Skip to Content

Logo / slogan Voting

111 replies [Last post]
phpbbadmin
Offline
Joined: 04/23/2013
Logo / slogan Voting

Scurra wrote:
FastLearner wrote:
BTW, does anyone have Acrobat 7, full-blown version? I could provide a PDF with form fields

Um, I'll have access to a copy next week. That's not very useful though right now, is it? (We've just ordered it for work.)

David,

Did you ever get that copy of Acrobat 7?

-Michael

Scurra
Scurra's picture
Offline
Joined: 09/11/2008
Logo / slogan Voting

Yes, but for various reasons I havent't been able to look at it properly.
What was it you wanted it for, again? :-)

phpbbadmin
Offline
Joined: 04/23/2013
Logo / slogan Voting

Scurra wrote:
Yes, but for various reasons I havent't been able to look at it properly.
What was it you wanted it for, again? :-)

We want to be able to use it to produce the BGDF business cards. Basically the member downloads the PDF, fills in their personal information (As acrobat 7 is able to do this via forms) and then prints the cards. We could probably do this in word but I'm not sure how good it would be.

-Michael

FastLearner
Offline
Joined: 12/31/1969
Logo / slogan Voting

Acrobat would be worlds better, as it instantly solves all font problems (for instance) and allows for better vector support, etc.

-- Matthew, who wishes he had BGDF business cards at the Gathering, and in retrospect should have prioritized it.

Zzzzz
Zzzzz's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/20/2008
Logo / slogan Voting

The QA department at work might have a copy of Acrobat 7 that I might be able to "quickly" use for this. I will check into it and see if I can help out in any way.

phpbbadmin
Offline
Joined: 04/23/2013
Logo / slogan Voting

Zzzzz wrote:
The QA department at work might have a copy of Acrobat 7 that I might be able to "quickly" use for this. I will check into it and see if I can help out in any way.

Matthew,

Welcome back! I could have used the business cards last weekend myself. Let's try and move forward with this. Short of actually giving you a copy of the software, what do we need to do to make this happen? You have an older version of acrobat If I rememeber correctly? Perhaps you could create it in the old version, send it to Dave, have him make the necessary mods to 'form-alize' it (hey I coined a term) then tweak it from there?

Thoughts?
-Michael

FastLearner
Offline
Joined: 12/31/1969
Logo / slogan Voting

Ok, the business cards are done.

You will need Acrobat 7 Reader to change the form information. You can get it here if you don't have it already.

The file can be found here: http://www.genimuse.com/bgdf/BGDF_Business_Cards.pdf

You may want to right-click and save it if you don't want to open it in your browser. It's about 950k.

To use it, just click where it says "Name" and replace it with your name, click where it says "Title" and replace it with your title, and click where it says "Email" and replace it with your email. Then print. You will not be able to save this unless you have the full version of Acrobat 7, but it's not like you really need to save the changes.

This is formatted to fit 10-up on a page. That means that it will print correctly on Avery business card paper, or that you can just print it on stiff paper (like cardstock) and cut them out. Either use a ruler and knife, or cut 1/2" off of top and bottom, 3/4" off of left and right, and then cut the cards apart (3.5" wide, 2" tall).

I don't have an A4 version. This one, due to the really crappy tools provided in Acrobat 5 (and probably 6 and 7), took ages to get the form fields to line up. If there's a big call, however, I'll come up with an A4 version. Let me know how big business cards are in the appropriate countries, though. (And it will take a while).

Any questions? Thoughts?

-- Matthew

FastLearner
Offline
Joined: 12/31/1969
Logo / slogan Voting

Oh, and...

I'm nearly positive that you won't have any font problems -- that full fonts should be included instead of subsetted -- but I'm not certain. If you can't type your name (and can, say, only type the letters MathewFrdick for the name), let me know and I'll fix it. Because I have the fonts on my system, I can't really test whether it's problematic or not.

