The Game Crafter is pleased to announce the RPG Challenge! We want you to design a role-playing game in the form of a board or card game. It doesn't matter whether you build a dungeon crawler like Descent, or more of a story telling game like Betrayal at House on the Hill, or a funny little card game like Munchkin; all that matters is that it takes the form of a role-playing game. It also doesn't matter whether your game requires a game master, or if the adventure is random, or if there are predefined adventures.
There are very few rules to this contest, but for your game to be considered, you must stay within them:
- Each player must control exactly one "character" or "role" within the game.
- Each character or role must have some unique attributes that sets it apart from the others in the game.
- The characters must engage in an adventure or scenario together. This does not mean they necessarily have to work as a team, only that they must be on the same adventure at the same time.
- The game must be playable in 90 minutes or less, with 4 or less players.
- Your game must not cost more than $19.99 to manufacture, and the game packaging must be included in the manufacturing cost.
- Your game need not be published to the shop by the end of the contest, but it must comply with all shop publishing standards so that it is publish ready.
- This must be an original game created for this contest. You may not use one of your previously published works.
- You must submit your game to the crafter points submission form no later than April 15, 2012 at 10pm US Central Time.
- We reserve the right to reject submissions that infringe upon intellectual property, that are excessively vulgar, or that look like they have been slapped together in an afternoon.
There will be many prizes awarded as part of this contest.
- Grand Prize: 100,000 crafter points (aka 100 days of featured status for your game), and listed in our hall of fame. And you win the right to judge the next contest.
- Optional Grand Prize: Instead of the 100,000 crafter points, you can choose a half-day slot at our booth at Gen Con.
- Every Valid Submission: 5,000 crafter points.
- Plus the games are yours to sell in the shop afterwards, and any profits are yours to keep.
- We will also be awarding 10,000 bonus crafter points for each of three categories: best artwork, most creative game, and best written rules.