Skip to Content

Holiday Challenge 2010

2 replies [Last post]
MarkKreitler
MarkKreitler's picture

Happy Holidays everyone!

I'm issuing a friendly challenge to everyone who, like me, is tired of buying and getting too many things and wishes the season was more about sharing fun with friends and family.

In a nutshell:

-- By this time next year, have attractive, playable, self-made games for one or more people on your "holiday gifts" list.

In my case, I will try to make 1 game each for my daughter (5), my son (7), and my wife (age withheld by her request).

-- Furthermore, it would be great if people published as many notes as possible about their games' development on this site in their Game Journal and uploaded playable prototypes whenever possible.

This isn't an official challenge. It's more of an agreement between like-minded designers to help each other reach our goals and reclaim some holiday spirit.

Anyone game?

Dralius
Dralius's picture
I am and im not.

I am and im not.

My wife sees plenty of my handmade games year around. What she has asked for is a Published copy of one of them. This I am diligently working on. I have no children but they would be in the same boat if I did and I can’t think of any members of my family that might be happy to get a handmade game.

What I have been thinking of doing is coming up with a simple children’s game which I could produce in reasonable quantities and cheaply to give out for Halloween in addition to the candy. My main sticking point is finding a game that children of the widest possible age range might enjoy. If I do finally embark on this project you can be certain i will write about in my blog.

MarkKreitler
MarkKreitler's picture
A Halloween "treat" game is a

A Halloween "treat" game is a fantastic idea. In fact, that's got such a great set of limitations it might make for an interesting Design Showdown.
In fact, your project is so interesting I'd gladly re-parameterize the challenge above to:

"complete one or more projects for a holiday or other special occasion in lieu of or an addition to 'just buying the usual stuff' and track the project in your online log."

Speaking of which, I'm noodling a couple of designs and should start log entries for them...

Syndicate content

forum | by Dr. Radut