October 2012 Game Design Showdown - "Intellectual Property"
Please Read: Details on entering the Game Design Showdown.
Votes are in
Again, I apologize for the delay - but Essen was a great trip. I even got to meet some BGDF members while I was there!
This month we had 8 entries, and a 3-way tie for first!
12 votes: UNESCO World Heritage Sites: World Tour
12 votes: Route me please
12 votes: The Hangover Game
8 votes: Shrek 2: Race to Midnight
8 votes: Match.com's Magical Moment
7 votes: Wu-Tang Rhymes
4 votes: Match.com The Game
3 votes: Match.com matchmaker game
Congrats to all the entrants! The critique thread is open for business. See you next month!
The Games Industry: So the non-hobby board games industry is dominated by big IP games. All the tweens are dying to get their hands on Twighlight: Monopoly, and you KNOW soon there will be a Fifty Shades of Gray Adult Trvia game. Any major hit that comes out - be it movie, digital game, book, whatever - cashes in it's name by unleashing a torrent of purchasables with it. The Coke game, Pokemon Risk, the lego games, bayblade-opoly, football quiz game, NHL Snap, the list is exhaustive.
This month's showdown challenges you to create a game as if you were employed by an IP owning company to create a boardgame for one of their newly acquired properties.
It must sell to the world: Now remember that the hobby gamers market is limited. This will not be a game designed for the Agricola crowd. This will be aimed at the "masses" so to speak, it therefore needs to stick closely to the theme, be easy to learn, and easy to "get" what it's about. Choose an idea, and stick with it.
Word Limit: Let's go with an even 500 word limit this time. No need to write to that level though, remember the simpler your pitch, the more likely you are to get noticed :)
A Very Important Point: Remember guys that this competition is intended to be a learning and educational piece. We are learning to become better designers by working within a strict boundary, that is all. The final results of the competition must never be acted upon without obtaining correct permissions and licenses. You may never unfairly make money using other people Intellectual Property. All Trademarks, Service Marks, Copyrights, and Patents belong to their rightful owners.
Your choices: If you were in one of these industries, you would be given a single IP to work with, luckily because I am a generous CEO of "Make Believe Industries Ltd" I will give you a choice of 10, you may pick any single one from the list:
- Sesame Street
- Unesco World Heritage Sites
- Shrek 2
- The Siberian Tourist Board
- Cisco Routers
- Wu Tang Clan
- Revlon make up
- The Hangover
Very best of luck to you all!
Voting: Award a Gold, Silver, and Bronze (worth 3,2, and 1 points respectively) Medals to your three favorite entries. Any entrant that does not award all three Medals will receive a Pyrite Meal (that's "Fool's Gold") worth -3 votes!
When submitting your entry: Please PM submissions to sedjtroll (not Cogentesque) with the following subject line. PLEASE use the correct subject - it makes my job much easier!
Subject: GDS - OCT - [your username]
- Submissions: Friday the 5th through to Friday the 12th.
- Voting: Through to the the 19th. PM your votes to sedjtroll.
- Voting Format: Each person has 3 Medals (Gold, Silver, and Bronze - with values 3, 2, and 1 vote respectively) to distribute any way they choose among the GDS entries with the following restrictions:
- Entrants may not assign any Medals to their own entry!
- Entrants must assign all 3 Medals.
- An entrant who does not assign all 3 Medals will receive a Pyrite Medal (-3 votes) as a penalty.
Comments or Questions: Comments and questions about this Challenge were handled on the Comments Thread.
- CRITIQUES: After voting has closed the entries will be posted for comments and critiques. Post constructive critiques and commentary about the entries to this Challenge in the [Critiques Thread]
- GDS Details: For more details on how these Game Design Showdown Challenges work, especially the details around the word count and graphics limits, visit the GDS Wiki Page.
Enjoy, and good luck!