Skip to Content

Comments and Questions on the January 2006 Challenge

30 replies [Last post]
Brykovian
Brykovian's picture

Please use this thread for any comments, questions, or clarifications regarding the January 2006 GDS Challenge (found here).

-Bryk

Kreitler
Re: Comments and Questions on the January 2006 Challenge

Brykovian wrote:
Please use this thread for any comments, questions, or clarifications regarding the January 2006 GDS Challenge.

-Bryk

Bryk...you're a sadist...

K.

Brykovian
Brykovian's picture

Kreitler wrote:

Awwww ... you make me blush! ;-D

-Bryk

doho123
doho123's picture

Kreitler wrote:

Bah, this one is easy.

Gamebot
Gamebot's picture

Does "winter sport / activity" include the following?

- Snowball Fight
- Ice Fishing
- Snow Shoveling

Kreitler

doho123 wrote:

Bah, this one is easy.

I thought so too, until I put "Action/Dexterity Game" up against "Not just for kids". Maybe I'm just a weenie...

K.

Johan
Johan's picture

From the rules that wrote:
Not "Just a Kiddy Game" - The game should be something that an adult would be interested in playing.

Since my kids see me as an adult, I think that I can qualify as one (they will be 15 and 17 this year). That would mean that if I don’t want to play the game, the game I disqualified. ;)… or should a non game freak like to play it???

// Johan

Brykovian
Brykovian's picture

Johan wrote:
From the rules that wrote:
Not "Just a Kiddy Game" - The game should be something that an adult would be interested in playing.

Since my kids see me as an adult, I think that I can qualify as one (they will be 15 and 17 this year). That would mean that if I don’t want to play the game, the game I disqualified. ;)… or should a non game freak like to play it???

The adult *can* be a game freak. ;-) And kids *can* like to play it too. But, it shouldn't simply be a Hungy Hippos deal where normal adults would scoff and set it up on the kids' table in order to go back and play something else. I think that Crokinole and Carabande would both qualify as dexterity games that would be "not just a kiddy game".

-Bryk

Brykovian
Brykovian's picture

Gamebot wrote:

Quote:
- Snowball Fight

Yes.

Quote:
- Ice Fishing

Yes.

Quote:
- Snow Shoveling

No ... unless you can make some kind of competition out of it ... in which case I'd allow it to be submitted and let the voters decide. ;-)

-Bryk

seo
seo's picture

A question about the new voting system (I know it's a bit early, but, anyway...): what about self voting? Is it still banned? I'm strongly against self voting, but just want to know what are the rules now.

Seo

Kreitler

Gamebot wrote:

- Snowball Fight
- Ice Fishing
- Snow Shoveling

Geez, Dan -- your list contains my 2 top ideas. :-(
Back to the drawing board.

K.

Hamumu

Hungry Hungry Hippos isn't for adults?!

Brykovian
Brykovian's picture

seo wrote:
A question about the new voting system (I know it's a bit early, but, anyway...): what about self voting? Is it still banned?

Self-voting is still banned. The bullet point specifying that does exist in the Showdown Overview thread.

-Bryk

Brykovian
Brykovian's picture

Hamumu wrote:
Hungry Hungry Hippos isn't for adults?!

Well ... um ... of course it is, Mike. Now -- feel free to get back to your game. ;-)

-Bryk

Xaqery
Xaqery's picture

OK Nobody take Curling!

Epigone

Brykovian wrote:
Quote:
- Snow Shoveling

No ... unless you can make some kind of competition out of it ... in which case I'd allow it to be submitted and let the voters decide. ;-)

-Bryk
I would think Snow Shoveling is definitely a winter activity. Does "winter sport/activity" mean something different than "(winter sport) or (winter activity)"? Hm. For that matter, are all winter sports also "winter activities"?

Gogolski
Gogolski's picture

Xagery wrote:
OK Nobody take Curling!
I wont, I first was going to take breakdance-curling but then I realised that a table of 1.5m by 3m is way too small...

Cheese.

Zzzzz
Zzzzz's picture

Xaqery wrote:
OK Nobody take Curling!

Is curling really considered a winter only activity/sport? I thought they played on ice rinks, which means it could be played indoors and year round.

Ok I am just teasing, because I would have never thought of curling! =P

Hambone

Quote:
Is curling really considered a winter only activity/sport? I thought they played on ice rinks, which means it could be played indoors and year round.

I assumed that we were looking for activities associated with winter. Basketball and Football are played in the winter, but I would not consider them "Winter Sports". Conversely, many people ice skate in the summer, but I would consider it a "winter activity".

