Skip to Content

Comments and Questions on June 2005 Challenge

16 replies [Last post]
Brykovian
Brykovian's picture

Use this thread to make comments, ask questions, and discussion clarifications on the June 2005 Challenge (found here) ...

-Bryk

Anonymous

can assembling a group be the end goal or does the group have to be used in the game?

Brykovian
Brykovian's picture

evernoob wrote:
can assembling a group be the end goal or does the group have to be used in the game?

The group must be used within the game.

-Bryk

Kreitler

Brykovian wrote:
The group must be used within the game.

-Bryk

Not to be thick, but what constitutes "used within the game?" Could you assemble a group, which, once complete, earned you a VP, got removed, and allowed you to assemble a new group?

K.

Brykovian
Brykovian's picture

The assembling of the team should not be used as a primary goal condition ... the team should be assembled as a tool to use to reach the goal/scoring condition(s).

Hope that's clearer ... we're getting close to one of those grey (aliens) areas again ... I'd be willing to hear discussion on this, if anyone cares to pay the 2-cents ... ;-)

-Bryk

Kreitler

Brykovian wrote:
Hope that's clearer ... we're getting close to one of those grey (aliens) areas again ... I'd be willing to hear discussion on this, if anyone cares to pay the 2-cents ... ;-)

-Bryk

OK, I'm just too thick. Can you give me an example from an existing game?

K.

sedjtroll
sedjtroll's picture

Kreitler wrote:
OK, I'm just too thick. Can you give me an example from an existing game?

I think he means you can't say "the first to build their team wins the game". Your example of building a team, scoring a point and clearing that team to make way for another seems to be maybe a little too close to winning simply by building teams. If you built a team, and then that team gave you an ability, then you'd be fine...

an example off the top of my head:

On your turn you draw a card, then can play sets of cards (like rummy) to the table. Depending on the color of the set, you get an ability. Like having a blue set means you can draw 2 cards a turn. Having a red set means you can play cards on other people's sets... etc. With the goal being most cards played total or something.

- Seth

Hamumu

The kind of thing I was thinking of was more like computer games (but you see it in board games like Mutant Chronicles). You literally pick a team of guys (or items, weapons, cows, aliens), and that's what you get to use in the game. Your selection will affect how you do in the game. If you have a hacker, you can hack through the doors, or if you have a demolitions guy, you can blow them up. You might go for a strategy of lots of little guys, or you might have a few big ones, or whatever your game allows you to choose between. Like in Talisman, how you pick your character, except here you pick a team.

Or think of it like elementary school - picking a team!

That's what it sounded like to me.

Kreitler

Thanks to both of you. The examples helped a lot. I'm not sure why I found it so hard to understand. Maybe I should start sleeping more than 4 hours a night. :P

K.

Brykovian
Brykovian's picture

Sorry for the delay in responding ... but it looks like things were taken care of in any case. Seth really nailed the big picture, and Hamumu gave a great example of the traditional way this sort of thing is used.

While the team doesn't need to only be assembled at the start of the game to be used throughout, Seth has it right in that the assembly of the team itself shouldn't be the end goal ... just something that makes reaching the end goal easier.

-Bryk

Scurra
Scurra's picture

Once again, I'd like to curse the 800-word limit (despite having lobbied fairly hard for it originally.)
It's just so hard to try and explain everything without it sounding totally incoherent (people said this repeatedly about my previous entries!)

I think it's going to take longer to get it edited down than it did to write the original thing in the first place...

Brykovian
Brykovian's picture

Scurra wrote:
Once again, I'd like to curse the 800-word limit...

Curse away, big boy! I'm sure you won't hurt its feelings. ;-D

Perhaps a nicely-drawn picture would help ... lol :-D

-Bryk

Challengers
How to be concise

Scurra wrote:
Once again, I'd like to curse the 800-word limit (despite having lobbied fairly hard for it originally.)
It's just so hard to try and explain everything without it sounding totally incoherent (people said this repeatedly about my previous entries!)

I think it's going to take longer to get it edited down than it did to write the original thing in the first place...

Well, here' how to reduce your 63-word message 27%:

Once again, I'd like to curse the 800-word limit (ironically, I lobbied hard for it!)
I sound totally incoherent trying to explain everything. (My previous entries bear this out!)
I think it's going to take longer to whittle the original than it did to create it!

Hmmm. maybe we could send the WinZipped version of our text?
I'm just funnin' ya. I myself tend to under-use the 800-word limit.
After the critiques of vagueness in my last entry, I used practically all 800 words!

Good luck with the editing chores!

Mitch

Anonymous
Re: How to be concise

Challengers wrote:
Scurra wrote:

Well, here' how to reduce your 63-word message 27%:

Once again, I'd like to curse the 800-word limit (ironically, I lobbied hard for it!)
I sound totally incoherent trying to explain everything. (My previous entries bear this out!)
I think it's going to take longer to whittle the original than it did to create it!

Hmmm. maybe we could send the WinZipped version of our text?
I'm just funnin' ya. I myself tend to under-use the 800-word limit.
After the critiques of vagueness in my last entry, I used practically all 800 words!

Good luck with the editing chores!

Mitch

27%??

how about:

danged word limit... what did i ever see in you?

or

danged word limit

sedjtroll
sedjtroll's picture
Re: How to be concise

evernoob wrote:
danged word limit

Or...

...dang.

- Seth

Anonymous

but then i would have asked

whassa matta?

and the answer would be

word limit

Brykovian
Brykovian's picture

There are still 2 days left for voting on this month's Challenge ... please give the entries a read-through (link) and PM me your list of the top 3.

Thanks,
-Bryk

Syndicate content

forum | by Dr. Radut