Skip to Content

[GDS] OCTOBER 2015 "A Game for Everyone" - Critiques

28 replies [Last post]
mindspike
mindspike's picture

We have a winner!

Congrats to AndrewUBaker for "Magic Trick".

As hardcore gamers we tend to take to complicated games far more easily than the masses. We look for themes in our games and demand a story in addition to engrossing game play. It's easy to forget that for the unwashed masses, gaming is primarily a social event where you just happen to be tossing cards around. Well done, designers, and thanks for contributing this month!

Game Designer Score Discussion
Magic Trick AndrewUBaker 14 Oct 19
Don't Count Your Chickens mrmatthew 12 Oct 20
Rockfall gilamonster 10 Oct 21
Primordial Solitary Flix 8 Oct 22
Holy Chompers! Hook 7 Oct 23
Fall Fair andymorris 7 Oct 24
Divide by Pie andymakespasta 6 Oct 25
Storm Chasers fairway3games 6 Oct 26
Going Crazy! markgrafn 5 Oct 27
Student Council 537h 5 Oct 28
Vacation Arthur Wohlwill 5 Oct 29
The Mystery Guest jewellgames 4 Oct 30
Ruling Houses Casamyr 1 Oct 31
andymakespasta
Such a tough choice this

Such a tough choice this week. So many interesting mechanics and choices.

Congrats to Magic Trick for emerging on top.

The game is almost total information, so you can strongly infer what choices your opponent has. The game also uses the neat mechanic of being able to choose the rules. Finally, since cards are handed out from the start, the card used to affect the rules comes from your playing hand, which is something I haven't seen before.
And the game ties it together rather elegantly.

Questions:
when does the bidding happen? How does it work?
when scoring, do you have to apply all the rules that affect scoring? If so, how do the rules blend?

AndrewUBaker
AndrewUBaker's picture
Wow, what a surprise!

Thank you so much, everyone. I completely did not expect this. I think I hit on a good theme, but the game mechanics and the brevity of the rules rely on a fairly broad knowledge of trick taking games.

>> when does the bidding happen? How does it work?
Bidding is single-round, number only. It would happen immediately after the bidding rule card was revealed.

>> when scoring, do you have to apply all the rules that affect scoring? If so, how do the rules blend?
Yes, all rules, if possible. Some rules such as "Oh, Dickens!" (adapted from the game "Oh, Hell!", which requires an exact bid to score, and "Heart Break", which score negative might seem to cancel out. However, how I interpret this would be that you score the negatives even if you miss your bid. If you hit the bid, you would get the normal amount of points from a trick to offset the -2 score penalty.
When I put together the finalized PnP, I will likely include a matrix to clarify each combination.

Hook
Hook's picture
Congrats

Congratulations Andrew! :)

Personally I gave up on getting the full picture of your trick game - I have to read it again :--D

@Mindspike - why can't we see the medal distribution on your list this month ?

JewellGames
JewellGames's picture
Grats to the winners. I think

Grats to the winners. I think the top 3 were same order I voted them in. I picked the winner because it's a universal theme but it did leave some rules a little vague and I'd need to see all of the card effects in play to determine balance.

My game bombed, but was fun to come up with and write in 30 min lol.

andymorris
Congratulations

Nice work on the win. I voted silver for this entry. I love the word play in the title. I love the setup so that each hand is "magically" different. You did well to make a trick taking game that works for 2 players. I like most of the card variations, but I felt some may be a hare too complex. However, ultimately playtesting will sort that out. You could also consider varying who leads first and including some that allow a player to call trump. Great job.

Flix
Flix's picture
Congrats AndrewUBaker!!

I didn't vote for the Magic Trick , also I got a little lost in the rules . But now that I have re-read it , seems very interesting , we are gonna play it this weekend for sure :D

andymakespasta
andymorris wrote:hare too

Magic Trick was in my final choices, but I didn't give it a medal in the end. There were just too many possibly fun games, but it's sort of hard to tell which would actually work in practice.

andymorris wrote:
hare too complex.

Go jump off a cliff.

AndrewUBaker
AndrewUBaker's picture
The rules will have to

The rules will have to specify that dealer alternates.

Another thing is the balance/complexity: I really need to find a group of experienced and enthusiastic players of trick taking games to serve as playtesters.

Is "Don't Count Your Chickens" going to get a PnP? I want to try that one out. I like the bidding mechanic. It has some of the challenge of the currency bidding in High Society, but being able to refresh your currency is a nice twist.

