Skip to Content

Need a name for a role

11 replies [Last post]
questccg
questccg's picture
Online
Joined: 04/16/2011

Hi all,

Currently I am playtesting my *new* game "Tradewars - Homeworld". So far testing has been good... However while playing, I have been *tempted* into browsing upgrade cards (before buying them).

So I thought that this could be a NEW role.

Let me explain, my game has roles:
-Monarch: +2 cards
-Fleet Admiral: command up to 4 starships
-Captain: command 1 starship and +1 card
-Officer: Bypass an upgrade
-Soldier: Sabotage an opponent's upgrade
-Engineer: Recycle up to 2 cards from your hand
-???: Preview up to 3 cards in a pile.

I need a NAME for the role that will be able to *preview* cards before buying them.

Anybody have any ideas?

MoldtDK
MoldtDK's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/19/2013
Not knowing anything except

Not knowing anything except what you wrote here I'll add a few suggestions and the reason why I suggest them.

Elder: With much life experience this person might be exceptionally good at finding the right things

Royal/Imperial/State Advisor: As it seems like military in some way, maybe an advisor is someone seeking much information to give the best possible advise.

Requsitions Officer: Again as this sound like something with military then an officer who is not a combat soldier might be more skilled in getting just the right thing.

Oracle/High Priest: Maybe divine guidance in case your game has some form of religious aspect.

That's what I can come up with based on the information given.

questccg
questccg's picture
Online
Joined: 04/16/2011
Presenting the *Chancellor*

MoldtDK wrote:
Royal/Imperial/State Advisor: As it seems like military in some way, maybe an advisor is someone seeking much information to give the best possible advise...

I liked that idea... So I did some searching and came up with *Chancellor*.

BUT the thing is that I am questioning the role of the Chancellor... I think it would be too powerful to just browse cards in the *buy* piles (DBG). You already have an "Officer" role that allows you to skip a card without buying it.

I will see in future playtesting: if players want the role, then we can playtest with it. Otherwise I will not include the role... However it is good to know that I have a fitting title for the role.

Many thanks, you lead me in the right direction!

DannKriss
Offline
Joined: 06/17/2010
questccg wrote: BUT the thing

questccg wrote:

BUT the thing is that I am questioning the role of the Chancellor... I think it would be too powerful to just browse cards in the *buy* piles (DBG). You already have an "Officer" role that allows you to skip a card without buying it.

I will see in future playtesting: if players want the role, then we can playtest with it. Otherwise I will not include the role... However it is good to know that I have a fitting title for the role.

That sounds pretty cool! Chancellor is nice. I'll just throw out a suggestion, maybe you'll like it, maybe not, but it never hurts to throw stuff at the wall to see what sticks, right? What about Merchant, or Merchant Trader, or Offworld Trader?

Also, the main reason I was writing was to remind you not to forget the power and appeal of 'promo cards'. As a gamer, I always LOVE promo cards, and many times they can be slightly more powerful or useful than the standard cards, as long as they don't simply replace a card with something better and don't upset the balance. Maybe your 'Chancellor' would make a good promotional card to give out at conventions, or with early pre-orders, etc. Just a thought! :)

Best of luck!
~Dann

MoldtDK
MoldtDK's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/19/2013
Well there still is a lot of

Well there still is a lot of difference in the Officer and the Chancellor as far as I see it.

The Chancellor can pick up 3 cards and chose between them as he pleases.

The Officer can skip a card meaning that he is stuck with the second choice for better or worse I suppose.

If you fear that this becomes too powerful then you can always add something to make this less attractive. Maybe a Chancellor, being a political figure, is always surrounded by media and thus he must show ALL the cards he draw so that the other players will know what he draw if he uses his special ability.

Maybe the disadvantage is that in order to draw three cards is that he must discard as many cards as he wish to draw. So up to three cards that he would have to get rid of and in the end it could mean 3 great cards or that he got nothing and instead maybe lost cards he didn't really want to lose.

questccg
questccg's picture
Online
Joined: 04/16/2011
More thinking to do... (or tinkering)

MoldtDK wrote:
Well there still is a lot of difference in the Officer and the Chancellor as far as I see it.

The Chancellor can pick up 3 cards and chose between them as he pleases.

The Officer can skip a card meaning that he is stuck with the second choice for better or worse I suppose.

The Officer can decide when skipping if the card goes to the middle or bottom of that pile. The game (currently) has 4 piles (I'm thinking about a 5th one - maybe as an expansion).

Your 4 piles are (15 cards each):
-Starship Shipyard = Starship models/plans
-Military Academy = Crews
-Engineering Plant = Weaponry
-Operation Central = Outworld missions

So the main problem is that the piles are not too big (15 cards each). Allowing a player to browse 3 cards, that's like seeing 20% of the cards in that pile. That is why I am unsure about this role...

MoldtDK wrote:
If you fear that this becomes too powerful then you can always add something to make this less attractive. Maybe a Chancellor, being a political figure, is always surrounded by media and thus he must show ALL the cards he draw so that the other players will know what he draw if he uses his special ability.

You're on to something... Maybe unlike the *Engineer* who can recycle up to 2 cards from your hand, maybe the Chancellor requires that you MUST recycle 1 card from your hand. This gives VALUE to cards with only 1 qS (quickSilver = money): you can recycle them with the use of the Chancellor as payment...

Still a work-in-progress though. I need to think about it further...

Markus Hagenauer
Offline
Joined: 12/04/2009
For me this would be a

For me this would be a Navigator or a Supply Officer.

Knicksen
Knicksen's picture
Offline
Joined: 05/18/2011
Scientist...

...or Researcher as a role / name?

If the ability is too powerful, then I agree, add a penalty. Research needs resources - can there be a cost for this ability?

Just my quick tuppenceworth.

questccg
questccg's picture
Online
Joined: 04/16/2011
There can be whatever works! :)

Knicksen wrote:
Research needs resources - can there be a cost for this ability?

Sure - anything is possible. It could be you need to recycle cards or discard cards by # of cards or value of cards.

Examples:
recycle up to 2 cards in your hand or recycle up to 5 qS (quickSilver) from your hand.

So you have 2 variants, one for *number of cards*, the other for *value of cards*.

Revealing or showing cards from your hand is not really relevant - BUT forcing a player to discard certain cards (as stated above) could work. This could be like the *Militia* card in Dominion.

Jim@TheMathGym
Jim@TheMathGym's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/19/2013
What about either a Scout,

What about either a Scout, Spy, or Intelligence Officer? Maybe their ability doesn't just extend to looking at upcoming cards, but also their opponents cards? I might suggest lowering the number of cards one could look at from 3 to either 2 or 1 in order to keep this role from becoming too powerful. Maybe there is a die roll to determine if the espionage or scouting of an opponents card(s) was successful, with a really poor roll (critical failure) resulting in the person being "caught" and thereby losing a turn, and a really great roll (critical hit) resulting in the ability to see an extra card and/or possibly gaining the ability to spy on another player on the same turn.

Mike Atencio
Offline
Joined: 07/04/2013
Name for cards

Ensign comes to mind, Ensign First class, second class etc.

Procylon
Offline
Joined: 06/27/2012
Scout.

Scout.

Syndicate content


forum | by Dr. Radut