Skip to Content

What info to put on box for USA?

13 replies [Last post]
boardgameguru
Offline
Joined: 05/11/2009

Laws in each country are a pain.

Europe needs product testing certificates, warning labels on boxes and all sorts.

Apparently in USA you do not need product testing certificates if you put on the box for over ages 8 years old.

I want to ask toe forum what information do you need to put on board game boxes exactly to sell in USA?

Like contact email, website (Do I need a website to sell board games on Amazon in USA?), my name?, as I dont have company name.

Please tell me all what I need to put on the box top an bottom for USA selling as I am trying to do a little production run in China with what little money I have to try and make some profit then double up production runs all the time.

Thanks

I Will Never Gr...
I Will Never Grow Up Gaming's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/23/2015
Give this blog post a read.

Give this blog post a read. It's not legal advice, but it's pretty simple to follow and provides a LOT of info on packaging your game for sale.

http://www.leagueofgamemakers.com/packaging-your-game-so-stores-can-ykno...

CE information is for Europe
A UPC/Barcode is essential for larger retail
A product code is essential for Amazon

Essentially, what you want on the box is the title, designer, publisher (if any), made in XXX, copyright, Play Time, # of Players, Age X+ and of course some flashy art including the game in some sort of setup state and info about the game. Possibly even a list of components.

boardgameguru
Offline
Joined: 05/11/2009
Box

Alright

Excellent

I have Trademark too

So should I put my name on as I do not have a registered game company or Logo? As I said I am individual trader or will be

I Will Never Gr...
I Will Never Grow Up Gaming's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/23/2015
boardgameguru wrote:Alright

boardgameguru wrote:
Alright

Excellent

I have Trademark too

So should I put my name on as I do not have a registered game company or Logo? As I said I am individual trader or will be

I would suggest doing a google image search for "boardgame box back" and seeing what others have included.

There's no universal standard. If you have the basic requirements covered for your preferred selling method you should be good (for example, Amazon requires an ISBN/Product Code if I remember correctly, while many retailers and distributers require a UPC/Barcode, etc).

In your case, if you're not selling outside of North America the most basic info I would include is;

Game Name (tm)
Copyright (year) Your Name
Made in (country)
UPC (these can be purchased very inexpensively from EZUPC.com)
Product Code (a letter-number combo that you create to identify your product when not using the UPC/barcode and for stock listings)

Many will also include their city/state/zipcode

boardgameguru
Offline
Joined: 05/11/2009
Gooo

I have done numerous searches but it still is boggling especially when your sole trader and actually not living in USA too.

Most are companies names and limited etc.

I do not want to be a company.

HMM well is GS1 better than EZUPC for UPC codes?

Thanks anyway for reply and I will look at EZUPC

I am actually wondering if I could sell in USA and Amazon if I only have a Trademark in UK?

Ah yes. Then there is the case of safety test certificates.

boardgameguru
Offline
Joined: 05/11/2009
Quote good or bad?

I had a quote for 500 sets of a game with a small board, 150 double side cards, 2xpunch out token boards, the box (Exploding Kittens size) and rules sheet A3 size

Quote was for $6.78 per unit.

Is this too much you think?

questccg
questccg's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/16/2011
Good deal.

boardgameguru wrote:
Quote was for $6.78 per unit. Is this too much you think?

Only if you feel like a RETAIL price point of $34 USD is too high for your game...

MSRP = 5x cost to produce and ship (freight - not to backers).

But if you are Kickstarting the game, you can offer Backers a break and charge $29 USD ($5.00 discount) and maybe offer FREE shipping to certain destinations like USA, Canada, Germany and UK.

If you do something like this - I think it's an attractive price point for a Kickstarter. You do have 150 cards. At "The Game Crafter" (TGC) that alone would have cost $15 USD.

The only thing to consider is cost of FREIGHT. Is this everything including shipping to your door/warehouse? Or is it FOB?? And you need to take care of shipping details.

boardgameguru
Offline
Joined: 05/11/2009
They very vague about freight

They very vague about freight and just said it would be in the hundreds of dollars. By the way this box quote is for only exploding Kittens size

questccg wrote:
boardgameguru wrote:
Quote was for $6.78 per unit. Is this too much you think?

Only if you feel like a RETAIL price point of $34 USD is too high for your game...

MSRP = 5x cost to produce and ship (freight - not to backers).

But if you are Kickstarting the game, you can offer Backers a break and charge $29 USD ($5.00 discount) and maybe offer FREE shipping to certain destinations like USA, Canada, Germany and UK.

If you do something like this - I think it's an attractive price point for a Kickstarter. You do have 150 cards. At "The Game Crafter" (TGC) that alone would have cost $15 USD.