I'm going to have to troll the local craft store to see if they have pentagonal tiles to make my own Rockfall.

andymorris
Thoughts on Don't Count you Chickens

I think the theme was a great choice and the title is right on. I think the bidding mechanic would work really well. However, it did not provide any examples for the actions or special rules and given the requirement to fully explain things this month, I did not vote for this one. Overall it sounds like a fun idea. I hope some of those actions involve eggs breaking. Nice work.

andymorris
Thoughts on Primordial Solitaire

First off, personally, I didn't feel a solitaire game hit at the essence of this challenge, so I did not consider it for a medal. As for the game, I like the formula of a simple action with a couple of basic restrictions, so that it's no so easy in the end. I like the rainbow order matched with the numbers. I wasn't quite clear on how the rps element fit in. I think it needs a clear win/loss goal rather than just have as few cards as possible left.

Flix
Flix's picture
Primordial Solitary

Thanks for reading the rules Andymorris. I just presented this design because it has no theme at all and people of all ages can played , no matter their likes.
And about the goal win/lose , it can be think that if you discard any card you lose , but there are many odds to get all the cards in the tapestry , there is the ability of the player to see the pattern but also can be unlucky to draw an impossible card to get into the tapestry. For me the goal is to finish the tapestry , not stop playing when the player can not place a card. If a player do not place every card , then the player can beat himself playing again :)

Also I would like to attach the link to the PnP of the deck .
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/123000/pnp-duelo-primigenio-deck

And I made a gameplay in youtube . I am speaking spanish , but you can see through the video how the cards are placed and the tapestry built.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HteXBx69BmI

Again thanks for the feedback andymorris . I am looking for this kind of feedback to improve the games of this deck :D

mrmatthew
mrmatthew's picture
Apologies and Thanks

Hey everyone! First, I wanted to apologize that I did not participate in the voting for this. This was my first entry to one of these, and it just slipped my mind. I'm sure I was penalized for this, and rightly so. In the future, if I enter these, I will make sure to come back for the voting and critiques.

Second, thank you for the kind words about my game. I have been playtesting it pretty vigorously in the past couple weeks and it has already begun evolving into a different game. I will definitely make it available for PnP in the future, as I'll be looking for more feedback, but I don't think it's quite ready for that at the moment.

Thanks again, and congratulations to the winner!

Hook
Hook's picture
Not much I can say

I haven't said much because I did not vote for any on the top of the list. And in my notes it's just blank and ehh. But Rockfall I did like very much. I thought it was a simple and cool game. It seems to have quite a lot of luck involved -but it sounds fun. I am wondering if it was an action (like moving) to get gold when you are near it?

Guess im more into the simpler more adventurous theemes. :-)

andymorris
Thoughts on Rockfall

The game sounds interesting. I like the use of pentagons. I did not vote for it as I felt the mechanics weren't quite simple enough. With the different phases, actions and tiles it made for a bit too much to remember. Also, I feel like having miners dying in a collapsed mine could turn some people off (although it is a good inclusion relative to the gameplay). Overall, definitely a solid idea with potential just not as a "game for everyone".

andymorris
Thoughts on Chompers

I actually can't decide what I think of this one. The idea of a game based on trying to see how much candy you can eat without your teeth falling out is funny, so I want to like it. However, the game feels like it might be a bit fiddly and the description left a number of things for us to presume how they work. I feel like it should be able to be worked into a nice family game, but not quite there as a broad reaching game.

Hook
Hook's picture
Fall fair

Thanks. I agree that Chompers might be a little too fiddly. What I really like myself was the idea that you get Tooth meeples. Well i'd still like to hear others opinions on it.

Fall fait got my gold because i saw a lot of potential to a family game. It's a great theme - guess it is a matter of selecting which rides giver you the most points. I think it is great. It could be fun if it was a bonus to take a slow ride after a fast one or. bonus to get all three dragon rides.. or some interaction with the others. But a wonderful theme.

I also liked Divide by Pie- fun and seems like a smart gameplay..

Storm chasers also got my vote.. great with teamwork,. great idea. For gameplay im missing a little more "storm" . The wild and dangerous side to chasing storms..

Hook
Hook's picture
Fall fair

Thanks. I agree that Chompers might be a little too fiddly. What I really like myself was the idea that you get Tooth meeples. Well i'd still like to hear others opinions on it.

Fall fait got my gold because i saw a lot of potential to a family game. It's a great theme - guess it is a matter of selecting which rides giver you the most points. I think it is great. It could be fun if it was a bonus to take a slow ride after a fast one or. bonus to get all three dragon rides.. or some interaction with the others. But a wonderful theme.

Storm chasers also got my vote.. great with teamwork,. great idea. For gameplay im missing a little more "storm" . The wild and dangerous side to chasing storms..

