Skip to Content

Comments and Questions on the June 2006 Challenge

121 replies [Last post]
Brykovian
Brykovian's picture

Use this thread for any comments, questions, or clarifications regarding the June 2006 GDS Challenge, "Growing Season" (found here).

-Bryk

OutsideLime

Hey, I like it.... no fair entering Queen's Shepherd though, Chad! ;)

So, let me extend a hearty challenge...

*blows the imaginary dust off the knuckles of both clenched fists, raises them defensively*

...to all you brainiacs and maniacs, aspirers-to-the-throne, showdowners, throwdowners, and (in the spirit of this month's theme) hoedowners!

Take your best shot gents, good luck and may some great games come of this!

~Josh

Brykovian
Brykovian's picture

OutsideLime wrote:
no fair entering Queen's Shepherd though, Chad! ;)

I don't believe "Queen's Shepherd" would fit the "Crop Rotation" restriction. ;-p

-Bryk

doho123
doho123's picture

Quote:
Game entries should somehow represent how land is being used, including the concept of "crop rotation" (the periodic changing of what a specific piece of land is being used for).

This doesn't seem to mesh with the theme of "crops and/or animals". It seems to imply "crops, or crops with animals."

So, which is it? Given the usual limitations of 800 words and design limitations, I doubt that anyone will include animals if it's the second case.

Brykovian
Brykovian's picture

doho123 wrote:
This doesn't seem to mesh with the theme of "crops and/or animals". It seems to imply "crops, or crops with animals."

Fields can be rotated between fallow (non-use), to/from different types of plants, and to/from different types of animals. And don't be confused by the word "crop" in the term "crop rotation" -- you can be raising a "crop" of pigs if that helps you at all.

There might be a reason that you'd graze a herd of larger animals in a field one year, then a herd of smaller animals the next year.

Also keep in mind that non-use can be a phase of crop rotation.

-Bryk

dsavillian

Would you like the theme to stick with traditional farming (ie: wheat, oats, etc... ) or can we 'draw outside the lines' a bit and develop a non-traditional theme?

EDIT:

Oh, and being from Saskatchewan (big place in Canada where people do nothing but farm and mine uranium), I think I have an unfair advantage :P

Jpwoo
Jpwoo's picture

Planting clover and letting a field be used as pasture is good for the land I think. (I certainly don't have a degree in agriculture.)

LIIIIMMMMEEE!!!!!!

I have you this time, there will be no threepeat!

Brykovian
Brykovian's picture

dsavillian wrote:
Would you like the theme to stick with traditional farming (ie: wheat, oats, etc... ) or can we 'draw outside the lines' a bit and develop a non-traditional theme?

As long as it has to do with purposefully raising a set of plants and/or animals, you can get as non-traditional as you like. It can be a tree farm or a fish hatchery, or a worm farm, etc ... as long as you make it work as a territory-control game with some land-use/rotation and player interaction.

-Bryk

Brykovian
Brykovian's picture

Jpwoo wrote:
Planting clover and letting a field be used as pasture is good for the land I think.

Especially for the nearby honey bee farmer. ;-)

-Bryk

OutsideLime

Jpwoo wrote:
LIIIIMMMMEEE!!!!!!

I have you this time, there will be no threepeat!

Oh, but there will. Don't you guys know I'm a farming expert? I farm all the time, raising crops and whatnot. Why, I farmed just yesterday, and let me tell you, it was a significant harvest. Corn as high as an elephant's eye, and all that.

~Josh

seo
seo's picture

My game will include crop rotation, but will focus on potatoes and tomatoes. I've been researching and found that they thrive on Lime-free soils, just like me. ;-P

Seo

Gogolski
Gogolski's picture

doho123 wrote:
Quote:
Game entries should somehow represent how land is being used, including the concept of "crop rotation" (the periodic changing of what a specific piece of land is being used for).

I actually have an idea with crops and animals, it was the first thing that popped in my mind...

Oeps, now I can't enter because I betrayed the identity of my games owner... (or something)

Cheese!

doho123
doho123's picture

Ok, I might just have to submit an entry this month to knock Line off his little high-horse.

sedjtroll
sedjtroll's picture

I'd like to see an entry about a 'crop of young cadets' or the like - where you 'raise', or train, people to do a certain thing...

In the meantime, every time I see "Crop Rotation", all I can think of is the Magic card that lets you sacrifice a land to go get another one from your deck.

- Seth

doho123
doho123's picture

sedjtroll wrote:
I'd like to see an entry about a 'crop of young cadets' or the like
- Seth

Like carrots and corn, Cadets also taste very good in soup.

OutsideLime

I brought this upon myself, really.

*sigh*

~Josh

Jpwoo
Jpwoo's picture

Nothing like a little friendly rivalry.

Yogurt
Yogurt's picture

So Territory Control is like Area Control, right -- like Dogs in the Park?