The only thing to consider is cost of FREIGHT. Is this everything including shipping to your door/warehouse? Or is it FOB?? And you need to take care of shipping details.

questccg
questccg's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/16/2011
FOB probably

boardgameguru wrote:
They very vague about freight and just said it would be in the hundreds of dollars. By the way this box quote is for only exploding Kittens size...

I'm not worried about the type of box... But shipping and your quote for making the game should say if it's FOB and that means the company that manufactures the game will deliver the "games" to a port.

From there you have to arrange your own shipping in addition to specifying the destination port and arrange for ground shipping from the destination port to your home (or warehouse).

See all of THAT ^... It's EXTRA and normally not covered in the price of a manufacturer's quote. I have no clue about HOW to deal with things like this... That's why I let my publisher worry about those details.

I guess it's some kind of logistics company and you need to pay for brokerage fees too once the merchandise arrives at the destination port. Again more $$$.

So being "vague" about shipping - is a problem. If it's FOB - it's all YOUR responsibility to find someone to handle all the shipping details.

And that to me is a mystery... Maybe another designer might have some experience in the SHIPPING/FREIGHT area...

boardgameguru
Offline
Joined: 05/11/2009
Ning

It is Ningbo Lijia

I will ask about FOB or all inclusive agent that handles Logistics transport delivery too.

boardgameguru
Offline
Joined: 05/11/2009
FOB

Well they said FOB quote.

I have a few more questions.

IF I made the game and Trademarked in 1988 then I put Trademark 1988 obviously but do I put Copyright 1988 on back of box or now like Copyright 2017?

Thanks

questccg
questccg's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/16/2011
Do the verification FIRST.

boardgameguru wrote:
Well they said FOB quote.

That means you need to hire a Logistics company to handle all the shipping details including port brokerage fees.

boardgameguru wrote:
IF I made the game and Trademarked in 1988 then I put Trademark 1988 obviously but do I put Copyright 1988 on back of box or now like Copyright 2017?

It depends if the Trademark is still in effect. I don't know where you are situated but in the USA, I believe you have to pay a maintenance fee per a specific schedule and they will the preserve your Trademark.

If it's still "in effect", you should put "Copyright (C) 2017. All Rights Reserved."

But you need to make certain that the Trademark is still active.

Cheers.

boardgameguru
Offline
Joined: 05/11/2009
Trademark etc.

No I am in UK

And the Trademark was actually only registered for UK.

Actually I was thinking of shipping it to Amazon warehouse in USA.

That is when I sort out Amazon Brand Registry as apparently I need a UPC code but if I am Amazon brand registered I do not need one according to various Youtube videos.

questccg wrote:
boardgameguru wrote:
Well they said FOB quote.

That means you need to hire a Logistics company to handle all the shipping details including port brokerage fees.

boardgameguru wrote:
IF I made the game and Trademarked in 1988 then I put Trademark 1988 obviously but do I put Copyright 1988 on back of box or now like Copyright 2017?

It depends if the Trademark is still in effect. I don't know where you are situated but in the USA, I believe you have to pay a maintenance fee per a specific schedule and they will the preserve your Trademark.

If it's still "in effect", you should put "Copyright (C) 2017. All Rights Reserved."

But you need to make certain that the Trademark is still active.

Cheers.

questccg
questccg's picture
Offline
Joined: 04/16/2011
Other comments

boardgameguru wrote:
No I am in UK

And the Trademark was actually only registered for UK.

Then just use "Copyright 2018 (C). All Rights Reserved..." As this is a general copyright notice to any form of "Creative" content which under law is protected.

Otherwise I think you would need to put something like "{trademark}(TM)" and add that to the Copyright notice. Not 100% certain about the "syntax" but it's something like that.

I use "Quest Adventure Cards(tm)" as my trademark for Quest. But I am in Canada - and the laws may differ from USA to Canada to UK. What you need is either: A> A good accountant who can help you out (they usually know all kinds of business matters) or B> Trademark lawyer who can give you the specifics for each country.

I'm neither so I can only explain what I have done in my country - which serves you no real purpose - because you need it for the USA and UK.

Also the "Barcode" (UPC) you should get one if trying to fulfill via Amazon. Don't look for exceptions like "under the following category, if I have this relationship with Amazon, etc. I don't need a Barcode (UPC)". Get the barcode and slap it onto the game. Everywhere you go, products have a UPC (barcode) to differentiate themselves.

If you plan to sell a game - you'll need one too. Unless you plan to sell ONLY via your OWN personal website and say a Kickstarter. Otherwise stores, warehouses, fulfillment centres, etc. will all require you to have a barcode (UPC). They also use it to SCAN the product at "receiving" too and make inventory adjustments according to the number of units...

Syndicate content


forum | by Dr. Radut