Hook
Hook's picture
Fall fair

andymorris
Thoughts on Divide by Pie

I think there's potential for some funny interaction as people are fighting over pie. I like where you're going with the concept. I don't think I'm quite clear on the pie shares. I think a pie party needs more than one pie and it'd be nice if the pies could be represented by something pie piece shaped. I realize that's a challenge, but a pile of tokens doesn't really make me think of piece of pie. I'm not sure what you could do if you to be able to separate the pieces. If you just want to show the different size of the pieces, I think you could do something with putting small divider lines on a circle. You could have notches around the circumference to hold them in place.

andymorris
Thoughts on Storm Chasers

My challenge with this one is that there weren't enough examples of the actions and objectives to get a good feel for it. Standing the cards up is a nice idea and so is playing in teams. The preamble made me think there should be an array of cards face down representing the storm that are flip over as players approach the storm. These could give things like wind speeds or volume of rain or hail. Anyway it's a nice call as far as theme.

gilamonster
Belated thanks to AndyMorris,

Belated thanks to AndyMorris, AndrewUBaker and Hook for your kind comments on Rockfall. On the question of whether getting gold takes an action: no, at present, points from occupied gold tiles are scored as soon as a closed loop is formed (I have yet to playtest this, though!) I did consider that maybe miners getting killed might be considered a little macabre for a family-game: more squeamish players may find it more comfortable to consider the point-penalty for trapped miners at the game end to be the cost of mounting a rescue-attempt.

I can provide crude-but-usable A4 pdfs to print out for the pentagonal tiles if anyone wants them, but it is pretty easy to make your own using vector-based graphics software like inkscape, (which is free).

andymorris
Thoughts on Crazy!

I voted bronze for this one. I think it did a great job of hitting the essence of the challenge with an approachable theme and really simple mechanics. I like the exclamation point idea. I don't think you need separate crazy cards. In other words, just deal everyone two cards face up plus a hand of five cards. I think the effects need to revolve a little more around the face up cards. Since the object is to get rid of them, there should be lots of action surrounding them. Nice job.

andymorris
Thoughts on Student Council

I was compelled by the opening. I thought it might be a top contender. However, I didn't really like the envelopes. To me, something about it felt unduly complicated for what you're going for. I could be wrong and maybe it would really well, it just didn't fit for me.

andymorris
Thoughts on Vacation

I like that the goal is to have the least money. I didn't like that family members all go to different places. Maybe you could have more family members and they get allocated in at least pairs. As the goal is to have the most lavished vacation, it'd be nice if there was an element of trying squeeze a bunch of stuff in. Something where you pick a bunch of things to do, but there's a chance you don't get them all in.

andymorris
Thoughts on Mystery Guest

This one got my gold. I thought it was truest to the essence of simple mechanics and approachable theme. I also think it would be quick and fun. I like that you are forced when to guess. Nice job.

Flix
Flix's picture
Student Council , my favorite

I thought this was the game that will win :o
I like this game overall ,because of the mechanic of votes , very very original.I dont know any game that uses it.
I have to try this kind of mechanic in some of the future games I would like to design.

andymorris
Thoughts on Ruling Houses

When you said it was a game that uses a full 52 cards I was expected it to use a standard deck. I think it would actually be better suited (no pun intended) to using a standard deck. I feel like having to constantly read what every card does would cause the game to drag more than it ought. I like the core idea of each player trying to collect a full suit. I think the mechanic of forcing you to play a card for someone else is a really good fit for a game aimed at a broad audience. I say make the kings do what you have the princes for and then pick a couple simple effects. Something like everyone passes a left when a black card is played.

Hook
Hook's picture
Last games was the best imo :-D

Funnily the games I liked the most this month ended low on the list.

Mystery guess: Great theme - Miss some special guest effects. I think it will be hard to be the first one guessing.. so everyone will wait playing their last pair ? I liked the idea but a bit unsure if it would be work.

Going crazy: Good theme idea. I was a bit unsure how you actually got rid of the crazy cards in front of you (except that one card effect Hot Cofee.)

Ruling Houses: I like this one - and I was very close giving it a medal..I could see it work and I really liked the idea.

Vacation. This one got my silver. It seems a bit random where you put the different family members. you can use grandma on expensive sites but you can't see where other players placed who and where. if the family was tokens played upside down . I like the fact that you can play one concede or one fight on each round. I think a great add-on would be the sites have different effects if you win or lose. e.g. loose the Museum and take an extra fight for the check card. or someting. I could really see some fun art for this game :-)

Syndicate content

forum | by Dr. Radut