-- Matthew

phpbbadmin
Offline
Joined: 04/23/2013
Logo / slogan Voting

FastLearner wrote:
Oh, and...

I'm nearly positive that you won't have any font problems -- that full fonts should be included instead of subsetted -- but I'm not certain. If you can't type your name (and can, say, only type the letters MathewFrdick for the name), let me know and I'll fix it. Because I have the fonts on my system, I can't really test whether it's problematic or not.

-- Matthew

Matthew,
Looks great! The only thing that needs to be added is a single line for the member's username. I just printed out a sheet on the color laser here. It looks great! Great job!

-Michael

FastLearner
Offline
Joined: 12/31/1969
Logo / slogan Voting

Ack!

Hmm, I hadn't thought of that... based it on your example on page 3 of this thread.

I'll have to think about how to make that work (where to fit it logically and such).

-- Matthew

FastLearner
Offline
Joined: 12/31/1969
Logo / slogan Voting

Ok, a version with space for your BGDF username is available at http://www.genimuse.com/bgdf/BGDF_Business_Cards_2.pdf

For whatever reason, it became 50% larger (about 1.5mb now) just adding this one field. Lame.

-- Matthew

phpbbadmin
Offline
Joined: 04/23/2013
Logo / slogan Voting

FastLearner wrote:
Ok, a version with space for your BGDF username is available at http://www.genimuse.com/bgdf/BGDF_Business_Cards_2.pdf

For whatever reason, it became 50% larger (about 1.5mb now) just adding this one field. Lame.

-- Matthew

Hmmm could it be something to do with the warning that was added? (You cannot save data typed into this form. Please print your completed form if you would like a copy for your records.) This did not come up on the old version. No problem as far as I'm concerned though.

Oh and did you hear Adobe bought Macromedia? I hope this doesn't signal the end of Freehand.

-M

FastLearner
Offline
Joined: 12/31/1969
Logo / slogan Voting

Yeah, the warning added itself. Very weird. You couldn't save the old version, either, but it wouldn't warn you -- it just told you that you needed Acrobat 7 Standard or Pro once you tried to save. I have no idea how the warning suddenly appeared.

And yeah, I just noticed that news (about Adobe and Macromedia) yesterday when I went to their site to find the URL for Reader 7. Stunning! They drove each other, those two, and were each others' prime competitors. I'm quite surprised by the purhcase.

On the direct competition front, they had Freehand vs. Illustrator, Dreamweaver vs. GoLive, Fireworks vs. ImageReady (heck, Adobe created ImageReady to respond to Fireworks), and to a degree, Flash vs. Adobe's SVG format. I'm quite concerned about how much of Macromedia they might kill off.

phpbbadmin
Offline
Joined: 04/23/2013
Logo / slogan Voting

FastLearner wrote:
Yeah, the warning added itself. Very weird. You couldn't save the old version, either, but it wouldn't warn you -- it just told you that you needed Acrobat 7 Standard or Pro once you tried to save. I have no idea how the warning suddenly appeared.

And yeah, I just noticed that news (about Adobe and Macromedia) yesterday when I went to their site to find the URL for Reader 7. Stunning! They drove each other, those two, and were each others' prime competitors. I'm quite surprised by the purhcase.

On the direct competition front, they had Freehand vs. Illustrator, Dreamweaver vs. GoLive, Fireworks vs. ImageReady (heck, Adobe created ImageReady to respond to Fireworks), and to a degree, Flash vs. Adobe's SVG format. I'm quite concerned about how much of Macromedia they might kill off.

Yeah... I don't see Macromedia's web software (Dreamweaver/Flash) going anywhere. They are just too dominant IMHO. My concern was with Freehand since it owns a smaller segment of the 'drawing app' market vs Illustrator. What really sucks is that I took the time to test drive Illustrator , Freehand, and Corel Draw and found that Freehand was the easiest to use, and thus I've spent a lot of time learning how to use it. It would suck if it got assimilated.

-Michael
P.S. How about that Gathering report?

