November 2012 Game Design Showdown - "Crossover Appeal"
Please Read: Details on entering the Game Design Showdown.
Sorry about the delay - despite being under the weather, I had a great time at BGG.con last week! Now that I'm back, I offer the dramatic conclusion of this month's Game Design Showdown...
The votes are in!
1st place, with 9 votes: The Risk-Takers of Catan, by Qwibbian
2nd place, with 8 votes: The videogame boardgame, by bike
Tied for 3rd place, with 5 votes each: Agents, military camps and gold, by regzr and Conglomerate, by AnEvenWeirderMove
5th place, with 3 votes: Mickey's Assault on Catan's Real Estate, by williamj35
Congrats! Thanks for entering, and I apologize again for the delay in posting the winner. The Critiques Thread is open for business!
Crossover: The recent acquisition of LucasArts by Disney has taken a lot of people by surprise. FaceBook is awash with images of the Death Star made to look like Micky Mouse, and jokes about Leia being one of the Disney princesses. But crossovers are nothing new - TV and comics have been crossing storylines for ages.
November's showdown challenges you to create a new Game Experience by combining aspects of existing, established games. Choose main mechanisms from 2 or 3 of the games below, and put them together to make a new and different Game Experience. 2 bonus votes for using the theme of Disney acquiring LucasArts :)
Games to choose from:
- Puerto Rico
- Power Grid
- Settlers of Catan
- Age of Steam / Railroad Tycoon
Word Limit: Let's go with an even 500 word limit this time.
Voting: Award a Gold, Silver, and Bronze (worth 3,2, and 1 points respectively) Medals to your three favorite entries. Any entrant that does not award all three Medals will receive a Pyrite Meal (that's "Fool's Gold") worth -3 votes!
When submitting your entry: Please PM submissions to sedjtroll with the following subject line. PLEASE use the correct subject - it makes my job much easier!
Subject: GDS - NOV - [your username]
- Submissions: Friday the 2nd through to Friday the 9th.
- Voting: Through to the the 16th. PM your votes to sedjtroll.
- Voting Format: Each person has 3 Medals (Gold, Silver, and Bronze - with values 3, 2, and 1 vote respectively) to distribute any way they choose among the GDS entries with the following restrictions:
- Entrants may not assign any Medals to their own entry!
- Entrants must assign all 3 Medals.
- An entrant who does not assign all 3 Medals will receive a Pyrite Medal (-3 votes) as a penalty.
Comments or Questions: Comments and questions about this Challenge were handled on the Comments Thread.
- CRITIQUES: After voting has closed the entries will be posted for comments and critiques. Post constructive critiques and commentary about the entries to this Challenge in the Critiques Thread.
- GDS Details: For more details on how these Game Design Showdown Challenges work, especially the details around the word count and graphics limits, visit the GDS Wiki Page.
Enjoy, and good luck!