A different question, what does Dexterity/Action mean? Must the game require some dexterous skill? (I have no idea if that is grammatically correct) This is a horrible question but I couln't think if a different way to ask this: Is it possible to create a game that meets the criteria that is playable by someone with no hands?

Brykovian
Brykovian's picture

Epigone wrote:
I would think Snow Shoveling is definitely a winter activity. Does "winter sport/activity" mean something different than "(winter sport) or (winter activity)"? Hm. For that matter, are all winter sports also "winter activities"?

You are correct, Epigone ... the quote you gave was me being something of a smartypants.

-Bryk

Brykovian
Brykovian's picture

Hambone wrote:
I assumed that we were looking for activities associated with winter. Basketball and Football are played in the winter, but I would not consider them "Winter Sports". Conversely, many people ice skate in the summer, but I would consider it a "winter activity".

Yes ... a sport or activity that is associated with winter. And, since people always seem to need me to be much more specific than is my nature ... I am referring to the type of winter that usually occurs as you get a greater distance away from the equator -- the kind that involves ice, snow, and/or colder temperatures.

Quote:
A different question, what does Dexterity/Action mean? Must the game require some dexterous skill? (I have no idea if that is grammatically correct) This is a horrible question but I couln't think if a different way to ask this: Is it possible to create a game that meets the criteria that is playable by someone with no hands?

In my layman's definition, a dexterity/action game is one where things move through space in real-time ... usually due to someone flicking it, tossing it, bumping it, etc. It can sometimes use a device to do the work and sometimes relies on the players themselves to cause the movement. I would think that you could probably design something that fits that description that doesn't require a player to use his/her hands.

Anyone else want to have a go at a better definition than that?

-Bryk

doho123
doho123's picture

Does "Elderly People Wintering in Ft. Lauderdale from Milwaukee" count?

Hambone

Would a game that has a significant use of dice qualify?

Brykovian
Brykovian's picture

doho123 wrote:
Does "Elderly People Wintering in Ft. Lauderdale from Milwaukee" count?

Depends if they're ice skating or playing hockey or something along those lines ... I would expect that people from Florida wintering in Wisconsin would be more likely to find traditional winter activities to participate in.

With that said, if you're planning to make a game about the act of "snow birding" ... I'm not quite sure what to say about that. (I don't really want to think too much about the "activities" of elderly folks wintering in Ft. Lauderdale.)

Hambone wrote:
Would a game that has a significant use of dice qualify?

The components used are completely up to you.

-Bryk

Hambone

I should re-state my question.

Does the fact that a game uses dice qualify it as a dexterity game?
What if it is primarily a dice game?
Although dice rolling does not require skill (debatable), it does require dexterity.

seo
seo's picture

I would say that if the only dexterity required is being able to roll dice, then the game will NOT qualify well in my scoring. OTOH, if the game is basically a dice rolling game AND requires the rolled dice to fall into some small area of a surface, or to fall one on top of the other, or the players are expected to perform one cartwheel per rolled point or something, then it's ok to me.

Seo

clapjaws
Can you call "dibs!" ??

Gogolski wrote:
Xagery wrote:
OK Nobody take Curling!

Crap - I just saw this - are you being serious?? I just signed up recently and admittedly don't know the ropes yet, nor who's just joking, etc. I thought I had a decent idea involving curling - now I shouldn't use it...?

Xaqery
Xaqery's picture

I was joking... Use Curling if you want. I am sorry about the confusion.

- Dwight

clapjaws

Xaqery wrote:
I was joking... Use Curling if you want. I am sorry about the confusion.

- Dwight

Whew! Thanks man - I really didn't want to tick anyone off. At least, not so soon! :)

Jim

Brykovian
Brykovian's picture

A couple quick replies ...

Dice ... if you are thinking of making a ski-jumping themed version of Yahtzee, then I'd say it doesn't fit. However, if you need to do something with the dice that requires the payer to use some physical skills (as Seo did a nice job of giving examples of), then it would be fine. Simply having to roll some dice does not a dexterity game make. Players having to simultaneously roll dice, then grab new dice from the table in a grabby-hands free-for-all might qualify though. ;-)

Curling ... or any other specific theme for that matter ... there are no restrictions on more than 1 entry using the same exact theme. It's happened before and, imo, gives a nice way to see which game is the better.

-Bryk

seo
seo's picture

Brykovian wrote:
Players having to simultaneously roll dice, then grab new dice from the table in a grabby-hands free-for-all might qualify though.

Wow, that gave me a great idea for my art show opening game (one I begun working on for the last GDS, with attendants 'hunting' waiters for food). Thanks, Bryk! :)

Seo

Syndicate content

forum | by Dr. Radut