"While I hadn't expected to receive so many farming games about puppy mills..."

doho123
doho123's picture

So, I've decided to make my entry about the social, economic, and health related issues of the Viking Aquaducts built in Japan around the 19th century. However, I'm having a hard time finding any information regarding the Viking Aquaducts built in Japan around the 19th century.

Can anyone point ouot to me a good place to find some info on the Viking Aquaducts built in Japan around the 19th century so I can help defeat Lime?

Yogurt
Yogurt's picture

yogurt wrote:
So Territory Control is like Area Control, right

Or wait, is Risk a territorial control game?

Also, Doho, for Viking settlements in Japan, try here: http://www.uchronia.net/intro.html :)

Brykovian
Brykovian's picture

Territory control means that the primary object of the game should be to control territory.

:-)

-Bryk

Yogurt
Yogurt's picture

The Vikings (Norse) actually found themselves in a very game-y situation farming in Greenland.

They valued cows, sheep and goats in decreasing order for prestige, but found those animals thrived in the reverse order.

They similarly had to choose between importing prestige items, such as stained glass for a cathedral, or survival items such as tools.

They had to estimate how much hay they would need for their herds to survive the winter. Store too much and you've wasted effort. Store too little and your herd suffers.

Different fjords had different microclimates, with benefits and drawbacks. Fjords are isolated from each other and require travel by boat.

The Norse built small summer outstations to take advantage of other territorities.

The Inuit arrived soon after and presented competition for these Europeans.

Possible drawbacks for developing this situation into a game are that:

* thematically, medieval farmers on an island is a pretty tired situation (build a cathedral? Never done THAT before!);

* far too much depends on the unpredictable element of winter -- "Oh, I didn't store enough food. I guess I lose."

* if you allow players to affect the weather, the game would probably be a lot like Amun-Re. :)

(All the Norse history is from Jared Diamond's Collapse.)

Farming presents all sorts of game-like choices. It's a great theme that, despite all the farming games out there, still has a lot of room to explore. For example, I haven't seen crop rotation before. I'm looking forward to reading the entries for this one.

Oh and if anyone was designing a game about Greenland, um, sorry! I'll spoil marijuana grow-ops next. ;)

Yogurt

Jpwoo
Jpwoo's picture

Yogurt has already threepeated, in the first three GDS.... So I guess I can tolerate another win by Lime...

Now I want indian food... yogurt sauce with lime, some spicy curry....

*tummy grumbles*

doho123
doho123's picture

Brykovian wrote:
Territory control means that the primary object of the game should be to control territory.

:-)

-Bryk

hmmm, I wouldn't think that "Genre: Territory Control" would mean that it would be the primary object of the game. I would just assume it would mean that a main driver for how the game works obtaining and controlling territory.

Which, I'm not sure what the exact difference is.

Jpwoo
Jpwoo's picture

My entry is in!

I did my best to copy what I thought OutsideLime copying Seo copying Scurra copying ReluctantGeneral, copying Lego, copying Bryk, copying kniza, copying yogurt copying doho, copying sedj, copying gogolski, copying me, copying Lime would look like.

(Apologies to those I missed.)

Nestalawe
Nestalawe's picture

Mines in ;)

Twas fun researching crop rotation, and my backyard looks great with the new corn seedlings. I could only fit one sheep in the sheep plot though, so I'm not sure how profitable my venture will be, especially as I don't have a dog, so had to leave my hamster on guard to make sure the sheep doesn't eat the seedlings. But he's a staunch hamster, or is it a she? How can one tell, really?

Brykovian
Brykovian's picture

Nestalawe wrote:
so had to leave my hamster on guard

Cry havoc! And let loose the hamsters of war!!! ;-p

-Bryk

Nestalawe
Nestalawe's picture

Brykovian wrote:
Nestalawe wrote:
so had to leave my hamster on guard

Cry havoc! And let loose the hamsters of war!!! ;-p

-Bryk

Ah Bryk me friend, I remember the good old days running around in that Circle, chasing the Nine Hamsters of War, our manic visages of glee. You and me ol' buddy, you won't find any hardier gladiators than we. Lions and Tigers and Bears (oh my!) sure, anyone can stand face to maw with a lion and hold their own. But when the Hamsters of War are unleashed into the arena there are few men willing or able to stand tall and shout their defiance, control their bladders and sway fate as we did...

Those were the days...

Brykovian
Brykovian's picture

Nestalawe wrote:
Those were the days...

Indeed! :-)

(you been taking lessons from Hannibabble? ;-p)

-Bryk

Nestalawe
Nestalawe's picture

Brykovian wrote:
Nestalawe wrote:
Those were the days...

Indeed! :-)

(you been taking lessons from Hannibabble? ;-p)

-Bryk

lol!

I have been away a looooong time so don't really know whats up there, though I must confess I am the one who introduced him to WOK ;)

Xaqery
Xaqery's picture

Alas, while I have a great idea (HONEST!) I have no time to create a GDS entry. Good Luck all.

- Dwight

Syndicate content

forum | by Dr. Radut