August 2012 Game Design Showdown - "Grow up!"
Please Read: Details on entering the Game Design Showdown.
And we have a winner!
I apologize for the delay, Gen Con was a blast. I now return you to your regularly scheduled GDS award ceremony...
1st place, with 13 points, Sociopathy by Taffer
2nd place, with 10 points, Fighting Trolls by melx
3rd place, with 9 points, What kills me makes me stronger by Gizensha
Other entries and their points:
6 points: Glenco by dobnarr
5 points: Urbs Salinarum by Mathew Rogers
5 points: Roll over Mars by regzr
Congrats to the winners! The critiques thread is now open for business!
Growth of scale: One of the things that I think can really give a game an epic feel is an increase in scope. Where the late game dynamics are bigger than in the early game and encompass much more... stuff. This month's Showdown challenges you to create a game that increases significantly in scope from beginning to end.
Pieces that scale: Most games have pieces (cards, tiles, and other bits) that are the same every time you play them. To go along with this month's theme of "growing up," entries must include pieces (cards, tiles, bits) that grow each time they come into play. In case it's difficult to have the pices physically grow, it is acceptable to have their effects grow instead :)
Word Limit: Let's go with an even 500 word limit this time.
Voting: My new method of bookkeeping has made it easy enough to track who has voted and for whom, so we will continue to use the new voting system. Rather than dividing 6 votes any way you like, you must award Gold (3 votes), Silver (2 votes), and Bronze (1 vote) Medals. Any entrant that does not award all three Medals will receive a Pyrite Meal (that's "Fool's Gold") worth -3 votes!
When submitting your entry: Please PM submissions to sedjtroll with the following subject line. PLEASE use the correct subject - it makes my job much easier!
Subject: GDS - August - [your username]
- Submissions: The 1st of the month through the 8th.
- Voting: Through the 15th. PM your votes to sedjtroll.
- Voting Format: Each person has 3 Medals (Gold, Silver, and Bronze - with values 3, 2, and 1 vote respectively) to distribute any way they choose among the GDS entries with the following restrictions:
- Entrants may not assign any Medals to their own entry!
- Entrants must assign all 3 Medals.
- An entrant who does not assign all 3 Medals will receive a Pyrite Medal (-3 votes) as a penalty.
Comments or Questions: Comments and questions about this Challenge were handled on the Comments Thread.
- CRITIQUES: After voting has closed the entries will be posted for comments and critiques. Post constructive critiques and commentary about the entries to this Challenge in the Critiques Thread
- GDS Details: For more details on how these Game Design Showdown Challenges work, especially the details around the word count and graphics limits, visit the GDS Wiki Page.
Enjoy, and good luck!