Zzzzz
Zzzzz's picture
Offline
Joined: 06/20/2008
Logo / slogan Voting

Wow very nice biz card!

phpbbadmin
Offline
Joined: 04/23/2013
Logo / slogan Voting

So... any reason not to release these cards to the public?

-Michael

FastLearner
Offline
Joined: 12/31/1969
Logo / slogan Voting

No reason, no. Though... it would make it easy for someone to make their own "Administrator" or "Founder" or "Owner" or whatever card.

Maybe I should change it so that the member type is a drop-down thingy, where you can select from some common things like "Member" or "Designer" or what have you (as many people will probably want the fact that they're a designer on the card, not a member of the group). If we come up with a list, I think I can make that change pretty easily.

On an unrelated note, I like the drop shadows on the logo, but purposefully didn't put a box around it because, from my design perspective, there are already plenty of horizontal and vertical lines on the page. As such, if you're willing to give it a try, I made a version without the outer box (and different compression, making it about half the file size). I tried it on a screen capture of the home page and I personally think it looks good.

http://www.genimuse.com/bgdf/BGDF_Logo.gif

-- Matthew

phpbbadmin
Offline
Joined: 04/23/2013
Logo / slogan Voting

FastLearner wrote:
No reason, no. Though... it would make it easy for someone to make their own "Administrator" or "Founder" or "Owner" or whatever card.

Maybe I should change it so that the member type is a drop-down thingy, where you can select from some common things like "Member" or "Designer" or what have you (as many people will probably want the fact that they're a designer on the card, not a member of the group). If we come up with a list, I think I can make that change pretty easily.

Perhaps...

Member
Game Designer
Game Designer / Member
Hobbyist Game Designer

Quote:

On an unrelated note, I like the drop shadows on the logo, but purposefully didn't put a box around it because, from my design perspective, there are already plenty of horizontal and vertical lines on the page. As such, if you're willing to give it a try, I made a version without the outer box (and different compression, making it about half the file size). I tried it on a screen capture of the home page and I personally think it looks good.

http://www.genimuse.com/bgdf/BGDF_Logo.gif

-- Matthew

Well it looks fine on an all white backgroup. But go to tiki.bgdf.com and imagine how it would look there, especially given the dozen or so different possible themes to choose from.

-Michael
P.S. I really like the idea of a drop down box for the 'public' version of the business card. I think for the admins we could use the one you've already provided so that way we can type moderator or administrator or administrator / designer or what have you.

FastLearner
Offline
Joined: 12/31/1969
Logo / slogan Voting

Here's the biz card with the menu for role rather than an open text box.

http://www.genimuse.com/bgdf/BGDF_Business_Cards_3.pdf

Maybe some flyers would be good, too, that people could optionally print out and leave at cons. You had something at one point, didn't you, Michael?

-- Matthew

phpbbadmin
Offline
Joined: 04/23/2013
Logo / slogan Voting

FastLearner wrote:
Here's the biz card with the menu for role rather than an open text box.

http://www.genimuse.com/bgdf/BGDF_Business_Cards_3.pdf

Maybe some flyers would be good, too, that people could optionally print out and leave at cons. You had something at one point, didn't you, Michael?

-- Matthew

Matthew,

Thanks. Matthew do you mind if the file is hosted at Genimuse or would you rather I move it to BGDF? As for a flyer, I did have something at one point. It wasn't great though. I'll see if I can find it. Perhaps I can spruce it up with the new graphics. I'll see what I can do..

-Michael

FastLearner
Offline
Joined: 12/31/1969
Logo / slogan Voting

In an ideal world it would be hosted here, but realistically, my traffic at Genimuse is still plenty low and it's a 1.5mb file, so sure, you can leave it hosted at Genimuse so as to not eat bandwidth here.

You might, just in case, want to have a copy stored locally here, though, or on your home computer or what have you, should Genimuse ever... vanish or what have you.

-- Matthew

Syndicate content


forum | by Dr. Radut